Coinstar reject tray study

Monstarules

Mar 1, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those of you who know me, know that I am an avid urban treasure hunter, and that I find loads of coins in the reject tray of the Coinstar. However, for a long time, I've wondered how many coins are actually rejected on a given business day. I've found an extremely active machine in a rough part of town, which provides me with a perfect environment to find a wide range of coins. However, these coins do not sit long, as they are swept up by bums, the homeless, junkies, fellow coin hunters, machine users, my friends, and me. So the question is, on average, how many coins are rejected on a given day?

I recently wanted to get an idea of how many coins are actually rejected by the machine. An idea occurred to me a while back, when someone joked about stuffing a sock in the reject slot of a vending machine to ensure that coins wouldn't be rejected. It would definitely be a way to find out the number of coins rejected in a day, as they wouldn't fall out of the machine unless about 2-3 pounds of coins happened to sit on top of the sock at one point in time (in which case, everything would fall out at once to the joy/confusion of the user of the machine). It also wouldn't make the machine jam, unless someone was feeding it an absurd amount of rejectable coins and the coins were piled high enough on the floor. The reject ramp in the machine itself is about 6-7" long, and has lipped sides. The entire tray (and the sock) could hold hundreds of coins of multiple sizes.

Is this illegal? It's not exactly tampering with the machine's function (as the coins still are rejected, they just don't reach the end of the chute), so it's technically not, but I still wouldn't recommend doing it, especially because it looks suspicious and could (in a rare circumstance) cause issues. A Coinstar or store employee would definitely be less than thrilled to find a sock jammed up the reject chute with 2 pounds of crusty/foreign coins behind it. People in years past have done this as a prank before to make vending machines jam, and that's probably why the reject ramps in the Coinstar machines are open topped, so that coins can fall to the sides if it starts filling up with an absurd amount of coins. I'm doing this in the name of numismatic science, and I intend to do it at a few different sites to generate good results. I DO NOT SUGGEST THAT YOU DO THIS YOURSELF. I know the staff of the stores I'm doing this at well, and I can say it is legitimately a research project. I accept no responsibility if you get in trouble with store management.

How will I be documenting the findings? Here, of course, and I'll organize it with Microsoft Excel. The rejects will be documented into the following categories (up for changes and suggestions):
- Trash
- Religious items
- Regular foreign coins
- Foreign coins
- Clad currency
- Old U.S. pennies
- Old U.S. nickels
- Old (before 1970 in most cases) foreign coins
- Silver foreign coins
- Silver U.S. coins
- Numismatic rarities
- Jewelry of any type
- Gold coins

This will not include finds in the dirt cups, or plastic jars inside the machines. This is a study purely on the external reject tray (I'll publish a study on the dirt cup eventually). Will I keep the finds? Yeah, I'm still hunting for coins, but I want to get qualative and quantative results on what is actually rejected. Picture related, it's the 2 most recent silver Coinstar finds I've made in the reject tray. 1957-P Rosie and a 1962 Young Head.

1zluheH.jpg

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People do this all the time to different vending machines. Not legal but these folks are desperate. I guess it's better than them holding a knife to our throats.
Marvin

OP
OP
Monstarules

Monstarules

Mar 1, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People do this all the time to different vending machines. Not legal but these folks are desperate. I guess it's better than them holding a knife to our throats.
Marvin

It's also done as a prank, and apparently a lot of college kids do it. I read the Coinstar literature and it's not illegal for the machines, but I wouldn't suggest leaving it stuck in there for a week. Coinstar machines reject many things that are not legal tender in the USA, such as trash and keys, and anything that falls into the reject tray is not recognized (whether it is or not) as an acceptable coin, and therefore is not accepted. Basically, the reject tray is a trash basket.

It's also a legitimate research project for (not only Coinstar hunters) a Statistics class.

I've researched this specific idea EXTREMELY carefully.

I'm also making sure I include a note stapled to the sock stating that it is for a survey.

Also it says people are welcome to keep what they find, or stash it for Coinstar if they find it.

Last edited:

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think this is a criminal act, since you're preventing customers from retrieving the rejected coins and you will benefit financially from the action. It's one thing if they're dumb enough to leave them behind, but stopping them from getting their rejects would be classified as a crime, in my opinion.

And stating that you are just doing it for a survey doesn't make it okay. That note from you means jack squat in the eyes of the law. Not judging anyone here, just trying to keep you and others out of jail.

OP
OP
Monstarules

Monstarules

Mar 1, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could also sit outside of the place for 8 hours and survey the people who use it/collect what they leave too. I'd much rather do that. However I'm not too sure people would cooperate, the place that I want to get some results from is in a rough part of town.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rationalization - a very powerful mental condition. :coffee2:

OP
OP
Monstarules

Monstarules

Mar 1, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rationalization - a very powerful mental condition. :coffee2:

This is true :laughing7: I can rationalize this, but it's also technically not illegal (when I say I'm sure it's not, I'm sure it's not illegal yet), but I've decided I'm not gonna do it.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am thankful that the Coinstar machines make so much blasted noise most people don't hear the rejects being rejected.

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would this be vandalism? Could you sit up an unobtrusive camera and note when people are checking the tray to determine best time to hit it?

OP
OP
Monstarules

Monstarules

Mar 1, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would this be vandalism? Could you sit up an unobtrusive camera and note when people are checking the tray to determine best time to hit it?

That's a sound idea! I'm sure that Coinstar/store employees would be confused out of their mind though, and it might actually obstruct the reject slot entirely too, which is not what one wants to do. However, if you mean like, on the wall, I'd have to get permission from the store.

Last edited:

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi , Do a survey on the amount of people who wash. Their Hands after touching these machines. As no body ever mentions hygiene in these coinstar threads. TP

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You should ask the Coinstar King about this......know whut I mean?:hello:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Monstarules!

I've learned a lot about coinstars from your posts. There's never anything in my local coinstar, but in the past prior to the public catching on I found great treasures in them reject trays.

I'm concerned you're "reaching" now. I understand but do disagree. Be safe, be careful, and don't exceed legalities and moral convictions.

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A camera would have to be outside the store but able to monitor the machinne.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually check for grocery bags jammed in the chute to allow someone to harvest the coins on their own time. I wouldn't do it since the employess see me checking the chutes several times a week. Savvy customers who know about the reject chute would also probably check if they didn't get the rejects back. Another idea is to harvest the garbage can beside the coinstar. I've seen people just throw silver away in there but couldn't bring myself to go in the rotten nastiness and dirty diapers for it.
Lets talk hygiene, the Coinstars are already nasty enough. They're not as nasty as the bay and river water I often detect in but getting close lol. An easier idea is to just make people an offer on the rejects. I try n keep a handful of half dollars and dollars and offer to buy the coins off people. Its tedious and most people don't want to play ball but when I am waiting to check it anyway and someones using it I have picked up stuff that they otherwise would put in their pocket. You also better be careful who you ask that they don't complain to the manager. I got a super beat walking liberty half dollar that way. I gave the guy too much for it and he wanted more. I laughed, gave him two bucks and said " a minute ago you were happy enough to get 50 cents for it. I am hooking you up!"

OP
OP
Monstarules

Monstarules

Mar 1, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, someone tried something. I just actually found a blockage this morning, a filthy rag, and found about 20 pesos, some CAD stuff, and a bunch of clad glued together with Coke and chewing gum. No I didn't place it, and no I don't intend to place any blocks because it's not morally right. However I am now checking the reject tray entirely/thoroughly now. People, if you're not finding things, check for blockages.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A couple of nice silvers, congratulations!

OP
OP
Monstarules

Monstarules

Mar 1, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What’s the best way to quickly and discreetly check for blockage

No way to be discrete, sadly. But the best way is to quickly hook a finger inside the reject tray behind the plate.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread