Confessions of a metal detectorist hunting in the metro atlanta area

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Metal detecting in metro Atlanta where progress has never stopped or even slowed down is a challenge. Yes, the economy in Atlanta is always great and that attracts hundreds of thousands of new residents every year and fuels the continuous building boom. This results in the fact that virtually any decent old metal detecting home site has been paved or build on or posted “No Trespassing”.

When I am metal detecting in Atlanta I am enjoying the 100 degree heat in the summer and the cold in the winter. But at least in the winter the yellow jackets and snakes are deep underground. In the Spring or Summer the weeds grow like jungle plants. I am not kidding. The fall is the best time for metal detecting and yellow jackets. I am convinced that the electronics of the metal detector attracts yellow jackets. These nasty insects are nothing to fool with.

Finding good places to hunt in metro Atlanta is challenging to say the least. Using historic aerials I find lots of old home sites. But they are usually located under concrete buildings or parking lots or highways. But when you do find them where you could possibly dig an old home site, it is usually posted or a freaking jungle of brush especially Chinese Privet and our famous Georgia Kudzu vine.

So you may say Atlanta is an old city, right? Not really by standards of the NE United States Cities. Remember Sherman had his way with matches in Atlanta. So basically after 1864 Atlanta was rebuilt and slowly started over. It’s hell to lose a war I your own state.

Georgia was until the 70’s a rural economy not a manufacturing economy with good paying jobs like in the Northeast US where people actually used coins. Keep in mind a lot of the agricultural economy in Georgia in the past was barter. Few coins got dropped compared to older cities in other parts of the US.

Yes we do have some old parks but they are located in central or south Atlanta and those areas are near the projects so a single guy with an expensive metal detector is a big target for the druggies. The parks in north Atlanta are so very new, like built in the 80’s so no silver coins hidden beneath the surface where only poptops and pennies are to be had. You can forget Indian heads or Wheats that guys from up north take for granted.

Colonial or pre-colonial coins? Forget it. Not a chance. The Spanish explorer Desota traveled up along the Chattahoochee River in the 1500’s but did not trade, he just took want he needed and slaughtered the Indians to get what he wanted. Back in the 80’s three guys found a Spanish sword when looking for arrowheads near Rome, Georgia. There still is an ancient Indian village site in west Atlanta, but I have heard it is off limits to metal detecting and metal detectors would probably be useless there since I don’t recall American Indians minting or using coins.

Gold? I used to be able to find small gold nuggets over in Villa Rica, GA which is the on the West side of metro Atlanta. Now it is all subdivisions.

So what is left? Well if you are happy with one or two rings a year hunting volley ball courts or tot lots then metro Atlanta is for you. Of course when your are parking in some of the parks, you can keep your eyes open for dropped clad and sunglasses. Found a brand new pair of Ray Bans worth about $145 several months ago. Love them, fancy myself as Roy Orbison or Steve Miller.

Side walks? Forget it in the older areas of metro Atlanta that may even have sidewalks the homes are expensive and the sidewalk grass areas are manicured and the home owners swoop down on you in an instant when they see you swinging. Hell, they don’t even like strangers walking on their sidewalks.

Construction sites? They develop things so fast in Atlanta that before you know it a good potential hunt site is under construction and they have bulldozed all the top soil in a huge mound over 50 feet tall. Try metal detecting that. You will only do it once.

Civil War Relics? You must be willing to travel 2-3 hours in Northeast GA to find sites near famous civil war battle sites. But then without local knowledge and good local contacts you will be like Burt Reynolds and John Voight caught up in Deliverance country in NW Georgia.

School yards? There simply are no schools build in north metro Atlanta earlier than 1980’s. They always tear down the older schools, bulldoze the soil and put up a modern multi-story mega school for 4,000 students.

You fortunate guys hunting up north and near ocean beaches and desert southwest should consider yourselves fortunate and never complain. When I see finds from guys detecting school yards in the northeast US from the 1900’s and even older parks, I am just plain jealous. I wonder why they even sell metal detectors to anyone living in metro Atlanta.

Conclusion: If you are thinking of metal detecting in and around metro Atlanta, you must consider traveling 1-3 hours to get away from metro Atlanta. Of course if you are happy recovering pull tabs, bottle caps and zinc pennies and other clad the welcome to hunting in metro Atlanta.

Bates

Jul 27, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Invitation

if you I have an old metal detector all it does is tell me if metals there or not and since most the time it's a nail I usually just dig around just one area where I find a bunch of stuff but I have 20 acres information to hunt the Hundred Acres behind me so if you're willing to drive about an hour and 15 minutes you're more than welcome to come as long as is I can go with you and we'll work out a compromise whatever we find but my property was part of Lifsey Springs Resort Hotel built back in the late 1800s

Bates

Jul 27, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
please ignore my typos I broke my right arm and I'm pecking with my left hand

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the heights area of atlanta did indeed have CW fighting and lots of it ...just do your research and put in the leg work to find undeveloped ground

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Believe it or not I feel your pain! In the South, it is getting much harder to find decent locations to metal detect with the passing every day. With metro expansion of the bigger cities, the smaller cities trying to compete with the nearby larger ones and out of staters coming in and buying up land and then posting the land, it is almost impossible to find decent locations nearby. I would suggest metal detecting the lower flow rivers and the streams, creeks and drainages mainly on the Northwest, North and Northeast sides of Atlanta during the Fall and Winter as a lot of Gold washed into these locations from some of the major Gold producing locations further North. However, there is Gold also in the ground in and around the Northern portions of Atlanta as well.

OP
OP
pulltabfelix

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
that is good advice. I forgot that there are so me good sized creeks that that flow through metro atlanta that were magnets for people in the past without the benefits of modern air conditioning.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Felix, try Chastain Memorial park--------------------once called North Fulton Park. There is a two entrance cave there that should contain Silver. Old swimming pool also-------I havent been by there in 20 years so maybe a lot has changed.
The property where I was born had a CW trench across the back of our three lots. Part of the "Battle of Peachtree Creek"
That is in the area where Southern and Seaboard Railroads cross at P'tree creek. Go after the snakes go to sleep.
Marvin

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would consider hitting some of the smaller metro parks at sunrise on the weekends. Less chance of getting harassed by homeless. Also considered the neighborhoods behind GWCC, again looks like a tuff area, but lots of abandoned lots, hit at sunrise. Good luck.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can relate to your frustration , living in Santa fe , NM. This town was founded about 1610 ! Earlier than the Plymouth colony - but good luck finding anything where you can swing that isn't too historically / ethniclly sensitive (off limits) , paved over , private property / no tresspassing , property is on the historic registry , Indian reservation , State Park , National Park , you get the idea . My solution ...drive to nearby BLM or Forest Service lands , that also are near a waterway -(creek , river , lake) hunting these original forest floors for accidental drops, is my solution to the aforementioned difficulties. Finds tend to be fewer - but I'm never hassled by anyone , and there is a realistic shot at older keepers , and silver coins too.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man you nailed it.

Metal detecting in metro Atlanta where progress has never stopped or even slowed down is a challenge. Yes, the economy in Atlanta is always great and that attracts hundreds of thousands of new residents every year and fuels the continuous building boom. This results in the fact that virtually any decent old metal detecting home site has been paved or build on or posted “No Trespassing”.

When I am metal detecting in Atlanta I am enjoying the 100 degree heat in the summer and the cold in the winter. But at least in the winter the yellow jackets and snakes are deep underground. In the Spring or Summer the weeds grow like jungle plants. I am not kidding. The fall is the best time for metal detecting and yellow jackets. I am convinced that the electronics of the metal detector attracts yellow jackets. These nasty insects are nothing to fool with.

Finding good places to hunt in metro Atlanta is challenging to say the least. Using historic aerials I find lots of old home sites. But they are usually located under concrete buildings or parking lots or highways. But when you do find them where you could possibly dig an old home site, it is usually posted or a freaking jungle of brush especially Chinese Privet and our famous Georgia Kudzu vine.

So you may say Atlanta is an old city, right? Not really by standards of the NE United States Cities. Remember Sherman had his way with matches in Atlanta. So basically after 1864 Atlanta was rebuilt and slowly started over. It’s hell to lose a war I your own state.

Georgia was until the 70’s a rural economy not a manufacturing economy with good paying jobs like in the Northeast US where people actually used coins. Keep in mind a lot of the agricultural economy in Georgia in the past was barter. Few coins got dropped compared to older cities in other parts of the US.

Yes we do have some old parks but they are located in central or south Atlanta and those areas are near the projects so a single guy with an expensive metal detector is a big target for the druggies. The parks in north Atlanta are so very new, like built in the 80’s so no silver coins hidden beneath the surface where only poptops and pennies are to be had. You can forget Indian heads or Wheats that guys from up north take for granted.

Colonial or pre-colonial coins? Forget it. Not a chance. The Spanish explorer Desota traveled up along the Chattahoochee River in the 1500’s but did not trade, he just took want he needed and slaughtered the Indians to get what he wanted. Back in the 80’s three guys found a Spanish sword when looking for arrowheads near Rome, Georgia. There still is an ancient Indian village site in west Atlanta, but I have heard it is off limits to metal detecting and metal detectors would probably be useless there since I don’t recall American Indians minting or using coins.

Gold? I used to be able to find small gold nuggets over in Villa Rica, GA which is the on the West side of metro Atlanta. Now it is all subdivisions.

So what is left? Well if you are happy with one or two rings a year hunting volley ball courts or tot lots then metro Atlanta is for you. Of course when your are parking in some of the parks, you can keep your eyes open for dropped clad and sunglasses. Found a brand new pair of Ray Bans worth about $145 several months ago. Love them, fancy myself as Roy Orbison or Steve Miller.

Side walks? Forget it in the older areas of metro Atlanta that may even have sidewalks the homes are expensive and the sidewalk grass areas are manicured and the home owners swoop down on you in an instant when they see you swinging. Hell, they don’t even like strangers walking on their sidewalks.

Construction sites? They develop things so fast in Atlanta that before you know it a good potential hunt site is under construction and they have bulldozed all the top soil in a huge mound over 50 feet tall. Try metal detecting that. You will only do it once.

Civil War Relics? You must be willing to travel 2-3 hours in Northeast GA to find sites near famous civil war battle sites. But then without local knowledge and good local contacts you will be like Burt Reynolds and John Voight caught up in Deliverance country in NW Georgia.

School yards? There simply are no schools build in north metro Atlanta earlier than 1980’s. They always tear down the older schools, bulldoze the soil and put up a modern multi-story mega school for 4,000 students.

You fortunate guys hunting up north and near ocean beaches and desert southwest should consider yourselves fortunate and never complain. When I see finds from guys detecting school yards in the northeast US from the 1900’s and even older parks, I am just plain jealous. I wonder why they even sell metal detectors to anyone living in metro Atlanta.

Conclusion: If you are thinking of metal detecting in and around metro Atlanta, you must consider traveling 1-3 hours to get away from metro Atlanta. Of course if you are happy recovering pull tabs, bottle caps and zinc pennies and other clad the welcome to hunting in metro Atlanta.

I could not have explained our area better , tho I have tried many times.

I been wanting to hunt in NW Ga , for a long time , I just don't know anyone actually I do , but they are in-laws & have a 5 min attention span & really no help to me , I've even offered to pay , pick-up trash etc. I met a Cool guy in Dalton he knows a few sites but they are few & I understand his reluctance to invite me .

IH Cents are like Gold around here (not really) but I find only a few each year , never dug a Large Cent. Flat buttons are super rare. Shot Gun Brass & 22 shells & Bullets rule the roost .

Never the less I have done OK over the years ( It's Hard Work ) ; I hunted hard from 1997-2000 & Civil War stuff was 20+ times easier to find even then.

You stated the area perfectly , some places off limits is just Absurd.

Sites between the Wal-Mart & the Waffle House are some of the best places to look , 'If there is no homeless camp.'.

I could go on but I won't but I do thank God for the items he has blessed me with in the past , this year has been a good one .

One has to be a Guerrilla hunter in this Area.
GL

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Felix, try Chastain Memorial park--------------------once called North Fulton Park. There is a two entrance cave there that should contain Silver. Old swimming pool also-------I havent been by there in 20 years so maybe a lot has changed.
The property where I was born had a CW trench across the back of our three lots. Part of the "Battle of Peachtree Creek"
That is in the area where Southern and Seaboard Railroads cross at P'tree creek. Go after the snakes go to sleep.
Marvin

Been there , & treasure the CW relics I found over the years , as the area has been developed since the 1940's or before .

Even common relics Fired Minnie's , I wont take $500 for one from that area.

As for Chastain or Piedmont Parks , I have not tried those as the are very popular , Grant park is Posted 'Kinda' like most Atlanta city parks, I've hit that a few times in Fall or Winter on Sunday's.

A few parks seem to have been Dumps before they were parks 'Memorial' ( i think they scraped I-285 & the Connector then dumped the trash there & in other City parks.).

JUST DO IT ! LOL

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would consider hitting some of the smaller metro parks at sunrise on the weekends. Less chance of getting harassed by homeless. Also considered the neighborhoods behind GWCC, again looks like a tuff area, but lots of abandoned lots, hit at sunrise. Good luck.

I've cursed the Area behind the GWCC a time or 2 While The 'Benz' Stadium was being built , This was early Sunday morning , I had the 'dope boy's ' flagging me down & the Police Follow me ' , they would have thought I was crazy for wanting to detect that area alone , tho it's MUCH safer than it was in the 1970's & 1980's.
GD All got to go .
Davers

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Have you done any search on sites in Alabama? Maybe an hour away. As in Mississippi, Alabama has a ton of history still to be found. Good luck.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm over towards Villa Rica area....Would love to know general area that you found small nuggets.....I know it's here. Or was told it was and was shown a small glass vial full when I lived in Ohio. The guy claimed somewhere in Paulding county. But looking at pics? of stuff found here, I've never seen nuggets that look the same.

I've detected very little here, I have this issue with snakes!!! I went with another member and detected a little in an old park. I can't share where, because it was his research and his location, I won't give that out. But...The history of what it was over made it a great location.

I do know of a CW, camp(?) area..and what use to be a town way back...I can't publicly say where, and I don't know exact location anyhow. I do know general area, and I believe it's all private property. I have no problem with wandering around asking permission. Someone told me about it and ask that I didn't broadcast it. They don't care if I used their info. It's a fairly big area. I just haven't pursued it yet since I don't want to hunt by myself.

The sub divisions you mentioned? There are a few over this way...where the roads were put in, and no house's built because the builders went bankrupt. They aren't gated off, and one that I just looked at goes for miles back through the woods. It's a dumping ground, for people in the turn arounds. When it cools down and the bugs and snakes are in hiding, I'm going to check a few out. I highly doubt anyone would care if someone detects, and I'm willing to take that chance.

Anyhow, I'm slowly starting to get back on my feet, if any of you want to go out exploring, or target an area for research? I'm in!!!! At the moment I can only get out once a week or so, and can't travel too far.

There are old plantations on this side, or places where they were...My (step)family owned one, but it's private property. No buildings left. I may be able to gain permission, I have to do a little research first. My step dad took me there a couple years ago, a lot has gone on since, and can't remember exact location. He passed since then and wish I would have wrote it down. It's not far, off of a main Highway, and nothing much around. I think it was off of 20.

But nothing like Ohio...I could find stuff on accident there!! Heck!! I was detecting a field in Ohio, my wife was messing around looking for rocks, throwing them at me, whatever she does....after an hour of hunting and only finding junk, she walked over and said"Is this what your looking for?" Holding a indian head!!! Uggggghhhhh...."no, absolutely not!! I was looking for a pulltab!!!"
She found an Indian with no detector!! Ohio was great for detecting!!

I've been here for 4 years and know no one outside of my neighbors. .....So, if any of you want to go, detect,pan,explore, or just BS...PM me!:occasion14: I also have a highbanker I've basically have never used. ...Hope that doesn't sound too desperate or creepy.....:laughing7: I'm bored out of my mind here!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you done any search on sites in Alabama? Maybe an hour away. As in Mississippi, Alabama has a ton of history still to be found. Good luck.

I own land in Winston county AL. We camp there often. If anyone wants to go over that way, pitch a tent, and go explore the area, PM me. I'm also in for that adventure. It is Primitive camping though. There is a stream and lake so it's not too bad, at least there is water!!!!:laughing7:

A lot of history over that way too!! I just never have anyone to go explore with. My wife can only go so far. Then she's in pain I feel bad because she loves exploring, but can only handle so much.

Even to hunt arrowheads would be fun over that way. But...no gold...there are arrowheads though! And a ton of history in surrounding areas.

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I can relate to your frustration , living in Santa fe , NM. This town was founded about 1610 ! Earlier than the Plymouth colony - but good luck finding anything where you can swing that isn't too historically / ethniclly sensitive (off limits) , paved over , private property / no tresspassing , property is on the historic registry , Indian reservation , State Park , National Park , you get the idea . My solution ...drive to nearby BLM or Forest Service lands , that also are near a waterway -(creek , river , lake) hunting these original forest floors for accidental drops, is my solution to the aforementioned difficulties. Finds tend to be fewer - but I'm never hassled by anyone , and there is a realistic shot at older keepers , and silver coins too.

Metal detecting is prohibited on National Forest lands here in the East with the exception of parking areas and maybe a swimming hole and beach. This is because there is so much history relic and artifact-wise in the East and also due to a large amount of the National Forest lands here are not owned by the Federal Government but are actually undeveloped private timberlands that the National Forest Service manages under the Weeks Act of 1911.

National Forests in the Eastern United States: An Incomplete Legacy ? Andy Kerr | Oregon Conservationist, Writer, Analyst, Operative, Agitator, Strategist, Tactician, Schmoozer, Raconteur

Last edited:

Joshbiz

May 2, 2014
Sugar Hill, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I was reading all of these post and that's why I don't hunt as much as I use to. I live NE of Atlanta but I use to drive everywhere looking for something old and it rarely happens. I just get really disappointed and stop MD'ing for a few months then go back out till I get disappointed again..
I have gone to a lot of the Civil war trenches to find a 3ringer and I have not found one yet. I hope one day I will be able to.
I have been to Atlanta and have metal detected a few little parks and have found a lot of change but no old silver.
One day if I don't give up I will find something from the civil war. maybe even some old silver from then..
Thank you for making my reality into words.. lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread