Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter land ranger pro, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
20180907_203901.jpg

Hi. I have found the following coins at various parks around my neighborhood:
1941 ×2, 1953, 1952 ×2, 1957 ×2, 1960, 1961 ×2, 1963, 1964 ×5, 1965 ×5, 1966 ×2, 1967 ×4, 1968 ×5. Excluding these I found a silver 1958 dime and a silver 1919 dime at a park that had quite a few 1950's and higher coins. Other than that I found a 1968 silver quarter on my yard. That's 22 coins and only three silver! Why isn't there more? Is it because I'm not digging iron? Also, my detector can only detect small objects up to 5 inches deep, I barely got out the 1919 dime because the beep was so quiet. I don't have a pinpointer yet (soon will) so I didn't want to have to dig out lots of iron because it takes a while even to get good targets out.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You had a very good hunt, congratulations! Keep at it! :icon_thumleft:

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, 3 silvers are a very good amount for the time you've been detecting, especially with the Bounty Hunter! NOT beating on your equipment, but an upgrade would get you almost twice your current depth. Hang in there, keep digging and keep posting! Ddf.

OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
this wasn't all found in one hunt.

OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Actually, 3 silvers are a very good amount for the time you've been detecting, especially with the Bounty Hunter! NOT beating on your equipment, but an upgrade would get you almost twice your current depth. Hang in there, keep digging and keep posting! Ddf.

I plan to get a new one next year. Will a detector worth about $300 be good?

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found around 50 silver coins in five years of metal detecting. During that time, I've found at least 5,000 clad coins. That's a ratio of 100 to 1, so you're doing a great job finding silver coins.

I used a Garrett Ace 250 for three years and found a lot of 1700's coins and relics with it. It's a great machine for the price.

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think you can get a really good detector for $300 if you want to buy a new one. But if you buy second hand for $300 then it is possible. There are a lott of different brands that offer good mid level detectors for around $300.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I plan to get a new one next year. Will a detector worth about $300 be good?

You need to research some different machines that are currently on the market. The price of the machine has nothing to do with how well a machine will perform. A brand new AT PRO is currently being advertised fo $552. at KellyCo. A slightly used AT PRO can be found for around $300. Same machine, same performance. Now if you can find a slightly used Equinox 600 for $300. ,, that would be an excellent score. IMHO

Last edited:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Still it's some nice hunts.Congrats :icon_thumright:

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It took me years and hundreds of coins to find a silver coin.

kenstein

Sep 28, 2012
N.E. Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 , Pro pointer, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I have yet to find a silver coin. One silver ring and part of a silver spoon. You're doing great.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lived in Maryland near D.C. when I was younger, across from a 1799 Plantation mansion, and just about everywhere you swung the coil in the neighborhood you'd find silver or 1800s coinage. Being 5 to 8 years old then I can guarantee it has nothing to do with skill as some East Coasters might like to claim, but rather the density of the population and prosperity of the region for several centuries. So easy a kindergartner can do it, at least back east (as I did with great success). It required rather more effort to find silver or old goodies in Illinois and even more effort than that now in Wyoming. I'd assume that most of the spots you're searching are rather younger and primarily contain 20th century material, so you're actually doing just fine with regards to digging silver, and with the benefit of several extra years of silver coinage I expect you will continue doing well even in younger spots.

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There was a LOT of silver in those parks at one time, but that was a half century and a thousand+ hunts ago. Still some there, but not easy to find. Upgrading to a mid price machine: Equinox 600, Omega 8500, AT Pro, will help. Also some good used machines for a decent price out there that will hit silver hard: Explorer, Fisher CZ.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fifty years of metal detectors took care of most of it. Still some to be found but not likely at the parks that have been hunted for many many years. Permissions to hunt homes might turn up silver and places that haven’t attracted many hunters.

OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Guess what I found today?! A 1968 silver dime!!!

Wrecka

Jun 22, 2017
Gold Coast Queensland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found no silver for the past 3 months and worse still i have found Nil coins or relics from my last 3 searches................

OP
OP
Mvgirl

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
? They stopped making silver dimes in 1964.

I live in Winnipeg Mb. They made silver coins until 1968. Some 1968 coins aren't silver and some are.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread