Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Like Tree483Likes

Thread: Women, Girls and Metal Detecting - Do they Mix?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Kace

Aug 2017
    MOx2--KS
    Whites DFX SPECTRUM E SERIES
    2180 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    [QUOTE=Ammoman;5931166]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustynailsandscrews View Post
    My experience is that fewer women have an interest in detecting then males. Few males have interest in sewing and knitting. If I sewed or knitted I would expect to be a minority at the fabric and yarn shop. Males and females are different even if the politically correct try to tell you otherwise.[/QUOT
    Your experience is right on the money. My wife and i own a fabric store and 99% of our customers are women. Of that 1 percent who are men, roughly half either want to be a woman or act like a woman. Just my observations after being in that environment for over 10 years. Believe it or not, men and women have different interests. I guess its a male female thing.
    That's funny you mention sewing and fabrics... I know this is a rare situation, but I have a really good guy friend who I've been close to since 1st grade. His mother and father divorced and he of course lived with his Mother.

They didn't have a lot of discretionary income so she sewed her own clothes and made dresses for people on top of working full time to be able to give him some fun stuff. Anyway she had him help her with the sewing... he's really creative and mechanical too and a total guy. He's also very talented at sewing and took to it right off.

He saved his paper route money and bought a used, heavy duty sewing machine that would sew canvas and started making boat covers for people. He turned that into a full time business, now employs quite a number of people.. men and women and he makes custom boat, RV and car covers along with Bimini tops, convertible tops and boots. He does very well and it all started with making dresses.

Kace

us
    Aug 2018
    SW Missouri
    2446 times
    [QUOTE=Kace;5931266]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ammoman View Post

That's funny you mention sewing and fabrics... I know this is a rare situation, but I have a really good guy friend who I've been close to since 1st grade. His mother and father divorced and he of course lived with his Mother.

They didn't have a lot of discretionary income so she sewed her own clothes and made dresses for people on top of working full time to be able to give him some fun stuff. Anyway she had him help her with the sewing... he's really creative and mechanical too and a total guy. He's also very talented at sewing and took to it right off.

He saved his paper route money and bought a used, heavy duty sewing machine that would sew canvas and started making boat covers for people. He turned that into a full time business, now employs quite a number of people.. men and women and he makes custom boat, RV and car covers along with Bimini tops, convertible tops and boots. He does very well and it all started with making dresses.

Kace
    Well Kace, it appears we are discussing nature versus nurture. Do you think there may be some confusion here among we posters? I think a child will mimic what the child sees.
    A male child could easily be raised to behave as a stereotypical girl-as defined say by a 1950's middle class American family- and wear cute dresses, play with Barbies, and pretend to be a mommy to a baby doll. Not to say your fellow was being raised as a girl.
    I wonder if he was teased. Although I have to say once children acquire empathy it is really surprising how accepting they often are of friends who are kind of off the beaten path. Not always it is true.
    Remember when some girls were called tomboys?
    Because they behaved in ways we associated with boys.
    Now that I think of it, Hollywood is still responsible for much of the perpetuation of stereotypes in regard to men and women.
    The discussion is getting a bit off course I suppose. I think it would be a interesting topic for a thread but how to frame it? This has taken off with a life of its own as these things do
    We are shaped by our families, our community around us and its culture,our friends and classmates who are generally part of the same community. Of course now we have the internet which plays a role in a child's shaping.
    Just curious-were you ever called a tomboy?
    I think it would be fascinating to take a twenty year old girl (or boy) who was born and bred in Manhattan, and exchange her with a counterpart from a genuine small town in rural Arkansas. Sort of a foreign exchange student deal. Film the whole mess.
    Last edited by Hillbilly Prince; Sep 14, 2018 at 10:19 PM.
    Kace and RustyGold like this.
    You may forget but let me tell you this: someone in some future time will think of us-Sappho

Mar 2016
    1380 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeBirdTim View Post
    I believe the coin collecting angle is why there are so few women who detect. How many women do you know who collect coins or show any interest in them? I think most guys metal detect because they have an interest in coins.

The U.S. Mint states that their customer base is 87% male and 13% female. Metal detecting is probably close to the same percentage when it comes to men and women. Not a coincidence, in my opinion.

https://www.linns.com/news/us-stamps...ing-hobby.html
    If you think the majority of metal detectorists are metal detecting to collect coins, you are hugely mistaken. It’s much much easier to buy coins, and they are in much better condition.

Been detecting since childhood and never been a coin collector. I’m a treasure hunter.
    Last edited by IMAUDIGGER; Sep 14, 2018 at 10:45 PM.
    RustyGold likes this.
    All treasures found with permission on private property or on active mining claims.

Mar 2016
    1380 times
    The topic of this thread reads like it came from a 50 year old “Dear Abby” letter.
    I have a daughter (divorced family) and this topic would never come up. Some of the responses have me really wondering...
    Again coming from someone that spent summers detecting with grandma and grandpa over 3 decades ago.
    Last edited by IMAUDIGGER; Sep 14, 2018 at 11:09 PM.
    Hillbilly Prince likes this.
    All treasures found with permission on private property or on active mining claims.

us
    Sep 2013
    Scituate, RI
    Garrett AT Pro
    5086 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    If you think the majority of metal detectorists are metal detecting to collect coins, you are hugely mistaken.
    That's your opinion. All the metal detecting guys I know are looking for 1700's coins and relics. And none of us are delusional about finding buried treasure and getting rich. It's just a hobby and a way to connect with this country's past.

If you're into metal detecting because you're a "treasure hunter" and think you're going to hit it big one day, you are a dreamer. Metal detecting is NOT a way to get rich for 99% of those who detect.

us
    Sep 2013
    Scituate, RI
    Garrett AT Pro
    5086 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Have you ever been to a Midnight Madness Sale at Macy's? Black Friday at Walmart?

It's dangerous...Women pushing, pulling, running over each other trying to hunt down the best deals..lol!

Kace

Yup, I went to a Black Friday sale at midnight one time looking for an Xbox for my nephew. They only had 10 per store and let me tell you, it got ugly fast! The guys were pretty mellow, but the moms were downright hostile! Haven't been to one since that night!
    Hillbilly Prince and Kace like this.

us
    Kace

Aug 2017
    MOx2--KS
    2180 times
    [QUOTE=Hillbilly Prince;5931349]
    Quote Originally Posted by Kace View Post

Well Kace, it appears we are discussing nature versus nurture. Do you think there may be some confusion here among we posters? I think a child will mimic what the child sees.
    A male child could easily be raised to behave as a stereotypical girl-as defined say by a 1950's middle class American family- and wear cute dresses, play with Barbies, and pretend to be a mommy to a baby doll. Not to say your fellow was being raised as a girl.
    I wonder if he was teased. Although I have to say once children acquire empathy it is really surprising how accepting they often are of friends who are kind of off the beaten path. Not always it is true.
    Remember when some girls were called tomboys?
    Because they behaved in ways we associated with boys.
    Now that I think of it, Hollywood is still responsible for much of the perpetuation of stereotypes in regard to men and women.
    The discussion is getting a bit off course I suppose. I think it would be a interesting topic for a thread but how to frame it? This has taken off with a life of its own as these things do
    We are shaped by our families, our community around us and its culture,our friends and classmates who are generally part of the same community. Of course now we have the internet which plays a role in a child's shaping.
    Just curious-were you ever called a tomboy?
    I think it would be fascinating to take a twenty year old girl (or boy) who was born and bred in Manhattan, and exchange her with a counterpart from a genuine small town in rural Arkansas. Sort of a foreign exchange student deal. Film the whole mess.
    HBP...I had to laugh about your suggestion of transplanting people of vastly different cultures. That would be interesting! Like the Simple Life was only without the celebrity aspect. lol!

My guy friend that I mentioned is what you would consider a typical country boy man's man. He's amateur raced MX his whole life, builds and races cars for dirt track, hunts, fishes, plays the fiddle, banjo, steel and acoustic guitar in a country music band and is a great CM singer. He can fix anything and rebuild any motor you put in front of him. Just a normal manly man and he was never, ever picked on. He's very talented in many things. He can afford to do all he does because a long time ago his mother asked him to help her make some women's dresses. He wasn't gonna keep doing that so he went into making boat covers first. Not that there's not some amazing male designers, like Ralph Lauren who's a manly man.

No, I was never called a tomboy...I hate saying this... I don't know how else to word it, but Ive never looked the way that most folks think a tomboy would. I'm a woman, and if I don't make my personal life known, say in business, no one would ever know some of the things I like or do that is typically considered for men. It depends on the type of man I come in contact with through business what I share. Of course my circle of friends know as well as family.

I just happened to be raised equally by a mother, father and grandparents who all took their interests and skills and exposed and instilled them in me. I like vintage cars and motorcycles, my parents Both collected vintage cars and Both belonged to vintage car clubs. My father liked the dirt bikes and scramblers...Mom thought they were dangerous but They Both got me my first mini bike when I was 7... I still have vintage bikes and cars. Many women collect and show vintage cars.

My folks entertained a lot due to business and also having a large extended family they wanted around and She taught me how to do that from planning, decorating, cooking, hosting, and knowing what the guests liked. She's a wonderful hostess. They also had what you would consider a typical 1950's husband and wife relationship and each had their stereotypical roles. My mother has never mowed a yard, I'm sure she could of, but my father would of considered that a bad reflection on him.

I was also raised both Catholic And Protestant. When I was old enough for confirmation I chose which faith I would be confirmed in at their encouraging. Some of my Protestant family are Mason's... when I was younger I was in Rainbow Girls as well as Brownies and Girl Scouts, my Mother was a leader. I got to choose whether to go on to OES.

I know this must all sound strange to you and others, but I just wasn't raised on a one way street and I'm thankful for that. It's made me much more understanding of men and women and I am able to be in and accepted in both worlds. Someone said earlier about feminism that most urban women hate men...I don't know any woman that hates men...I know women who hate A man...I also know men who hate A woman.

Now today I got a New Coach Purse...To match my Tony Lama's...I have many diverse interests and it's because of my family...No one ever pushed me into anything...except business, but in all fairness I probably could of said no without too much static.

I don't have to ask anyone for money to buy what I want or need so it does take a very secure man to be in my life. I chose to have an equal relationship, I don't boss nor will I be bossed. It's Equal. We've actually fished several tournaments Against each other and it's all good. He's Not going to Let me win and I'm Not going to Let him win no matter what we do, even in golf, casting competitions, PlayStation or trap or whatever. We take vacations together, sometimes alone, sometimes with other couples and also he will go on guys trips and I'll go on girls trips because there's some places one or the other of us doesn't care about going to.

I hate saying this too, but since we are all being honest here...until this thread I never brought up that I am a woman because I didn't want to be treated differently on a predominately male forum. I didn't hide it, but I never mentioned it.

Isn't that sad?? I hope the kids following us will never feel that way, male or female.

I hope I answered some of your questions.

What part of SWMO are you close to?

Kace

Charter Member
    us
    Make America Great Again!

May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000; Equinox 600 -- Tesoro Mojave -- Makro Multi Kruzer -- Notka Pinpointer -- Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger
    19031 times
    Metal Detecting
    One of my favorite detecting partners weighs about 100-lbs, is 5'2", and is the mother of three children, including a set of twin girls. She is a very successful executive, and happily married. She swings a CTX 3030.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00601-20111215-1328.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	319.6 KB 
ID:	1632233   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20130513-00488.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	665.6 KB 
ID:	1632234   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20130614-00594.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	227.9 KB 
ID:	1632235   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20130818-00859.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	228.6 KB 
ID:	1632236   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo1.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	106.4 KB 
ID:	1632237  

us
    Kace

Aug 2017
    MOx2--KS
    2180 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Soloman View Post
    One of my favorite detecting partners weighs about 100-lbs, is 5'2", and is the mother of three children, including a set of twin girls. She is a very successful executive, and happily married. She swings a CTX 3030.
    That's awesome Terry. It's all about having fun no matter what you're doing!

Kace

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    13377 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    My first mentor was a woman TH'er
    I started out at age 12 in 1975 and belonged to like 3 clubs back then - 95% of the adult males
    wanted nothing to do with me and many times when I tried to get in on a conversation - I was
    told to "beat it...grown ups are talking" A lot of men in the clubs gave her no respect either -
    thing is she was a better hunter than most of them put together - She was mentioned in a few of
    Garretts books as being one of the best female detectorists out there. She was one of the first TH'ers
    to go down and hunt the shallows of a lot of the islands as well as Mex. in the early 80s - I remember
    her bringing in a cigar box full of gold from one trip. I would bring to club meetings my finds and
    she would be one of the only ones to give me the time of day. By age 16 - I could hold my own with the
    "big boys" and was hunting cellarholes , farm fields and other spots with the best of them, but still
    there was ahandful of guys that would still consider me a kid and still show me no respect in the hobby.
    One meeting I tried getting in with a group of guys talking about cellarholes - at this time my family
    had moved to a town loaded with cellar holes and I did a lot of research and made a lot of nice finds
    but these guys were never interested in seeing them or hearing about them. It was still
    "go away boy...you bother me" - Well they called this womans husband over to ask him some cellar holes
    related questions - while I walked away and started to talk to her again. They sais to him "hey we got some
    questions about cellar holes" He said, "well the guy you should be asking - is the guy you just shooed away"
    He is one of this clubs best cellar hole hunters. He looked at his wife and she gave a smile and then he winked at me.
    One of my best moments in life. Always have held her in the highest regard and God bless his soul ( he is no longer
    with us) her husband was a very good man.
    Back then we had about a dozen women hunters in the early 80s in that club. I cant say now a days how many there are.
    I know there are a few very avid girls on youtube that do pretty good for them selves
    husband over
    dokc, Kace, Terry Soloman and 1 others like this.
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

Mar 2016
    1380 times
    That's your opinion. All the metal detecting guys I know are looking for 1700's coins and relics. And none of us are delusional about finding buried treasure and getting rich. It's just a hobby and a way to connect with this country's past.

If you're into metal detecting because you're a "treasure hunter" and think you're going to hit it big one day, you are a dreamer. Metal detecting is NOT a way to get rich for 99% of those who detect.
    Once you parse out the negativity from your response, it appears you actually agree with me. More about the connection to history and the adventure than about “collecting coins”.
    ——
    I DO spend some time daydreaming about hitting the big one some day.
    Am I delusional or am I seeing a small handful of gold in my avatar picture? That would be buried treasure if I ever saw some.

Lots of different aspects to metal detecting.

us
    Sep 2013
    Scituate, RI
    Garrett AT Pro
    5086 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Once you parse out the negativity from your response, it appears you actually agree with me. More about the connection to history and the adventure than about “collecting coins”.

You never mentioned anything about history, you just stated that you were a treasure hunter. Nothing wrong with being a dreamer, but you have to consider it a hobby first and a source of income second. If you don't, you'll never be happy detecting.

Mar 2016
    1380 times
    You never mentioned anything about history, you just stated that you were a treasure hunter. Nothing wrong with being a dreamer, but you have to consider it a hobby first and a source of income second. If you don't, you'll never be happy detecting.
    That’s correct. I simply said that most people were not into metal detecting to collect coins. This was as it relates to the US Mint customer statistics (male vs female).

Luckily there is no internal struggle to find happiness when I’m detecting.

The whole male / female concept is antiquated these days anyway. Just ask any college student.
    Last edited by IMAUDIGGER; Sep 15, 2018 at 10:03 AM.

us
    Oct 2011
    177 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by CASPER-2 View Post
    My first mentor was a woman TH'er
    I started out at age 12 in 1975 and belonged to like 3 clubs back then - 95% of the adult males
    wanted nothing to do with me and many times when I tried to get in on a conversation - I was
    told to "beat it...grown ups are talking" A lot of men in the clubs gave her no respect either -
    thing is she was a better hunter than most of them put together - She was mentioned in a few of
    Garretts books as being one of the best female detectorists out there. She was one of the first TH'ers
    to go down and hunt the shallows of a lot of the islands as well as Mex. in the early 80s - I remember
    her bringing in a cigar box full of gold from one trip. I would bring to club meetings my finds and
    she would be one of the only ones to give me the time of day. By age 16 - I could hold my own with the
    "big boys" and was hunting cellarholes , farm fields and other spots with the best of them, but still
    there was ahandful of guys that would still consider me a kid and still show me no respect in the hobby.
    One meeting I tried getting in with a group of guys talking about cellarholes - at this time my family
    had moved to a town loaded with cellar holes and I did a lot of research and made a lot of nice finds
    but these guys were never interested in seeing them or hearing about them. It was still
    "go away boy...you bother me" - Well they called this womans husband over to ask him some cellar holes
    related questions - while I walked away and started to talk to her again. They sais to him "hey we got some
    questions about cellar holes" He said, "well the guy you should be asking - is the guy you just shooed away"
    He is one of this clubs best cellar hole hunters. He looked at his wife and she gave a smile and then he winked at me.
    One of my best moments in life. Always have held her in the highest regard and God bless his soul ( he is no longer
    with us) her husband was a very good man.
    Back then we had about a dozen women hunters in the early 80s in that club. I cant say now a days how many there are.
    I know there are a few very avid girls on youtube that do pretty good for them selves
    husband over
    That's just too funny!
    I found out after I got into detecting that my aunt used to detect back in the 70's and found all kinds of goodies! Unfortunately I found out after she had passed so I never got to share that with her.
    Again I think it's just perception. People get to thinking a certain way and nothing will change their minds, not even facts staring them right in the face!

us
    Oct 2011
    177 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Again --- people are raised different. There aren't good ways or bad ways unless it hurts someone or decreases their chance of being a fully functioning adult. Many people are content to stay just as they are and never expand their thinking are try to empathize with others and will just continue to bash others for the way they believe or live their lives. If you have preconceived notions about people and aren't willing to "walk in thier shoes" you aren't just doing them a disservice you are doing yourself a disservice.
    As an example - my grandson who is 13 has a black friend at school who told a few of his close friends that he is gay. My grandson has had to stand up to others for his friend but it wasn't for the being gay part it was because he is black! This is a generational old school thing that was passed down from their families. This child is from a well to do family, hasn't been in trouble for anything and makes good grades. He was treated badly because of preconceived notions the same notions that many people have towards women who speak out or try to be included in the traditional "mens" things. I am very glad to see that the majority of the responses here have been so positive and of the opinion that there is no difference in what people can or can't do. I am a bit disappointed to see that there hasn't been more responses seeing how many "views" this thread has received that didn't state that putting down women even if it's just a joke is not accetable nor to be tolerated. Bad behavior has to be met full on just like when a child misbehaves.
    I will get down off my high horse now. It just really gets me riled up when I see/hear people being abused verbally in a joking manner as it's really how that person thinks but they believe that if they put it in the form of a joke they can get away with it!

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links