Women, Girls and Metal Detecting - Do they Mix?

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just asked the Moderators to Lock the thread. Bottom line, let's all try to be open and reach out to women, and try to get them interested in our hobby. :skullflag:

Maybe they could just clean it? I think it's a good thread and topic...There are a lot of ladies interested we just don't hear about it as much. And having one that reads some of this stuff?(not possession "having one" meaning "lady". Just thought I'd better clear that up for some of you in the thread:laughing7:" I can see why we don't hear about it....:laughing7:

Added...I just thought of something else...My Grandmother use to love going detecting with my Grandfather, and at 87(somewhere in there) I'd bet she'd still go today if someone invited her she won't go by herself, that and she gave us the detectors, she also still splits her own firewood at times just because she enjoys it:icon_scratch:. So, I don't even think it's an age thing. It has nothing to do with what some of you mention, I know guys that have no interest. It's just that people are into different things. The more people introduced to the hobby the more that will detect it's not really heard of much. I can dig the detector out and I'll bet half my neighborhood would be curious and have never done it. My wife said that her one friend in the neighborhood wants to try it, and she thinks it would be fun. And for the record, these are makeup wearing, Dress wearing, ladies when then they want. Not that it matters ,but might change the perception a little. They will both help in the yard, help when working on vehicles, if asked:laughing7:, and many other things that "some" think isn't their "roll".

One thing that I wonder might chase them away? Us guys are really ....rude at times. As far as honing in on them like vultures!:laughing7: Heck, just going to the gas station today? My wife jumped out of the truck to pay. I'm standing right there, and a guy (Back woods too) couldn't take his eyes away and made it very obvious...My wife asks, "are you ok" and he says...."I just can't stop looking at you.....", really creepy and serial killer kind of looking.:laughing7: Of course I don't get involved, she can handle her own for the most part,has been around the block a little, and has enough training to kick his kidneys into his throat if needed. So, I just pay attention in case I need to. I can only imagine the crap they get detecting and out by themselves in a somewhat remote location. We laughed about it, but I can see how some people would get scared or upset.

Also, after reading this thread my wife said.."Let's dig out the detectors tomorrow?"...So, I'm in!! And that's what makes it fun!!

Ohhh!!! I also know how to knit and sew...Not my interest, but know how! :laughing7: Just thought I'd add that after reading a post.:laughing7: Even collected antique silver thimbles at one time and ended up giving to my Grandmother for her collection when I got bored with it.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thread has been cleaned. If your post was deleted it was deleted because of comment or comments or quote of a comment.

We have many female members and they are to be treated with the same respect as our male members. If someone wants to argue the male vs female roles join our politics forum and argue it there, not here.

TreasureNet rules

"All members are equal, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, education, or experience. Never take a superior tone with, or "talk down" to, anyone."

"Posts should be suitable for all ages, on topic, concise, andcourteous."

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HBP...I had to laugh about your suggestion of transplanting people of vastly different cultures. That would be interesting! Like the Simple Life was only without the celebrity aspect. lol!

My guy friend that I mentioned is what you would consider a typical country boy man's man. He's amateur raced MX his whole life, builds and races cars for dirt track, hunts, fishes, plays the fiddle, banjo, steel and acoustic guitar in a country music band and is a great CM singer. He can fix anything and rebuild any motor you put in front of him. Just a normal manly man and he was never, ever picked on. He's very talented in many things. He can afford to do all he does because a long time ago his mother asked him to help her make some women's dresses. He wasn't gonna keep doing that so he went into making boat covers first. Not that there's not some amazing male designers, like Ralph Lauren who's a manly man.

No, I was never called a tomboy...I hate saying this... I don't know how else to word it, but Ive never looked the way that most folks think a tomboy would. I'm a woman, and if I don't make my personal life known, say in business, no one would ever know some of the things I like or do that is typically considered for men. It depends on the type of man I come in contact with through business what I share. Of course my circle of friends know as well as family.

I just happened to be raised equally by a mother, father and grandparents who all took their interests and skills and exposed and instilled them in me. I like vintage cars and motorcycles, my parents Both collected vintage cars and Both belonged to vintage car clubs. My father liked the dirt bikes and scramblers...Mom thought they were dangerous but They Both got me my first mini bike when I was 7... I still have vintage bikes and cars. Many women collect and show vintage cars.

My folks entertained a lot due to business and also having a large extended family they wanted around and She taught me how to do that from planning, decorating, cooking, hosting, and knowing what the guests liked. She's a wonderful hostess. They also had what you would consider a typical 1950's husband and wife relationship and each had their stereotypical roles. My mother has never mowed a yard, I'm sure she could of, but my father would of considered that a bad reflection on him.

I was also raised both Catholic And Protestant. When I was old enough for confirmation I chose which faith I would be confirmed in at their encouraging. Some of my Protestant family are Mason's... when I was younger I was in Rainbow Girls as well as Brownies and Girl Scouts, my Mother was a leader. I got to choose whether to go on to OES.

I know this must all sound strange to you and others, but I just wasn't raised on a one way street and I'm thankful for that. It's made me much more understanding of men and women and I am able to be in and accepted in both worlds. Someone said earlier about feminism that most urban women hate men...I don't know any woman that hates men...I know women who hate A man...I also know men who hate A woman.

Now today I got a New Coach Purse...To match my Tony Lama's...I have many diverse interests and it's because of my family...No one ever pushed me into anything...except business, but in all fairness I probably could of said no without too much static.

I don't have to ask anyone for money to buy what I want or need so it does take a very secure man to be in my life. I chose to have an equal relationship, I don't boss nor will I be bossed. It's Equal. We've actually fished several tournaments Against each other and it's all good. He's Not going to Let me win and I'm Not going to Let him win no matter what we do, even in golf, casting competitions, PlayStation or trap or whatever. We take vacations together, sometimes alone, sometimes with other couples and also he will go on guys trips and I'll go on girls trips because there's some places one or the other of us doesn't care about going to.

I hate saying this too, but since we are all being honest here...until this thread I never brought up that I am a woman because I didn't want to be treated differently on a predominately male forum. I didn't hide it, but I never mentioned it.

Isn't that sad?? I hope the kids following us will never feel that way, male or female.

I hope I answered some of your questions.

What part of SWMO are you close to?

Kace

I really liked The Simple Life. It was funny :)
Glad you explained about your guy friend. Without knowing more I had no idea if he was teased or not. The same with you being called a tomboy. I wasn't assuming anything. Actually I cannot remember any girl I ever knew being called a tomboy.
I think you possibly had a somewhat unique upbringing compared to many children across all income levels and backgrounds. I am no expert but there is an impression out there of parents having certaim expectations of their offspring. Well, maybe it would be nice if more parents had some expectation of their kids lol
I read a fascinating piece about the well-to-do families of an area associated with wealth and the upper classes. I don't like to use phrases like upper class but I will for now.
Anyway, the husbands worked in high positions in the city. By the way, I cannot remember the area but it is well known. Believe it was in Manhattan. The wives were highly educated but their duty was to work at making sure the offspring were prepared to be successful. The wives were responsible for insuring the children were accepted into the best schools at every step of the way, and did well in their classes. This was their primary duty. They might also serve on boards or organize charity events or such.But the husband brought in the lion's share of the income, if not all. The woman made sure their heirs were winners. This had been so, and was still so for each generation.
I came from the "working poor". The only expectation was that you got work once you were done with school. Any job as long as it was not illegal lol
My dad unfortunately ruined me cause he kept bringing books home :)
I don't know how many here would find your upbringing strange. Now I am thinking while I write lol. Okay...some here might have not had the relative freedom, had parents who were my way or the highway types. But many of these people here seem to be the sort who are not going to find much of anything strange. You did have a unique and fortunate upbringing no doubt!
It is sad you felt like you could not let on you were a woman. Now to make you more sad :) I have to tell you there is a woman who posts here a lot. She has never hid the fact as far as I know. She asks for help in artifacts and such and gives it. In one particular thread she is outnumbered, so to speak, about 8-10 guys to her 1 lol. But apparently that is even. There is some good-natured teasing and serious discussion. She is respected by all there. And elsewhere on the forum. Maybe you already are aware of her.There are a lot of guys here who are not going to care what sex someone is because they generally respect people.
But it is true there are forums and communities where women either have to keep their sex hidden or they will be harassed without mercy.
Back in the nineties there was an old meme which stated there were no girls on the internet. It was darn near true. They are there now but they catch a lot of grief in some areas still. However, I have noticed this does not happen in forums with good mods.
I am in Barry County somewhat between Joplin and Springfield. Got brought here from Colorado by my parents when I was a kid.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ohhh geeeez!!! I guess I should have read the thread a little more before making a comment above.....I just kind of skipped through and posted.....Thinking there was an argument going on or something.:laughing7:

Kace I've read posts and Not that it matters, but I had no idea! I've also seen another name, that leaves likes, but I've never seen her post. I'm assuming it's a girl because of the name.

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
ohhh geeeez!!! I guess I should have read the thread a little more before making a comment above.....I just kind of skipped through and posted.....Thinking there was an argument going on or something.:laughing7:

Kace I've read posts and Not that it matters, but I had no idea! I've also seen another name, that leaves likes, but I've never seen her post. I'm assuming it's a girl because of the name.

It's All Good Nitric! lol! My aunt died a few days ago and I have family here so I've missed a lot apparently!

To me this has been a Great discussion...it's given people here opportunities to address stereotypes, ask questions from others and explain different viewpoints and experiences. All of that is good. I've learned from this thread.

We've all seen by this thread that not all men think alike and not all women think alike.

I like the civil war era and prohibition era history and that's my primary reason for choosing where I detect... honestly it never crossed my mind about more men collecting coins than women. I'm not what anyone serious about the hobby would call a coin collector...

I had a great uncle who was a big coin collector... he absolutely loved that. Every year for my birthday he would send me a coin from different places that was from my birth year. One year it was a mint set. He travelled a lot and had a room in his home that was just coins and currency displayed from all over. He carried a little coin purse and if he happened to be in town during the holidays, he'd pull that purse out that was full of foreign coins and tell all of us kids about the country each coin came from. He was a very learned and interesting man.

I don't think this thread should end, it's a great topic and the bottom line like most of said is that Metal Detecting is not exclusively a male or female hobby or profession.

I'm going to make an effort to get more kids involved outside of the kids in my life by asking them to bring a friend. I'm involved with several non-profits and I'm going to bring up getting some start up detectors for the boys and girls to use. If that would catch on, no doubt donors would provide funding to buy more. Then some of the involved adults would have to get involved too.

We all have to face the facts that there are many fractured families and also two parent homes with children who can't afford to or who do not have the time to not only buy detecting equipment but to take their kids out. The other thing is there are many people who don't have access to places to detect.

I Still think this was a great thread Terry!

Kace

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Um....we are ALL mentored by women (at least the ones lucky enough) ..our moms.
I will be the first to “ADMIT IT”
I learned how to bake, kind of mend my clothes, treat ALL people with respect, and trust I can do anything I set my mind to.
Perhaps..likely...not everyone is blessed enough to have had that.
Those that didn’t, hopefully someone else stepped in and filled those shoes.
Something to think about when you see someone that obviously is lacking.
That’s what will turn things around in our country.

IMA...I saw your original post, I'm glad you clarified what you meant to say.

When I said Casper was the first to admit being mentored by a woman, I meant to say and should of said the first to admit or said he was Mentored By a Woman Metal Detector Enthusiast.

You're exactly right, if any of us see a kid who needs or wants some help in any endeavor, we should step up.

Kace

dokc

Oct 24, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, it's great thread. I have been on this forum for years and haven't been able to contribute much as I'm so busy with work and family but my work has been extremely slow the last couple of weeks so I've been net surfing much of the day mostly because I'm putting off some chores I should be doing but just really don't want to do! This thread just happen to catch my eye due to a couple of the original comments that ruffled my feathers and I thought it would be good to give a different viewpoint.
I just think that so much could change and be better if we all just respect each others differences and learn to keep our tempers in check. Anger doesn't generally do anybody any good.

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, it's great thread. I have been on this forum for years and haven't been able to contribute much as I'm so busy with work and family but my work has been extremely slow the last couple of weeks so I've been net surfing much of the day mostly because I'm putting off some chores I should be doing but just really don't want to do! This thread just happen to catch my eye due to a couple of the original comments that ruffled my feathers and I thought it would be good to give a different viewpoint.
I just think that so much could change and be better if we all just respect each others differences and learn to keep our tempers in check. Anger doesn't generally do anybody any good.

I agree dokc...I think in order to be respectful of anyones differences, they have to be talked about openly first and that takes folks being comfortable asking questions and others being comfortable answering those questions. I told more about myself and my upbringing than I ever thought about doing, but I knew HBP couldn't be the only one thinking what he asked.

You told about your grandsons black, gay friend....I'd bet anything that there are gay members of Tnet or have someone that's gay in their families or close friends and also members who are black or the white members who have a black spouse or kids or grandchildren that are dating or married to someone black or of a different race.

I have an equal amount of what you would consider country folks in my family and friends and city family and friends. One thing I've noticed is it's much easier for the city folks to discuss things that are considered controversial than the country folks.

The great thing about this thread is that anyone who is reluctant to open up to family or friends about something controversial or against their raising or religion can ask those questions and do so in relative anonymity.. the cyber confessional so to speak. lol! It does help people to talk about things like that instead of keeping them repressed. We don't have to always agree with each other, but even opposing viewpoints give everyone something to think more about.

I'm glad you shared your grandsons story. That gave me something to think about that I've not been exposed to.

Kace

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's All Good Nitric! lol! My aunt died a few days ago and I have family here so I've missed a lot apparently!

To me this has been a Great discussion...it's given people here opportunities to address stereotypes, ask questions from others and explain different viewpoints and experiences. All of that is good. I've learned from this thread.

We've all seen by this thread that not all men think alike and not all women think alike.

I like the civil war era and prohibition era history and that's my primary reason for choosing where I detect... honestly it never crossed my mind about more men collecting coins than women. I'm not what anyone serious about the hobby would call a coin collector...

I had a great uncle who was a big coin collector... he absolutely loved that. Every year for my birthday he would send me a coin from different places that was from my birth year. One year it was a mint set. He travelled a lot and had a room in his home that was just coins and currency displayed from all over. He carried a little coin purse and if he happened to be in town during the holidays, he'd pull that purse out that was full of foreign coins and tell all of us kids about the country each coin came from. He was a very learned and interesting man.

I don't think this thread should end, it's a great topic and the bottom line like most of said is that Metal Detecting is not exclusively a male or female hobby or profession.

I'm going to make an effort to get more kids involved outside of the kids in my life by asking them to bring a friend. I'm involved with several non-profits and I'm going to bring up getting some start up detectors for the boys and girls to use. If that would catch on, no doubt donors would provide funding to buy more. Then some of the involved adults would have to get involved too.

We all have to face the facts that there are many fractured families and also two parent homes with children who can't afford to or who do not have the time to not only buy detecting equipment but to take their kids out. The other thing is there are many people who don't have access to places to detect.

I Still think this was a great thread Terry!

Kace

Sorry, for your Aunt.

I'll try to keep it short, since I like topics like this and have a lot of thoughts on it! :laughing7:

My wife and I both came from broken homes, my situation was no way as bad as hers and I was very lucky to have the family that I did.

The more people that are introduced the more that will have an interest. I've never viewed it as a male hobby, just thought that men were more interested in it. Just like cars, Mostly men, but there are female mechanics and race car drivers, just like anything else! My wife doesn't care to hunt, but loves to fish, more than I do!

That's cool about your uncle and coins! One of the worst thing that has ever happened to my wife...She collected coins, had a small binder of coins she bought and found. She never really knew her dad, he started coming around when we were older, because she was in bad car accident, and I believe he thought she was going to get money. She didn't get all that much and he stopped coming around as much. Anyhow, one of the first times he came around, she barely knew him. He mentioned it was Birthday, she ran in and grabbed her whole binder of coins and gave it to him!!!!!! The next week, he stopped by and bragged about how much he got at the pawn shop for them. Which was nothing!!!!!! That was the worst, and I haven't seen the same passion for coins from her since. She still looks at them but not the same interest.

As far as the stereo type we have? A lot of that came from a campaign to get females out of the work force. In this country there was a lot of thought and effort in that. During the wars there was a push to bring them from the farms and they also had to maintain the household and pay bills while men were at war. We also had a lot of manufacturing jobs that needed filled. The "propaganda" was designed to draw them in "Rosie the riveter" type stuff. After the war they needed to get them out of the work force, men were coming home and needed those jobs, another propaganda campaign came along to do this" leave it to beaver" type stuff, and this is where a lot of the stereotypes came from. Before all of that females were as tough as men. My Grandmother was still from the farms, She did yard work, maintained a garden or field, cut firewood, house maintenance, cleaned animals, pulled feathers, etc.......

All I know? Is after being around some of my wife's "Lady" friends, I've been trusted. Some will fill the stereo type while people are around, when certain company leaves they are no different! Just the same as guys! Wired a little different on certain things like our kids, but no different in all other topics. I've heard them talk just as bad as guys, show the same interests, etc...My wife can play it both ways. Be a lady around some of my family, cross her legs, put on the whole play of what's "expected". But!!! We get in the car to leave? ...."your hear what that old b... said to me? I'll knock her dentures down her throat, old fake a.. hag!" hahahaha We also have a "lady" in the neighborhood, a "southern belle". She hangs out with my wife and is real different around us. She can be herself!! She's no different than anyone else. But if you ask the neighborhood guys? Shes the perfect stereotype and most can't walk past her house without starting some bs conversation just to talk and look at her. :laughing7: While she's hitting the bowl when no ones looking!:laughing7:

People are people....And some may shy from the hobby because of that, but I just don't know that many have been introduced to it!

Last edited by a moderator:

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, for your Aunt.

I'll try to keep it short, since I like topics like this and have a lot of thoughts on it! :laughing7:

My wife and I both came from broken homes, my situation was no way as bad as hers and I was very lucky to have the family that I did.

The more people that are introduced the more that will have an interest. I've never viewed it as a male hobby, just thought that men were more interested in it. Just like cars, Mostly men, but there are female mechanics and race car drivers, just like anything else! My wife doesn't care to hunt, but loves to fish, more than I do!

That's cool about your uncle and coins! One of the worst thing that has ever happened to my wife...She collected coins, had a small binder of coins she bought and found. She never really knew her dad, he started coming around when we were older, because she was in bad car accident, and I believe he thought she was going to get money. She didn't get all that much and he stopped coming around as much. Anyhow, one of the first times he came around, she barely knew him. He mentioned it was Birthday, she ran in and grabbed her whole binder of coins and gave it to him!!!!!! The next week, he stopped by and bragged about how much he got at the pawn shop for them. Which was nothing!!!!!! That was the worst, and I haven't seen the same passion for coins from her since. She still looks at them but not the same interest.

As far as the stereo type we have? A lot of that came from a campaign to get females out of the work force. In this country there was a lot of thought and effort in that. During the wars there was a push to bring them from the farms and they also had to maintain the household and pay bills while men were at war. We also had a lot of manufacturing jobs that needed filled. The "propaganda" was designed to draw them in "Rosie the riveter" type stuff. After the war they needed to get them out of the work force, men were coming home and needed those jobs, another propaganda campaign came along to do this" leave it to beaver" type stuff, and this is where a lot of the stereotypes came from. Before all of that females were as tough as men. My Grandmother was still from the farms, She did yard work, maintained a garden or field, cut firewood, house maintenance, cleaned animals, pulled feathers, etc.......

All I know? Is after being around some of my wife's "Lady" friends, I've been trusted. Some will fill the stereo type while people are around, when certain company leaves they are no different! Just the same as guys! Wired a little different on certain things like our kids, but no different in all other topics. I've heard them talk just as bad as guys, show the same interests, etc...My wife can play it both ways. Be a lady around some of my family, cross her legs, put on the whole play of what's "expected". But!!! We get in the car to leave? ...."your hear what that old b... said to me? I'll knock her dentures down her throat, old fake a.. hag!" hahahaha We also have a "lady" in the neighborhood, a "southern belle". She hangs out with my wife and is real different around us. She can be herself!! She's no different than anyone else. But if you ask the neighborhood guys? Shes the perfect stereotype and most can't walk past her house without starting some bs conversation just to talk and look at her. :laughing7: While she's hitting the bowl when no ones looking!:laughing7:

People are people....And some may shy from the hobby because of that, but I just don't know that many have been introduced to it!

For a guy who was skeptical about an alien infestation complete with shape-shifting cats and flying monkeys you are turning out to be alright!
You made a lot of accurate observations. People do tend to alter their behavior according to who is around.
Btw, in the Victorian era ladies did not cross their legs. That was not considered lady-like behavior :)
I think it is generally accepted anyone who is capable and interested is usually welcome to do as they wish.
Sometimes women and men may have to struggle with acceptance into a field or hobby which is dominated by either sex.
I believe if men or women wish to have a private organization which excludes the other sex they should not be forced to admit the other sex. Just my opinion.
TNET is a private business and as such they are allowed to regulate posts.
In my opinion if a member, whether male or female, states they believe only men should metal detect and women belong in the home for example, I think such a post should be left up.
True, there may be little support for such a post, but I would rather know how someone feels as long as the post does not make false generalizations about how all women are weak, ignorant or too worried about getting dirty.
Perhaps civilization and increased leisure time led to the idea of men's roles and women's roles.
In the time of the Samurai there were Onna-bugeisha-
women trained in martial arts and the tanto who fought along with the men. Ancient Ireland has many women warriors although it is a bit difficult to separate the truth from myth.
Roles seem to shift back and forth according to the times, culture and needs.

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a similar problem myself. I'm a big dark featured dude who's genetically 5 1/2 % cave man and I look somewhat like it. I get all kinds of looks from people who must think I'm going beat them with the wand. if they new the replacement of the darned thing perhaps they'd be more comfortable.

I thing in these times in which people communicate electronically and seldom in person when they see something they've never seen before that "Well that's not what I expected thing!" cuts in.
Many of the folks I see detecting at resort beaches in the daytime are practically running. I take the time to find an unoccupied block near building or snack bar entrances and work a grid on it.
The guys that ran through earlier are sitting on their balconies trying to figure how I'm digging clad like a madman. If you're doing something different and you don't look like the rest of the crowd, you arouse suspicion in some folks. Maybe just human nature?

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
For a guy who was skeptical about an alien infestation complete with shape-shifting cats and flying monkeys you are turning out to be alright!
You made a lot of accurate observations. People do tend to alter their behavior according to who is around.
Btw, in the Victorian era ladies did not cross their legs. That was not considered lady-like behavior :)
I think it is generally accepted anyone who is capable and interested is usually welcome to do as they wish.
Sometimes women and men may have to struggle with acceptance into a field or hobby which is dominated by either sex.
I believe if men or women wish to have a private organization which excludes the other sex they should not be forced to admit the other sex. Just my opinion.
In my opinion if a member, whether male or female, states they believe only men should metal detect and women belong in the home for example, I think such a post should be left up.
True, there may be little support for such a post, but I would rather know how someone feels as long as the post does not make false generalizations about how all women are weak, ignorant or too worried about getting dirty.
Perhaps civilization and increased leisure time led to the idea of men's roles and women's roles.
women trained in martial arts and the tanto who fought along with the men. Ancient Ireland has many women warriors although it is a bit difficult to separate the truth from myth.

HBP...I only have a couple minutes right now but I Completely Agree with your statement about Men and Women having separate private clubs or organizations if that's what members want.

Where problems happened for some men's clubs including Country Clubs with and without tennis and golf courses is the Protestant and Catholic members didn't want Jewish men or men of color. I agree that private clubs should be able to have bylaws set by members. In this day and age, if members can afford it... if it's an all black men's club... who cares? Same as if there's an all white female club...who cares? If it's an Anyone is welcome.. that's great too.

There's a couple of men's country clubs with golf courses around here that I get invited to play on... women can't tee off until 4:30pm and then one open day per month. I love playing this one course, but I'd Never question the bylaws and completely understand and accept that it's a men's club and course. Always has been and I hope it's never forced to be co-ed.

Kace

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A pathetic thing is going on in my community now days. Years ago a man donated a large tract of land along the Shenandoah to be a recreational park. The town put in a dock, there was canoeing, archery, skeet shooting, a nice pool and a nine whole golf course.
The town father's saw fit to fix a membership rate that excluded almost everyone in the town except the families of the lawyers, business men, councilmen, rich farmers and well you get the idea. The rest of us, although offended, pretty much universally though "Who needs It!" We had a lot more fun when they weren't around anyway. We swam in the river or the state park or the abandoned quarries, fished anywhere we wanted, in farm ponds and park waters or the river, shot firearms and archery all the time on farms and other safe places. As the old members started dying off no one took their places, because of the advent of health clubs with their controlled environment and a new version of exclusivity. Now the town is fighting to hang onto the property because they are not holding up their part of the bargain. They tried to lease it out to someone with a dubious plan for development but were blocked by the town attorney. So as it is unfolding the property will revert back to the heirs all because of someone's warped concept of social engineering almost a hundred years ago.

Last edited:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I agree, with all of opinions in that post! I believe the same way, I'd add private business too, but that's a whole other topic.
I was headed somewhere with some of that in my post and I got lost by the time I finished and ended up a different direction.:laughing7: I'm not even going to try to sort it out. I need to stick to shorter posts.....

Except for the part about ...The alien infestation with shape-shifting cats and flying monkeys.

Everyone knows that monkeys can't fly! Geeeezzzz. Where do some of you come up with your beliefs? That's crazy talk! Even the Grey's use purple unicorn"s while searching for test subjects with their special little probes and would have a laugh at your flying monkey's!!!

Last edited:

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, Let's not talk about that probe thing. Too much like proctology! Yikes!

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 PowerMaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have time to read through all the pages of responses. I am a woman who does metal detecting and treasure hunting. I am 50 years old, and my mom got me into metal detecting and bottle hunting (digging old dumps) when I was around 12, starting with dumps first, then detecting around 14. We never ever got stared at, questioned, or treated like we were weird. NEVER. I can't imagine why anyone would think that either. THAT would be WEIRD to me. I love this hobby. I have three kids who have all been exposed to it, two of which are girls. None are interested in taking up the hobby. Sad for them. Everyone needs at least one hobby.

sheiswe

Oct 5, 2015
CT
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV,ace 250, garret AT PRO. Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
didnt think it was a big deal lol.I never care to pay attention to others, I'm too busy finding treasha

dokc

Oct 24, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thing I have a problem with when you start limiting private clubs to certain people is this - There are a lot of business opportunities that go on during those social events. Mr. White Guy at the private club gets a heads up for any jobs that his business can do while Ms. White Gal or Mr Black Guy won't get this opportunity even though they have the same businesses. This was used before to limit access and it was very successful. Now even if you open the clubs to everyone those people can still push their business to who they want but if someone else is in their line of sight there may just be a chance!

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thing I have a problem with when you start limiting private clubs to certain people is this - There are a lot of business opportunities that go on during those social events. Mr. White Guy at the private club gets a heads up for any jobs that his business can do while Ms. White Gal or Mr Black Guy won't get this opportunity even though they have the same businesses. This was used before to limit access and it was very successful. Now even if you open the clubs to everyone those people can still push their business to who they want but if someone else is in their line of sight there may just be a chance!

I cannot agree with forcing a private organization to admit people they do not wish to have as members.
That is a dangerous road to go down in my opinion.
I believe it would foster resentment and change very little. Maybe it would bring someone to the attention of a person who could steer business to a company.
But the reasons for exclusion can be complex.
There are tacit understandings of who is "one of us" in regard to such things as the university attended, family, polital affiliations and so on. An outsider may be allowed in but they will never be embraced fully.
Sure it rubs a lot of us the wrong way because of a sense of fairness.
Those who are excluded are free to form their own organizations.
I forgot to point out something: As a private organization Tnet could exclude women or men.Tnet could exclude certain countries. They do not exclude anyone, and this is a large part of their success, I believe.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread