Women, Girls and Metal Detecting - Do they Mix?

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
The thing I have a problem with when you start limiting private clubs to certain people is this - There are a lot of business opportunities that go on during those social events. Mr. White Guy at the private club gets a heads up for any jobs that his business can do while Ms. White Gal or Mr Black Guy won't get this opportunity even though they have the same businesses. This was used before to limit access and it was very successful. Now even if you open the clubs to everyone those people can still push their business to who they want but if someone else is in their line of sight there may just be a chance!

D...There are a few times I've ran into that all male club in business when dealing with old friends of my fathers clubs. It does take more work sometimes on the part of a woman business owner to find out the other interests of someone who you would like to do business with. No Doubt. Women business owners can get season tickets to sporting events (or 4 single game seats) whatever they can afford or concert venues or whatever else is popular in their neck of the woods and invite the owners and their wives if they have one and take another guest that's in a somewhat similar business. That type of thing breaks the ice.

I meantioned in my post that there's open times at the men's clubs here... Granted it's limited, but after 2-3 hours of playing golf there's always somewhere else to go to finish talking.

Now there is one very old exclusively all men's bar/restaurant/library/racquetball club that costs in the lower six figures to join plus 4 figure monthly dues...they have apartments upstairs too for members to rent. No Way...No How does any women or non member get in. There is a separate entrance if you're just going to the apartment areas. Women and guests of members can go in there, with a member. This club isn't even listed anywhere... it's a Private men's club Only. They pay dearly to have it that way.

I know of a few firms and companies that pay for some of their male executives to belong to it and they Have to be an Active member. The higher up female partners or executives get the amount of one membership figured into their compensation package. They can use that to join a club of their preference or for whatever they want... but they too are encouraged...not forced to belong to women's business organizations

At every men's club that I'm aware of, their wives or daughters are more likely than not to belong to some type of club or organization... Any woman who wants to do business with a male business owner who does belong to an all male club is going to get farther by becoming friends with his daughter or wife first...I guarantee you, the Mrs or the Daughter wields a lot of influence.

There's a lot of older Vets around this area who hang out at the VFW Halls... I personally haven't been affected by it, I'm not a vet...but there are women veterans that aren't readily accepted there. I think some of those guys don't want to feel like they have to check their language or jokes or talk openly in front of women about the things they saw or experienced.

Most women that I know don't care about words used and can talk smack themselves, but men...my father included, no matter what adjectives he used in front of my mother or I would come unglued if an employee or stranger did it saying it was disrespectful to talk that way in front of women. He Never cursed or used colorful language in front of other women.
If women would let guys know that the off color jokes or words aren't offensive unless they are Directed At Them...I know men relax more and they do start talking to us as friends and not some female that they have to think about everything they say.

HBP is right about even if private clubs are forced to admit outsiders... they might get to belong but they are Never accepted.

This is just my opinion on men's clubs.

Kace

Last edited:

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, with all of opinions in that post! I believe the same way, I'd add private business too, but that's a whole other topic.
I was headed somewhere with some of that in my post and I got lost by the time I finished and ended up a different direction.:laughing7: I'm not even going to try to sort it out. I need to stick to shorter posts.....

Except for the part about ...The alien infestation with shape-shifting cats and flying monkeys.

Everyone knows that monkeys can't fly! Geeeezzzz. Where do some of you come up with your beliefs? That's crazy talk! Even the Grey's use purple unicorn"s while searching for test subjects with their special little probes and would have a laugh at your flying monkey's!!!

I never heard of the flying purple unicorns.You will have to take this theological arguement to the New Contest thread where I am sure you will be branded a heretic.
Fveryone knows Dorothy was attacked by flying monkeys. I never have seen one myself but we have undisputed film!
To the point of this thread all shape-shifting felines are females. The aliens are very inclusive. You need to loosen your tinfoil hat.
This thread has provided an opportunity to hear some great stories.Who knew some of you people had metal-detecting grannies :)

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never heard of the flying purple unicorns.You will have to take this theological arguement to the New Contest thread where I am sure you will be branded a heretic.
Fveryone knows Dorothy was attacked by flying monkeys. I never have seen one myself but we have undisputed film!
To the point of this thread all shape-shifting felines are females. The aliens are very inclusive. You need to loosen your tinfoil hat.
This thread has provided an opportunity to hear some great stories.Who knew some of you people had metal-detecting grannies :)

hmmmm? I forgot about the wizard of oz......

I'll bet Dorthy could have done well detecting that place?

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kace...

The VFW must be different in area's. My wife was a member before I was. The ladies there were somewhat prized(The only word I can think of) because there were so few members. She was also a welder(mig and tig) at that time and had no problem getting work through the club because it was so unique to have a women welder. My membership came off of her's if I remember right, it's been a while. That club, in that town was very open to all. A lot of business owners in there and they were happy to buy whatever you were selling, or use a service if they needed it. That was also a very small town and kind of the hang out.Very little competition for any member there. Her Mom was also the bar maid so that probably didn't hurt anything either.

added...after thinking about that...I'm not sure if we had any voting rights. I don't remember. And maybe there are two types of memberships...It's been a long time and I don't remember. But I don't remember anything that we were excluded from. I do know they had to change things to get memberships up from the same 8 guys sitting around the bar every night.:laughing7:

Last edited:

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hmmmm? I forgot about the wizard of oz......

I'll bet Dorthy could have done well detecting that place?

I can't remember where Dorothy went but she lived in Kansas usually. I defy you to find any posts on Tnet where someone found anything in Kansas :p
I'm not even sure they have metal detectors in Kansas.
Wizard of Oz is a very woman-empowering film when you think about it. Although I don't think I ever watched it from start to finish.
Dorothy could not have metal detected there because the Tin Man would have set the machine off constantly. And I think she had buckles on her shoes?
Sometimes we think society is changing radically. But when people discuss these things, we often learn men and women have, without the force of laws or protests, have been quietly starting a busines, moving into an area outside "traditional" roles, and not making a fuss about it. Just doing what they do.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't remember where Dorothy went but she lived in Kansas usually. I defy you to find any posts on Tnet where someone found anything in Kansas :p
Wizard of Oz is a very woman-empowering film when you think about it. Although I don't think I ever watched it from start to finish.
Dorothy could not have metal detected there because the Tin Man would have set the machine off constantly. And I think she had buckles on her shoes?
Sometimes we think society is changing radically. But when people discuss these things, we often learn men and women have, without the force of laws or protests, have been quietly starting a busines, moving into an area outside "traditional" roles, and not making a fuss about it. Just doing what they do.

Isn't Billy the kids treasure in Kansas? A lot of Mob activity there too! There is some good stuff in Kansas!!!

Nooooo! She wore Ruby slippers! There is no metal in those!.......I think?:icon_scratch: Maybe that was Alice? :dontknow:

Last edited:

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
I defy you to find any posts on Tnet where someone found anything in Kansas :p

HBP...lol!! Do you want to put any $$$ on Detectors and Finds in KS?? Big Smile! I had to jump in on this! Don't look at my profile before you answer! lol!

Kace

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Kace...

The VFW must be different in area's. My wife was a member before I was. The ladies there were somewhat prized(The only word I can think of) because there were so few members. She was also a welder(mig and tig) at that time and had no problem getting work through the club because it was so unique to have a women welder. My membership came off of her's if I remember right, it's been a while. That club, in that town was very open to all. A lot of business owners in there and they were happy to buy whatever you were selling, or use a service if they needed it. That was also a very small town and kind of the hang out.Very little competition for any member there. Her Mom was also the bar maid so that probably didn't hurt anything either.

added...after thinking about that...I'm not sure if we had any voting rights. I don't remember. And maybe there are two types of memberships...It's been a long time and I don't remember. But I don't remember anything that we were excluded from. I do know they had to change things to get memberships up from the same 8 guys sitting around the bar every night.:laughing7:

I knew I should of expanded on the VFW Halls I'm familiar with when I wrote that..lol! There are the typical 10 guys that are there early in the morning and stay til 4-5pm when others start showing up. They were the ones I was speaking of not readily wanting women other than the bartender around.

It's a great networking place, lots of business owners go there.

These VFW's are pretty large compared to some towns I've seen. They have the ladies auxiliary and there are no voting rights for the Hall for the women, only in the ladies auxiliary.

Like what you've said, when older vets have died or became unable to be active and there's just a few guys there, they've had to allow everyone and most weekends there's live music, bingo one night a week and different speakers usually twice a month.

Correct me if I'm wrong...I could very well be, but wasn't the VFW started for Veterans of Foreign Wars... meaning it was a place for veterans that had fought overseas and not stationed Stateside?

Or was it for Any Veteran, even if they never left their home state?

That's cool your wife can weld...That's an art.

Kace

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HBP...lol!! Do you want to put any $$$ on Detectors and Finds in KS?? Big Smile! I had to jump in on this! Don't look at my profile before you answer! lol!

Kace

I saw that KS but I haven't looked at your profile in regard to treasure. I knew somebody was going to defend Kansas honor!
Would you tell Nitric Dorothy had sensible slippers throughout most of her journey? ;)
My sister and family lived in Garden City. We were going to go to a lake where there were lots of arrowheads but it didn't happen.
Well you post one of your Kansas finds in Random Chat. I am in the Show Me state after all :p
I will apologize *if* necessary lol

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the coin collecting angle is why there are so few women who detect. How many women do you know who collect coins or show any interest in them? I think most guys metal detect because they have an interest in coins.

The U.S. Mint states that their customer base is 87% male and 13% female. Metal detecting is probably close to the same percentage when it comes to men and women. Not a coincidence, in my opinion.

https://www.linns.com/news/us-stamps-postal-history/2016/november/us-mint-demographic-report-coin-collecting-hobby-stamp-collecting-hobby.html

And out of the 13% of females that are customers of the U.S. Mint, 10% are buying coins for males in their life. LOL.

I think there is some truth to your logic but to expand, I think men generally enjoy many historic things be it coins or other relics...more so than women. I will clarify this is just generally speaking, stereotyping. There are women that enjoy relics and coins and I have no problem with female collectors and detectorists. I would(and have) encourage women to get involved in the hobby.

OO

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
I saw that KS but I haven't looked at your profile in regard to treasure. I knew somebody was going to defend Kansas honor!
Would you tell Nitric Dorothy had sensible slippers throughout most of her journey? ;)
My sister and family lived in Garden City. We were going to go to a lake where there were lots of arrowheads but it didn't happen.
Well you post one of your Kansas finds in Random Chat. I am in the Show Me state after all :p
I will apologize *if* necessary lol

I will be happy to... I'll even post them from 3 counties. I'm Missouri born and bred. As strange as it sounds I needed to buy property on the Kansas side. I'm very close to the Sante Fe Trail and also the State Line no matter where I am in either state.

My family is still here from out of town... I'll try to take some pics late tonight if or after they go to bed. lol! Love em' but it's like fish... 3rd day and gotta go!! lol!

No apologies necessary...I was just jokin' with you and your statement regarding KS. ... But there really are great places in Kansas to detect and arrowhead hunt. I still prefer MO though.

Kace

PS...I've only made two posts regarding finds... It's just something I've never started doing.

Last edited:

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will be happy to... I'll even post them from 3 counties. I'm Missouri born and bred. As strange as it sounds I needed to buy property on the Kansas side. I'm very close to the Sante Fe Trail and also the State Line no matter where I am in either state.

My family is still here from out of town... I'll try to take some pics late tonight if or after they go to bed. lol! Love em' but it's like fish... 3rd day and gotta go!! lol!

No apologies necessary...I was just jokin' with you and your statement regarding KS. ... But there really are great places in Kansas to detect and arrowhead hunt. I still prefer MO though.

Kace

PS...I've only made two posts regarding finds... It's just something I've never started doing.

Missouri is a great place to detect-i am not getting out enough. And I am new to the hibby.
Years ago there was an interesting display in the courthouse in the Carthage courthouse. There were two arrows taken from the bodies of white men on a creek either on the Missouri-Kansas border or in Kansa as I recall. The arrows were straight and short with tattered fletching. The heads were Iron and about three inches long. Very crude actually. I would have hated getting shot with those! Not sure if the display is still there.
I'm sorry about your loss. Not the happiest circumstances to see family.
I can't wait to see your finds even if they came from Kansas ;)

I'm sorry about your aunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread