Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well I knew that there had to be a few who understood this mess. I burned another 5 bags of paper waste yesterday morning and then loaded and hauled 8 truck loads of valuables (in my father's eyes) up to his new shop. also loaded several more of those huge outdoor trash bags. This morning we made a lot of progress as the very heavy stuff got hauled up to the new house (and I didn't have to do it....my brother-n-law did!:headbang:) I actually can see some light now for us and this house(can't say that yet for the two car garage.) A lot of this about not letting him see what I am throwing away or burning. Yes, I make sure it isn't anything important first. most of the time, he wouldn't even realize he still had something if he didn't see it again. He got frantic yesterday when something wasn't where "it was supposed to be." Turned out he had moved it himself but it wasn't looking very good for me for a bit there. if it something of his, he can tell where and when he got it or who gave it to him and then he wants to keep it again LOL.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I knew that there had to be a few who understood this mess. I burned another 5 bags of paper waste yesterday morning and then loaded and hauled 8 truck loads of valuables (in my father's eyes) up to his new shop. also loaded several more of those huge outdoor trash bags. This morning we made a lot of progress as the very heavy stuff got hauled up to the new house (and I didn't have to do it....my brother-n-law did!:headbang:) I actually can see some light now for us and this house(can't say that yet for the two car garage.) A lot of this about not letting him see what I am throwing away or burning. Yes, I make sure it isn't anything important first. most of the time, he wouldn't even realize he still had something if he didn't see it again. He got frantic yesterday when something wasn't where "it was supposed to be." Turned out he had moved it himself but it wasn't looking very good for me for a bit there. if it something of his, he can tell where and when he got it or who gave it to him and then he wants to keep it again LOL.

I'm also going to guess that he had many hobbies and interests....Us out here that are jumping from hobby to hobby, interest to interest, also tend to hoard a lot of junk, to tinker with too! :laughing7: Even though I have thinned out my mess, I still have stuff that really has no purpose other than to occupy my boredom when I feel like playing around with stuff...

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes the sinful display of greed on this site is disgusting makes me sick lol Im deplorable also and proud of it!!!!!!!!

Hey...I didn't say any of it was worth anything(in coins)!! :laughing7: When you buy collections, you sell the prime stuff first to recover the money and make profit, Pay shop rent etc...(at least that's what we did), the easy to sell stuff, then your left over with all the nickel and dime stuff....You have to have it around in case a customer wants to fill their penny book, but actually make very little on it, before you know it? There are buckets, boxes, etc...of low grade or common stuff that's just being shoved to the side for "another day, when I get to it...." Some of it isn't even worth it's weight after you move it around,price it,protect it, and deal with it too many times.:laughing7: What I wouldn't give just to have the low grade and common stuff now!! I barely have enough in the bank to buy gas!:laughing7:

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I know what you all mean! My parents, two older sisters and their husbands all who have since passed never were real hoarders even though my parents both grew up during the Depression. I guess the reason they did not hoard is because they never had much so there wasn't much to hoard but we did not waste anything when I was growing up. Even table salt which was cheap back in the 1950s to mid 1960s but to my Mom, it was cherished and only to be used when needed for food. I always loved to go out to the garden, pick some really nice tomatoes and dig up some nice turnips to eat and sit in the garden and eat them but she would not let me take the salt container. Desperate for salt for my tomatoes and turnips, I went down to the barn in the pasture field, broke off a piece of a salt block, then washed it under the outside water spigot and went back to the garden to eat my tomatoes and turnips. Now myself, my ex-wife and daughters, we hoard everything but my hoarding consists of coins, gems, rocks and Gold concentrates. To this day, I still don't know where some of these are because my daughter has a habit of re-organizing. Some stuff goes either to the upstairs or downstairs garages or sometimes gets tossed. Even though the soil on my' property likely did not have Gold in it when we purchased it but it does now. My daughter has dumped quite a few buckets of my Gold concentrates into the yard. The last time she did so, I read her the riot act because there were some decent pickers in the concentrates. When I sold my first main collection of coins which consisted mainly of Error and Variety coins, it took several medium totes to hold all of the rolls, bags and boxes of coins as I had more than 15,000 Error and Variety coins alone besides hundreds and hundreds of key date, semi-key date and other collectible coins. I even saved the very first coin I found when I took up metal detecting but don't ask me where it is because I don't know.:dontknow::laughing7:

Last edited:

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never understood hoarding. Why would anyone save worthless junk? I would never do that...

DSC09478.JPG

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem with hoarders is their inability to decide what's junk and what has value. Some of these bottles and jars have value, but most are worth zip. I should just toss 90% of this stuff, but can't do it. Why? Because I found most of them. Seems like a waste of my time to toss them after I dug them up, dragged them home and cleaned them up. Justifying your hoard of things is a classic sign that you need help! LOL!

DSC09480.JPG DSC09481.JPG DSC09482.JPG DSC09483.JPG DSC09484.JPG

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not at all!! I understand completely!!! I had parts to cars I will probably never own...But...That Hurst shifter and superbee scoops,flip gas cap, rally honeycomb grille, etc... sure look cool by the toolbox!!:laughing7: I have/had the disease, I understand this!!

Heck!!!! I just drug home a 91 AWD TSI talon, Missing motor and trans! Why? Because it's solid, not a spec of rust anywhere, and it was only $200 bucks!!! How can anyone pass that up? Chances of me building that thing are slim. But I had to have it. The fun was in the challenge of getting it, digging it out of a guys yard, and getting it home on a trailer. Once I got it here? I lost most of the interest. For some of us it's the challenge of getting certain things then after that challenge is complete? We stick it aside and look for another challenge. Don't want to deal with the other stuff, already won!!! :laughing7:

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I kept my 1970 Superbee grille hanging im my basement and my mopar Rallye tic toc tach ,
Trans am parts corvette parts Im not a hoarder. Im just saving someone else from hoarding this stuff!!!!!!

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I kept my 1970 Superbee grille hanging im my basement and my mopar Rallye tic toc tach ,
Trans am parts corvette parts Im not a hoarder. Im just saving someone else from hoarding this stuff!!!!!!

I worked in an old junk yard in the mid 90's while in High school. They scrapped rows and rows of cars from the 60's and 70's as a "cleanup". I was allowed to take whatever I wanted before scrap. I pulled glass,rims, carbs, whatever I could grab in the mopar category. I had my dad's basement half full!!! Over the years most of it was given away, or thrown away, at different times to make room. There are only 4 or 5 prized by us pieces left. That and I've had a lot of A body's when I lived there. That was the era where you could pick them up for $200 or less. Throw a motor in it on the weekend, tear the crap out of it, and change parts again the next Fri. night.:laughing7:

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow That would be great I had a 70 charger pulled the 318 dropped the k frame in there with my personally rebuilt 440 B&M slap stick shifter I wish I still had that car. My whole high school parking lot was these classic cars cudas challengers I bought a 72 chevell 350 from my neighbor for 55 bones a split bumper Camaro 900 bones. Those were the days now those cars and parts are like gold. I have a 96 Trans am convertible 6 speed in my garage now. rebuilding slowly. I saw a article in Car Craft this guy has a warehouse full of parts from 3 dealerships from the 70s hemi heads engines blocks 6 packs, max wedge intakes box after box brand new every thing and he will not sell a single rubber washer. If I could find that kind of stuff in the ground I would need a lot of acres I would be a Hoarder of the highest order. They would have to catch me with a net and throw me in the Booby hatch

Last edited:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow That would be great I had a 70 charger pulled the 318 dropped the k frame in there with my personally rebuilt 440 B&M slap stick shifter I wish I still had that car. My whole high school parking lot was these classic cars cudas challengers I bought a 72 chevell 350 from my neighbor for 55 bones a split bumper Camaro 900 bones. Those were the days now those cars and parts are like gold. I have a 96 Trans am convertible 6 speed in my garage now. rebuilding slowly. I saw a article in Car Craft this guy has a warehouse full of parts from 3 dealerships from the 70s hemi heads engines blocks 6 packs, max wedge intakes box after box brand new every thing and he will not sell a single rubber washer

Back at that time we were offered two 426's torn apart in a barn. The guy wanted $1200 for everything..."Is he insane? I'm not paying that much for that stuff!!!" :BangHead: If we only knew!

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow That would be great I had a 70 charger pulled the 318 dropped the k frame in there with my personally rebuilt 440 B&M slap stick shifter I wish I still had that car. My whole high school parking lot was these classic cars cudas challengers I bought a 72 chevell 350 from my neighbor for 55 bones a split bumper Camaro 900 bones. Those were the days now those cars and parts are like gold. I have a 96 Trans am convertible 6 speed in my garage now. rebuilding slowly. I saw a article in Car Craft this guy has a warehouse full of parts from 3 dealerships from the 70s hemi heads engines blocks 6 packs, max wedge intakes box after box brand new every thing and he will not sell a single rubber washer

Back at that time we were offered two 426's torn apart in a barn. The guy wanted $1200 for everything..."Is he insane? I'm not paying that much for that stuff!!!" :BangHead: If we only knew!

dokc

Oct 24, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As an idea for all those that have large collections that aren't worth that much to them anymore. Perhaps you could sprinkle some of those treasures around for others to find. Maybe find an old park and bury some coins, place some of those bottles in ponds for others to find. It might bring delight to someone else and just the thought of that could be exciting.
As for the cars - my first car was a '70 challenger with a 340 4bbl with a pistol grip shifter. My brother had a 69' charger with a 440 and sold the body but I got the motor and put it in mine after I rebuilt it with a RV cam and a few other improvements. That was a fun car to drive.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Inherited a house once. Three generations of hoarding. No running water inside. cupboards full of 1950's tins etc. Whole house FULL of plastic lids,newspapers,every box for every appliance...every receipt..hundreds of mis matched knives and forks rotting books, broken hifis, record players electric organs, 100s of 78s. etc. etc.... and that was INSIDE

Now...the outbuildings.... All jokes aside, from memory it was 28 trailer loads (6' x 4' with sides) to the dump. Inside and out. Was taking up to 4 loads a day. Antiques? sure but they were all broken and repaired so worthless. Also alot of the antiques were cheap back in the day when new so again no real value.

still shuddering at the thought.

These days my wife and I live 'packed and ready to go'ha ha. Not quite super minimalist but by no means materialistic or hoarders. I regularly give my workshop a hard prune. Surprising how much junk accumulates. No point holding onto it if you cant find it!

cleaned up my fathers 'treasures' after he killed himself. Laughable that most of these 'valubles' are actually worthless if you are in a hurry to cash in (pre gumtree/ebay/craigs list era). Take a deep breath and realise that landfill and charity are your friend.

Chub

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread