ANYBODY DO ANY MAKE SHIFT AUTO BODY WORK ?

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Replacing some doors can be fun.Years ago I use to strip cars in a salvage yard.I forget the make of the car but to get the front doors off of it you had to take the dashboard out.Stupidest design I have ever saw.

There were a few that were welded on too...I remember driving the pins out of the hinge.

mech1

Greenie
Jan 5, 2013
SE PA
Detector(s) used
AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still like my metal type /duct tape at lowes ,,type places .. My accountant smacked a guard rail this winter w/a Saturn ,,,plastic doesn't fair well against metal ...lol .Made part of a quarter and door lasted him for months ,till he got rid of it .. Just clean off a smooth area above the rust , just start putting it on ,,and working your way down covering 1/2 of the above layer as you go down,, You can relayer it to make it thicker

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
On this car the top hinge bolts get put on from the inside and of course the dashboard was in the way to get them out..

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thin sheet metal and JB Quick Weld should do the trick. Grind the rusted area down to bare metal first. You can skim coat the sheet metal with Bondo to make it look better, but it tends to draw moisture in eventually. Sand the Bondo to smooth it out and hit it with primer and then a top coat.

This is a quick, sturdy, and not-too-expensive fix. Since you are looking to stop air influx and not too worried about looks, you may be able to score a piece of aluminum flashing from contractors working in the area. Yes, there will be some dissimilar metal corrosion but, if you use something like JB Weld or a thin coating of fiberglass epoxy, that should provide enough separation to prevent gross corrosion.

As everyone else has said, grind away as much rust as you can and, if possible, treat with some rust conversion/preventative.

OP
OP
nomad 11

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
Yep, fell out of the clouds! Keep looking up maybe some will fall for you!

I was giving you an idea of something to look for at the hardware store. Good luck!

well thats just what i'm going to do. i'm going outside and wait for that stuff to fall out of the clouds. K

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions