This might be my best permisson....

rjeffw

Mar 27, 2017
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It helps to know people in the right places. What you see is the old Burnsville College. Here is a to some of its history

YCI - Explore Burnsville

It is old, and I am very happy.

bldg.jpg

So what I want to know from you guys. If you were to get to hunt something like this. What would be the lowest signal you would dig? I am using the AT Pro, and I want to get everything that I can.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would just dig anything 80 and up for now. You never know when someone is going to whine and they'll revoke your permission...

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with FBT...I'd cherry pick the crap out a that place, just in case some nosy busy body throws a wrench into your permission. And then..after you've plundered all the high beeps, go gold diggin...looking forward to seeing what you find! Ddf.

OP
OP
rjeffw

rjeffw

Mar 27, 2017
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with FBT...I'd cherry pick the crap out a that place, just in case some nosy busy body throws a wrench into your permission. And then..after you've plundered all the high beeps, go gold diggin...looking forward to seeing what you find! Ddf.

So being a Garrett guy, what signals would you cherry pick? 70 and up?

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To truly cherry pick would be 82 and up for me, but I'd dig those nickel signals right about 50-54 because I like nickels and one gold ring pays for a lot of silver dimes. Plus other hunters of the same mind set may have cherry picked but few patiently dig those 50s signals. If you start finding older coins I'd go cherry picking hoping you can go back over it later.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
70 and up and you'll be digging pennies all day. 80 and up and you'll be digging dimes and quarters, plus silver jewelry. If you start out slow, then you can drop down to 70. Just my opinion.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That old retaining wall looks very promising, I'd bet that there are more than a few coin spills from people sitting on the wall, and since it looks rather flat-topped I bet people used it as a table for sorting pocket contents/coins as well.

I agree with the cherrypicking suggestion, hoover up the good signals while the permission is fresh then go back and dig the rest if the permission continues to stand.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Looks good. All good comments above. The only this I would add is, i wouldn't carry a big digging shovel. Use a hand digger. You don't want to look like you're planting a garden. Good luck.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
It's been hunted. Dig ALL good signals and start somewhere that you think may have been missed. I'll bet you don't find many signals higher than 82 that aren't new drops.
HOPE I'M WRONG!

HH ALL

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
rjeffw

rjeffw

Mar 27, 2017
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Taking all this good advice in, I went and talked to the librarian myself. The county planner said he would, but I wanted to talk to her in person for 2 reasons. One I wanted to make sure she was aware of what i was doing in-case somebody did call, and the planner had not called them. I also wanted to secure my permission in-case of a nosy person. I did this by telling step by step what I would be doing, how I would be digging and that if I was able to find any personal atifacts that I might pass some along so they could display them. This way I don't have to be in a hurry and make this a multi day hunt. Because it will take a bit. I also asked if they had any old pics of the area and the three trees that you see in the google map, were on the grounds when the school was built. SO
I will be attacking them hard as well. Also found out that, when the college closed up in 26, it was not left vacant. It became a school, can't remember if high school or elementary, but it was a school up to about 20 years go, when it went vacant. So maybe there is life left in that dirt.

MM_002.jpg

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
burnsville always looked like a neat little town, I spent a few summers down the road working for artists at Penland and the energy exchange. Do you have any idea if the energy exchange artist residency is still going? Was a pretty cool place running a glass and ceramics studio off of landfill gas.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Please hurry up and go hunt the place. I am dying to see if get anything.

Usually places like that have been well hunted in the past. I am anxious to see if you get anything good. The place looks good, but I can only assume that it looked good to everyone with a metal detector for the last 40 years.

Good luck brother!

OP
OP
rjeffw

rjeffw

Mar 27, 2017
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
burnsville always looked like a neat little town, I spent a few summers down the road working for artists at Penland and the energy exchange. Do you have any idea if the energy exchange artist residency is still going? Was a pretty cool place running a glass and ceramics studio off of landfill gas.

As far as I know it still is. I know Penland is still going strong.

OP
OP
rjeffw

rjeffw

Mar 27, 2017
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please hurry up and go hunt the place. I am dying to see if get anything.

Usually places like that have been well hunted in the past. I am anxious to see if you get anything good. The place looks good, but I can only assume that it looked good to everyone with a metal detector for the last 40 years.

Good luck brother!

I hope not. I am not sure how popular detecting is around here to be honest. Hopefully nobody has ever heard of a detector around here!

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as I know it still is. I know Penland is still going strong.

nice ,super cool area out there. Another place I would detect around there is down the road where they do the big gem shows every year. Gotta be a few nice jewelry drops there for sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread