Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting. Thank you Kray. I’ve never seen one before, but I’ll check out their range to see if they’re in my area. Perhaps it’s too cold, but with climate change, they may make it up here. I won a $10 bet on a saddleback once. My roommate in college found one. I told him not to touch it and why. He thought all caterpillars were harmless. I’d been stung before. After he was proven wrong, I was $10 richer.

Just checked... range is extreme southern Virginia and south. Guess that’s why I haven’t seen one. Thanks again for the heads-up.

Make sure to stay away from large, orange and black or red and black, fuzzy insects that look like ants too. They’re actually wingless wasps. The ones around me are called cow killers because of how painful their stings are. I know most folks don’t go around picking up cool looking insects, but some do...

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Oh yeah, cow killers. We have plenty of those. Never been nailed by one though. I hear they're bad news.

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Iberville Parish, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 / Garrett AT Max /
Garrett Pro Pointer / Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m not even going to watch that. I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t be good. That guy must be a masochist. I saw a video of him deliberately letting a snapping turtle bite his hand. He glued a dowel rod to the side of his hand but fortunately, the turtle went around it. I was searching YouTube for that kind of video because I was telling my sons about being careful around softshell turtles and snapping turtles because of their long necks and bad attitudes. We had seen a softshell earlier in the day while flipping rocks in the creek.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Yea... I dont think he is dealing from a full deck of cards.

https://www.youtube.com/user/BreakingTrail/videos

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Iberville Parish, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 / Garrett AT Max /
Garrett Pro Pointer / Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
God God Buck8point.....you did it....
Never have I ever subscribed to a you tube channel, but you got me....
This guy is nuts, I’m all in on these videoes

its almost like you cant stop watching the utter stupidity..

OP
OP
Kray Gelder

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If my wife saw that, she would research its native host plant, and nurture it to become a butterfly.
I’m not showing her this.

Especially when she sees the adult moth! Found this...luxurious fur coat! aaaaaaaaaaaamoth.jpg

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh alright... I’ll watch the velvet ant one, but that’s it!!

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

OP
OP
Kray Gelder

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My personal experience with one of those critters...unknowingly brought it into my house in a houseplant (I guess). It got me in my armpit. I don't think it was as bad as a broken bone (never had one) but it hurt and my arm had numbness for a few hours. I called down to the ER. The nurse said since it had been over twenty minutes, and I wasn't dead, that I would be okay...thanks, I guess.:tongue3:

Glad you're not dead!

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was searching the net about bees that sting. There was a website where a group of college boys got all the different kinds of bees and let them sting them. Then they wrote about how the sting effected them. The worst sting came from a western US bee called a tarantula hawk. Some people are crazy for sure. Gary

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing all the info on this moth. I’ve never seen or heard of these before. I hope they don’t ever make their way this far north. Geeeeesh.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Well I'll be darn.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

randywa

Sep 29, 2017
S.W. Mo.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
When it comes to nature, DON"T TOUCH ANYTHING! Keep your hands to yourself. You'll live longer.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah, cow killers. We have plenty of those. Never been nailed by one though. I hear they're bad news.

Same here, but a saddleback did nail me once. Brushed up against one in the woods. Some kinda painful, but that puss worm or whatever y'all call it sounds like a rough character.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember the first and the last time I grabbed one of those when I was 6. Quit playing with fuzzy bugs after that.:cross:

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
another great reason to live up north hahaha

OP
OP
Kray Gelder

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
another great reason to live up north hahaha

No kidding! Only one time does a person take a casual walk through the woods, off trail, or road, here in summer. From then on it's a defensive reconnoiter, followed by a careful retreat. Way too many hostiles in the woods. I only venture into the forest after a couple of hard frosts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread