Advice on getting permissions

Raider19962

Mar 4, 2018
Delaware, The First State
Detector(s) used
White's, Technetics, Fisher M, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, so I have a really great looking spot I want to hunt, an old Colonial river landing site, and I of course need to get permission from the property owner. Since I really don't want to screw it up and forever block myself from the site, do you have any advice on the best way to go about this? Do you print up flyers? Business-like cards? Phone call or a cold walk up to the door? Counter offers like, Hey, I'll pick up any trash I see while I'm there?"

Thanks, for the help and suggestions.

DiggerKid2003

Jul 5, 2014
Spotsylvania VA
Detector(s) used
Garret At Pro, Garret Pro Pointer, Wireless Z-Lynk headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All I do is walk up to their door and knock and ask. Be as nice as you can Of course and try to explain what it is if they don't know. But if they don't want anyone to go there's not much you can do.

joe_dirt

Jan 15, 2013
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Personally I don't think it's necessary to print anything if they're going to say no it probably wouldn't help anyway and as long as you're polite and friendly I really wouldn't worry about blocking yourself from the site forever just go for it you really have nothing to lose let us know how it goes, good luck

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
How would you want to be approached by some one wanting to poke around on your property?

I'm not saying to try this.....Only hinting at what I might do.

"Hello. I'm (So and so) and I have an interest in the areas history. You have an amazing house,do you know it's history? ( Let em talk if they are willing. And be a good listener.)
Part of my research around here has shown some activity long ago down by the water. Not sure how much or how long but there may be some evidence.
I also metal detect for old metal , and always hope to find something older than I am ,l.o.l..and no that does not involve big holes and heavy equipment if that's what comes to mind.
If you're interested I can demonstrate a recovery , and there will be little sign anyone has been around.
There will be stuff in this neat old yard , but my main interest is in taking a look by the water.

I turn up anything of interest I can let you know ,or you could join me if you are not comfortable with a stranger out there. I can understand that.
It's hit or miss of course but if there is much of anything ,maybe you could put something on a wall to go with your houses history."

If you do get permission , ask where to park.
Also how to let the owner know when you leave. They don't want to be wondering if you broke a leg or something. And some will want to see what you found. Do also show your modern trash if finding it.

Should they say no , smile and thank them for their time. Not easy but you or some one else may ask again. Plus they have neighbors and a network in the community.
Should you become known for asking permissions , how you present yourself may be known before you ask at the next permission.....

Better to be know as a harmless polite history hobby nut , that a sullen wanting to plunder guy trying to get on some ones property.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure I'd go with cards or flyers as a person asking permission. For recovery service? Yes, they would make you look more professional. Sometimes you don't want to be a professional, And I think some permissions are that case. If that makes any sense.:laughing7:

Appearance for the area, and if possible the age of the owner. There is a lot to that. Look like the guy your getting permission from. If it's possible to figure that out in advance.

Words, stay away from "Negative" words. Keep it upbeat, not too extreme. :laughing7: Listen to them and be quiet if possible, use their Vocab. after you've heard them speak for a while.. This is mostly if you kind of know the person or have seen them around.

I actually think this is somewhat of an art! Kind of like sales. Everything above isn't always possible and is just added to what's mentioned in the posts above, but you can get a feel from what the homeowner drives, keeps their yard, what's sitting around, area..etc.... I really think this stuff makes a big difference on a permission that you really want.

If a "NO"...that isn't always the end! There are the "no" that there is just no way around. Then there are the others that change over time into "yes".

I've happened to see guys mowing grass on old farm houses when my wife and I would just go driving looking for spots and just swing in the drive and ask. Most people are cool! I've run into more people that were curious too than not. I've also passed up the places that look like they take huge pride in their landscaping, flower beds, and everything looks perfect. Those are usually going to be "no" anyhow.

Last edited:

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like the others have said, knock, introduce yourself, compliment their house and their landscaping. Then give them the spiel about metal detecting. Avoid words such as dig, holes, mess etc. Because even if they are listening to your spiel each words puts a picture in their head and if you fill their head with destruction of their property you'll get a " I rather you didn't" or a flat no.

You can also buy a small shadow box at Michael's for a couple bucks and a sheet of red felt and glue it in and show them it and say you'd be happy to put a few items in their for them to display in their home. They visually like that idea. They get a free gift and didn't even have to get their hands dirty. If you have some extra plain buckles and Indian head pennies, bring them with you in case you run out of time at the new spot and want to go back. Give them your Indians and buckles and say "Here, found these, please have them. I had a ton of fun and would like to come back next weekend for a few hours if that's ok" almost guaranteed yes.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Nothing but a short, to the point introduction, with intentions, maybe 30 seconds long. Always works for me.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Meet the man face to face. Telling your hobby is collecting old buttons and artifacts. Notice I didn't say money. Never tell them you are looking for old money. Tell him you'll be glad to share what you find. Don't be greedy. He will eventually tell you to keep it all. Tell him you take the trash and try to leave his place better than you found it. Not saying you're one of these people but too many people can't talk face to face anymore because they've been on Facebook or Twitter extremely too much and can't have a normal conversation in person.its nothing less than a sales call. First impressions are the most important.

Bama Billy

Apr 2, 2018
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also use the word “relic” never coins, gold or silver. If you do a demo for the owner, I’d look for a shallow target. Good luck

RTH

Sep 22, 2015
Hunterdon County NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, White's MXT, Minelab EQ800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of good advice from everyone. I would also leave a business card with my name and phone number on it. If you leave the person with the thought that there may be interesting items on his property, the thought may nag them to the point that they may change their mind or at least want more information. Plus a business card helps to foster the impression that you are not some vagabond passing through the area. Maybe even leave a name and number of a reference of someone whose property you have hunted before.

Just another suggestion, if you are planning on approaching several homes in an area, it may not be a bad idea to notify the local police ahead of time to avoid an embarrassing, if not legal, situation should someone complain.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread