Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a kid, I watched a late night movie about a group hunting a treasure either in the Grand Canyon, or some U.S. desert...

This would have been around the late 70s or very early 80s, which means the movie was most likely from the 70s. I remember parts of it, but not sure about everything. It started out laying out the history of the treasure from Central or South America, with natives fighting each other (then presumably the Spanish) over the treasure...then...this is where my memory fades...it was either a narrative about the Spanish taking it into what is now the U.S., or...a narrative about a group hunting it at some point after. There was definitely a documentary part at the end about a group retracing the steps of the earlier group, because I remember them showing and old rusty iron ring driven into the side of a rock cliff that they presented as being used by the previous group.

I'm just not sure if it was all a documentary or just the beginning and end, with a dramatized middle....or a pseudo documentary like "Boggy Creek".

I thought that I had found it with "Seven Cities of Gold" from 1955, as it started very similar, but just didn't seem to fit...I'll admit that I didn't watch much of it after the beginning, but it seemed more dated than the movie I remember...the documentary part at then end just screamed "1970s". If the 1955 movie had a documentary part at the end...maybe that was it...I just don't think so.

Anyone else remember this obscure film?

I usually have pretty good "Google-Fu", but not with this one!

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Hey Jon, I actually have that on DVD at home! I believe the one you are referring to is Montezuma's Lost Gold. That one is basically the Montezuma legend based around Kanab, Utah. There is also a Curse of the Mayan Temple one. They are Bill Burrud Productions. If you go to ebay or Amazon look for Quest for Adventure Volume 3. It's a 3 DVD set that includes those two I mentioned plus one called the Last Ark. I watched those in the 80s and it took me years to find the titles and then DVDs. I absolutely LOVE those films. Hope that helps!

OP
OP
Jon Phillips

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much!!

It has been driving me crazy for a while!

I'll check them out for sure!

OP
OP
Jon Phillips

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty sure it was something like...."Gold.....Precious Gold" right?

I just remembered that part!

There was a horror movie that I saw as a kid that I couldn't find for a while as well....It was an older movie that was shown on "Creature Feature" with "Doctor Paul Bearer" on a Saturday afternoon. It was about a guy driving through England looking for a location to shoot a movie and he stops in a quaint little village where everyone was dressed nice and had plenty to eat but never seemed to go to work...The young woman that was showing him around told him that everything they got came from "the boxes"....I won't spoil it, but I could never figure out what movie it was. I finally found it was a short story from a movie with Vincent Price called "The Monster Club" from 1981...Underrated movie and worth watching.

The internet is a wonder for sharing information....Those two movies were driving me crazy trying to figure out their names, now I know both of them!

OP
OP
Jon Phillips

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just ordered it...less than $6 shipped, and I went ahead and got Vol 2, since there was another treasure episode on it, and it was less than $5 shipped!

The Monster Club is still a little too much for region 1 dvds, and region A Blu Rays.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My favorite the treasure of the Sierra madre

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Iberville Parish, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 / Garrett AT Max /
Garrett Pro Pointer / Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never saw that I gotta get it now. I love coast to coast AM in past shows about a week ago they had a treasure hunter on it amazing stories and finds he had......... check it out that is the best late night radio ever with 1000s of past shows with Art Bell covering almost every topic possible.......

OP
OP
Jon Phillips

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two things always scared me as a kid....well three...One was The Legend of Boggy Creek....I lived in a rural area that you had to drive through an area with no lights and a planted pine forest on the way...My head was on a SWIVEL on the way home after seeing that at the theater!

The second was the constant warning that we were headed for another ice age...my how times have changed!

Third was going to the doctor...he was old school, and figured everyone needed a shot when they showed up. I would wait in the parking lot and catch lizards when it was my sister that had to go...just in case he saw me and decided to shoot me up with some sugar water or something.

Yell-X

Jun 27, 2018
St. Petersburg
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Creature Feature with Doctor Paul Bearer Saturday afternoons on channel 44…….I am having flash backs to a time when things were a bit simpler.

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll sit and watch The Treasure of the Sierra Madre every time it comes on the TV. There was one Charlton Heston movie I so enjoyed and it was "The Mother Lode"

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre was made in 1948
Fred Dobbs and Bob Curtin, two Americans searching for work in Mexico, convince an old prospector to help them mine for gold in the Sierra Madre Mountains

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
As a kid, I watched a late night movie about a group hunting a treasure either in the Grand Canyon, or some U.S. desert...

This would have been around the late 70s or very early 80s, which means the movie was most likely from the 70s. I remember parts of it, but not sure about everything. It started out laying out the history of the treasure from Central or South America, with natives fighting each other (then presumably the Spanish) over the treasure...then...this is where my memory fades...it was either a narrative about the Spanish taking it into what is now the U.S., or...a narrative about a group hunting it at some point after. There was definitely a documentary part at the end about a group retracing the steps of the earlier group, because I remember them showing and old rusty iron ring driven into the side of a rock cliff that they presented as being used by the previous group.

I'm just not sure if it was all a documentary or just the beginning and end, with a dramatized middle....or a pseudo documentary like "Boggy Creek".

I thought that I had found it with "Seven Cities of Gold" from 1955, as it started very similar, but just didn't seem to fit...I'll admit that I didn't watch much of it after the beginning, but it seemed more dated than the movie I remember...the documentary part at then end just screamed "1970s". If the 1955 movie had a documentary part at the end...maybe that was it...I just don't think so.

Anyone else remember this obscure film?

I usually have pretty good "Google-Fu", but not with this one!

Gidday Jon

Ya must be having the same memory twister as me! I saw a movie to in 1970's about a treasure where two groups was fighting over a lost treasure cave one Mexican rebels or Bandits and group of Americans. Its was some set in 1970's in the desert ether in Arizona or new Mexico or Mexico? I cannot renmember the name of movie? Or the actors the only bit I remember they had to be lowered down a shaft on ropes and there was small side tunnels off the the main shaft where skeletons was lying with treasure around them. I think of the characters dies falling down shafting trying haul himself up carrying too much gold? It was I think a TV movie not a doco but for live of me I just cannot remember? But hey that was getting close to 50 years ago. I have been trying to remember the name for nearly 50 years and still cannot come up with it?

I got the feeling when I read your post it was the same one?

Crow

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crow was the name of the movie "Treasure of Tayopa" ? 1974 release

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions