What kind of snake is this?

TjTreasures

Sep 23, 2018
Missouri
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy! Sorry I didn’t know what forum to put this in, but my husband found this snake and we are curious to which kind it is? I said copperhead ( because I’m scared of snakes) but he said it’s not a poisonous snake. We release it if it’s non poisonous but if it is a baby copper I have small kiddos and a small dog so we have to give it mercy. Can anyone tell by the pictures what kind it is?
Thanks so much [emoji216][emoji120]🏼🤗 ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1538701697.163948.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1538701716.982155.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1538701737.601408.jpg

gheenoe78

Nov 21, 2014
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Non poisonous. The good kind that eats mice and keeps away bad snakes. Looks like a bullsnake.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TjTreasures

Sep 23, 2018
Missouri
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much everyone! Y’all answer so fast, we are gunna let him go back into the wood pile. :-)
Now I have to tell my hubby he was right.... I was wrong lol
I’m glad it’s a good snake [emoji216] and thanks again! Everyone have a glorious night 🤗[emoji120]🏼

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Non poisonous. The good kind that eats mice and keeps away bad snakes. Looks like a bullsnake.

I agree. I've seen several copperheads in my day, and that isn't one. Definitely non-venomous. Set it free!

OP
OP
T

TjTreasures

Sep 23, 2018
Missouri
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We just let it go back into the wood pile TomW244 :)
I do like to keep the good snakes and black snakes to keep the poisonous snakes away, plus hopefully it will take care of the moles lol [emoji4]
Thank you for the fast response :-)

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
make a belt out of it lol kidding

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Iberville Parish, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 / Garrett AT Max /
Garrett Pro Pointer / Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its Literally a Brown Snake.
They dont get much bigger than that.
They mostly eat bugs,worms, crickets and such, and are commonly found in Gardens around the house.
Brown Snake

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
You really do want that one around! Glad you let him go!

Kace

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_5342.JPG

This is a pic of 3 copper heads I found the other day. Your snake is a good one to have around.

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a young Kingsnake. Maybe a Prairie or a Kansas Kingsnake.

Bama Billy

Apr 2, 2018
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The copperhead is one evil looking fellow, when you see one you’ll instantly think “he’s poisonous”

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Copperheads for sure have a bad disposition.

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeh! They'll chase you alright!

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The copperhead is one evil looking fellow, when you see one you’ll instantly think “he’s poisonous”

isn't it crazy how instinct can take over like that? first time i saw one when i was down south(from the north so never saw anything like it before) I KNEW that I was not to mess with that guy like i could gardner snakes up by me.

Clay Slayer

Jan 4, 2011
Cajun Country
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A reliable method (if you are close enough) is to look at their eyes. Three of the four venomous snake species in the continental US will have slit pupils, these are all in the pit viper family. These are the Rattlesnake, Cottonmouth (Water Moccasin) and the Copperhead. The only venomous species you may come across in the wild in the US with round pupils, not a pit viper, is the Coral Snake. The Coral has a very strong toxin, but are not aggressive at all and prefer to keep out of sight. Usually when someone is bit by a Coral that person mistakenly tried to handle it thinking it was a Scarlet King.

There are of course venomous snakes in other parts of the world with round pupils like the Mambas and Cobras, but I'm just concerned with what I might run across here in the US.

BUT, just because a snake is not venomous, does not mean it won't try and bite you. Non-venomous snakes don't have fangs, but many species do have rows of tiny, sharp, little teeth and usually if they get a hold of you, they don't want to let go and you have to open its jaw and remove it with your other hand. Kind of like those little green lizards you played with as a kid in your yard would do, but just with a little more ouch! Just treat the little rows of puncture marks with a topical triple-antibiotic as soon as you can and you should be just fine. Common Water snakes and Spotted Kings are two snakes that I know are very defensive in the wild (don't really like to be handled) and will bite you even though they are not venomous.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the craziest things I've ever seen re snakes. My wife's folks are from Asheville. When we used to go there on vacation her dad and I would spend a few days fishing in the Cherokee reservation. The water was crystal clear and I'd see these snakes crawling along the bottom eating fish guts. They were positively pit vipers and I could tell they had a pattern on their back but couldn't determine the color. I never saw one come to the surface to breath but had them crawl right up to the rock I was standing on which made me pretty apprehensive. I'd usually step over to the next rock and try and plan my escape route. I would definitely never mess with or try and handle one because I thought they were probably copperheads.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
10-8aa.jpg Glad you released it. I sent that pic to my son, big time published herpetologist (haha) and I'll try to translate all the latin terms he gives me to regular English. A little about venomous US snakes, here's a pic of one you never hear much about. This is the Texas night snake. It's common to the SW US, has the elliptical pupils, and is mildly venomous. It's a rear-fanged snake, as the fangs are at the back of the jaw. It's not much of a threat to humans, but will make you wonder if you ever find one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread