Gotta love shrimp and grits

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me, it was Malt-O-Meal, which I guess is basically the same as cream of wheat, but when I was a kid I could tell the difference and I hated when someone served cream of wheat. I bought both a few years ago to try them again....now I like the cream of wheat.

I like grits but I've never had them authentic...deep south. I usually just put butter and sugar in them.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For me, it was Malt-O-Meal, which I guess is basically the same as cream of wheat, but when I was a kid I could tell the difference and I hated when someone served cream of wheat. I bought both a few years ago to try them again....now I like the cream of wheat.

I like grits but I've never had them authentic...deep south. I usually just put butter and sugar in them.

Sugar!!!!! No decent Southern boy would EVER put sugar on his grits! Lol

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh that is delicious looking!!! I would kill for some boudin:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh that is delicious looking!!! I would kill for some boudin:icon_thumleft:

Omg!! Lol take a guess what I had for breakfast this morning Boudin and scrambled eggs, toast and jelly. That’s sweet with that spice and eggs Brother it doesn’t get any better and we got the best Boudin in town over here. It also works good for lunch or dinner lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Omg!! Lol take a guess what I had for breakfast this morning 2 BIG links of Boudin, scrambled eggs, toast and jelly. That’s sweet with that spice and eggs Brother it doesn’t get any better and we got the best Boudin in town over here.

oh man I want more now

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nuthin' but butter,[ salt & pepper in my grits for this Southern boy.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
With a Rebel Yell.......he cried more, more, more.........grits that is.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nuthin' but butter,[ salt & pepper in my grits for this Southern boy.

You ain’t lying there. But in my house my queen will break out a special occasion. And if you have a never had my wife’s shrimp and grits you don’t know what you’re missing. With some fresh French bread it’s over.

Hey devildog you ever heard sugar in your grits? I’ve heard of sugar in your britches lol

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No sir, I have Never, Ever heard of either sugar in my grits, or my britches. A word of caution to young southern men joining the Marine Corps: Never refer to your trousers to your Drill Instructor as "britches".

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm trying to image a universe that doesn't have shrimp and grits. Of course, we could spend all day whining and moaning about the best recipe for it but, at the end of the day, it's all good. I like mine with coarse ground grits that you have to cook for 40 minutes. I make them with some apple wood smoked bacon, cream, and a little sharp Cheddar cheese (not too much ... just enough for flavor). I tend to cook the shrimp head-on but remove them before serving to my more squeamish guests. A little white wine with some leftover bacon grease is a great way to cook the shrimp.

I know what I'm having for supper tomorrow night. Thanks for the menu help.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No sir, I have Never, Ever heard of either sugar in my grits, or my britches. A word of caution to young southern men joining the Marine Corps: Never refer to your trousers to your Drill Instructor as "britches".

“Sugar in your britches” meant he might be a little funny if you know what I mean.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm trying to image a universe that doesn't have shrimp and grits. Of course, we could spend all day whining and moaning about the best recipe for it but, at the end of the day, it's all good. I like mine with coarse ground grits that you have to cook for 40 minutes. I make them with some apple wood smoked bacon, cream, and a little sharp Cheddar cheese (not too much ... just enough for flavor). I tend to cook the shrimp head-on but remove them before serving to my more squeamish guests. A little white wine with some leftover bacon grease is a great way to cook the shrimp.

I know what I'm having for supper tomorrow night. Thanks for the menu help.

Hey that sounds awesome and don’t think we’re not to proud to try something new. If it’s good it’s good, if it’s better even better. No shame in our game.

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey that sounds awesome and don’t think we’re not to proud to try something new. If it’s good it’s good, if it’s better even better. No shame in our game.

Agreed! While I normally use bacon in my shrimp and grits, I’ve also included a very small amount of very, very thinly sliced country ham. Again, the pan drippings can be deglazed with a little white wine to cook the shrimp and then reduce to a slap-your-Momma good sauce.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agreed! While I normally use bacon in my shrimp and grits, I’ve also included a very small amount of very, very thinly sliced country ham. Again, the pan drippings can be deglazed with a little white wine to cook the shrimp and then reduce to a slap-your-Momma good sauce.

Anything that makes me slap-my-momma is worth exploring. Down here Chisesi’s ham is naturally New Orleans the best. All ready screen shoted your post to the wife’s phone....which she knows means order up real soon.

Lol she texted me back, “I’m down”.
Love that women.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe the reason you are no longer seeing any of the big crayfish (we call them crawdads) anymore is because of Raccoons. Crayfish is one of their main staples and it is easier for them to catch the big ones versus the small ones.

Yeah, on the bars on the creek out at the land, I find 'coon turds of nothing but crawdad shells all over the place. That's gotta be hell on the emerods!

Last edited:

USMC Reaper

May 23, 2015
Abbeville, S.C.
Detector(s) used
MineLab CTX 3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wife just had shrimp and cheese grits with Boudin for lunch yesterday. She loves that being an Alabama Belle. I was born and raised in Brooklyn, NY so it’s cream of wheat with milk and sugar for me.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those Shrimp & grits look yummy .But then again I never met a shrimp I didn't like :) 017.JPG

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those Shrimp & grits look yummy .But then again I never met a shrimp I didn't like :) View attachment 1652162

Man ain’t that the truth even just a broiled shrimp. Im fortunate that my nephew is a Captain and has a business and he selects me some shrimp once a month and drops some off. Not many people know this about New Orleanian but if we don’t eat shrimp at least once a month we’ll die.

Last edited:

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man ain’t that the truth even just a broiled shrimp. Im fortunate that my nephew is a Captain and has a business and he selects me some shrimp once a month and drops some off. Not many people know this about New Orleanian but if we don’t eat shrimp at least once a month we’ll die.

001.JPG
Oh ya :) Your making me hungry.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wife just had shrimp and cheese grits with Boudin for lunch yesterday. She loves that being an Alabama Belle. I was born and raised in Brooklyn, NY so it’s cream of wheat with milk and sugar for me.

Reaper there is nothing and I mean nothing like Boudin and eggs in the morning. So you married one of our Southern Belle Queens.... Smart man:)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread