Hello, newby here

Silvertip

Sep 22, 2007
Boise, Idaho
Just decided to add metal detecting to my list of hobbies during my retirement. Glad I found this site. Been looking at the Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II at Cabelas for a starter unit. I live in an area rich with ghost towns and old western history although I do not have my hopes set too high. Just a another good reason to go camping and get outdoors. But an occasional coin, etc certainly wouldn't hurt my feelings. :)

I plan on doing a lot of reading here to "learn from the pros".

Thanks

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome watch out for my brother in law hes on the prowl with his new md. :D aa

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack
just my opinion here....

i beleive that one should buy products from a company whose livelihood depends solely on that type of product. take for example sony. if sony builds a lousy cordless phone line it wont matter too much because their tv's may pickup the financial slack. now take a look at a company like nikon. if nikon starts building lousy cameras, guess whos out of business!

with that being said, bounty hunter is owned by a parent company that owns several metal detector companies. if bounty hunter doesnt do too well, fisher (which just got bought up) might pickup the slack. if you have the budget for it, i'd steer away from bounty hunter and look at whites, minelab, garrett or tesoro.

tesoro has some very affordable detectors available. they are made in USA and have a lifetime warranty. some tesoro's dont have as many bells and whistles and some dont even have displays. you rely solely on tones to figure out what you've found. some folks (myself included) find it more relaxing to just listen attentively to the sounds it makes than be looking at a display all the time.

before you spend your money see if theres any detectorist's in your area and see if they'll let you spend a little bit of time with their machines. there's a section on this board that's setup by state, post something up on there and see if someone steps up and meets up with you.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Do what you gotta do... I've used Bounty Hunters exclusively since the 1970s and have a garage full of stuff to prove they work just fine. Keep an open mind - EVERY manufacturer makes quality products...

This place, like the last post, if choke full of great advice!!

aa is smart about detecting (that's what he tell us anyway) so he'll be full of good advise too!

Good luck, and welcome to TreasureNet!

TORPEDOX

Aug 23, 2007
Payette Id.
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S MXT
aa battery said:
Welcome watch out for my brother in law hes on the prowl with his new md. :D aa
yea i'm out here, but don't believe anything he says about me. if you want the truth you need to ask AA's wife I kinda think she may have an ok opinion of me,,,,,,,maybe :-\
P.S. welcome to the hobby...... and I love my new whites MXT. Also, a lot can be said for buying a Quality Detector from a local distributer who knows and cares about the machines they sell. you'll get better support and advice than youll ever get from a catalog.

doozis

Jul 31, 2007
Virginia
Welcome to tnet Silvertip :)
What ever detector you buy , just be patient and spend as
much time as you can with it. It's sorta like driving a car for
the first time , it can seem a bit overwhelming at first but the
more you use it the more second nature many things about its
operation become.
You'll be diggin the good stuff before ya know it ;)
Happy hunting and keep us posted on your progress !

Doozis

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet and the hobby or addiction to many.

There are many good detectors out there and then there are the cheap China jobs. For starting out you could get a cheaper model like the BH Sharp Shooter to see if you really like the hobby and maybe upgrade later if you feel the need. Many have enough fun with the lower priced detectors and collect a lot of goodies with them. Some also like to drive Caddys though a Japanese car might get them to the same place.

It's important to read all you can on this hobby and visit all the manufactures websites. Cabala's is a great place to buy sporting goods, but for metal detecting you will get better service from a place that sells mainly metal detectors. You may give Tony a visit or call for advice. He's helped many get their first or tenth detector. tcmetaldetectors.com

Good Luck,
Sandman

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
i would look at the ace 250 for your first detector, i have nothing against the BH's, had a couple, but if you like it, the 250's really hold their value for resale, if you decied to move into a more advanced model. or sell if you dont like metal detecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread