sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far, I've had no problems detecting, but years ago, a friend and I were walking the creek looking for bottles. We were close to the bridge and there were several kids watching from above, asking what we were doing, then as we were about to walk under them, they started spitting. Yeah, piss me off. There are always plenty of modern beer bottles around. I started firing them at the brats like snowballs on Elf. My buddy was just standing there slackjawed, but the little sh!ts hauled ass. Don't know if I hit any of them, but you could hear plenty of glass smashing on the pavement. Just hope I didn't grab a rare pontiled ale by mistake in the heat of the moment!

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is why I stay in the woods and fields when hunting, I had my share of being bugged in the 1970s ,80s and 90s. But about the last 20 yrs I like the peace and quite in the sticks, hunting long lost cellar holes .

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
That is why I stay in the woods and fields when hunting, I had my share of being bugged in the 1970s ,80s and 90s. But about the last 20 yrs I like the peace and quite in the sticks, hunting long lost cellar holes .

me and you both i ain't never hunting a park were i live to many homeless people. and drug heads around

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
My favorite one happened a few years ago. I was working the lot next to a friend's house. The house on this particular lot burned down a few years earlier.
I was working the front yard area and a dude was walking down the street and yelled at me "finding any gold" and was laughing at me. I told him "not today"
He kept jabbing me a little and once he quit and turned his head my next signal was going to be what I thought to be a big pull tab and instead a good sized gold ring popped up. Ever since then I hope that folks walk by and ask me the same question...

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cute. But don't count on that working. You can be there. But not necessarily dig, disturb or remove anything.

Your taxes paid for the police cruisers as well. But they frown on it when you try and drive one off.

Or if you walk into a county courtroom in session and say you want to drill a hole in the wall and look for copper. Won't fly.

Been working for 40+ years of detecting. Of course I cover my tracks by going during off hours, always filling my holes and having a great relationship with the local parks dept ground crew and boss as well as the building and grounds superintendent of the local school district. Only cops I usually interact with are the ones wondering if I found anything good. LOL!

PirateLabs

Feb 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
me and you both i ain't never hunting a park were i live to many homeless people. and drug heads around

Yes, needles are the new pull tabs. Soon we will see detector companies bragging that their new machines will discriminate and block needles so you will not have to dig them. The discrimination settings will be: Bottle caps, pull tabs, needles. God help us.

Bill

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
On rare occasion while detecting, the "public" may find us to be a sort of amusement I guess. During this year three instances come to mine, a couple of people walking by going "beep beep beep beep" while acting like robots swinging a coil. Another time when two women with two boys walked by, and the boys wanted to try out the detector and three times tried to snatch it out of my hand, and the mothers were smiling thinking it was cute, (the boys being about 8 to 10 yrs. old) and when I told them I'd be more then happy to let their boys "play" with it, if they had a $1000.00 deposit to hand over first, for that's how much this machine cost, they stopped smiling and gathered up the boys and left, and the couple who would toss a nickel about 6' in front of me, expecting me to swing the coil over and then dive for it, they seemed disappointed when I said No Thanks, I already have a few as I stepped on it and kept going.....Any one else?

Never had anyone be rude or even close to rude to me. Often they would ask if I found anything good. Some would stop and ask good questions like they really wanted to know the answers. Most people just smile and walk by. Kids love to ask good questions, so I usually give them a demo with a quarter and pull tab and let them hear the difference.

but I am in the south where people are not as rude as other areas of the country for the most part.

JoeVal

Oct 28, 2018
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 & 800
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Bounty Hunter Tracker Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m retired, so I’m out when other retirees are out in the parks and public areas. Haven’t had a problem yet, but I carry concealed with my 9mm millennium Pro with +P hollow points...just in case! I always detect with my 13 friends.

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Iberville Parish, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 / Garrett AT Max /
Garrett Pro Pointer / Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, needles are the new pull tabs. Soon we will see detector companies bragging that their new machines will discriminate and block needles so you will not have to dig them. The discrimination settings will be: Bottle caps, pull tabs, needles. God help us.

Bill

Speaking of which, probably need to be VERY CAREFUL not to get stuck while reaching in the hole....

Holyground

May 17, 2014
Not in the can
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT GOLD, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No one ever messes with me when I detect, but then I have a Nickle .41 Mag. with an 8 inch barrel in a shoulder holster, out in front of God and everyone. You know how gun shy the Brainwashed Pleebs are these days. It also helps that I look a lot like a Crazy B@st@rd too. My family, we ain't known for being real purdy.

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Over the years I've had MANY instances of having to listen to people's dumb or rude comments. There's always going to be jerks and we have to deal with some of them.
A few examples...……..one time while detecting a school yard, a father and son walk by us and the kid asks his father what we were doing and the reply LOUD enough for us to hear was: They're STEALING the kids lunch money. Another time we're detecting and a guy walking his dog approaches us and asks if WE could move to another part of the field because his dog was afraid of our "WANDS". Gee buddy, how about if YOU move? Detecting alone one time a guy walks by me and as he's walking he asks if I'm looking for money for my next meal. He got to me and I replied No, I've lost the key to your wife's bedroom and I'm looking for it.

Nick79

Jan 28, 2018
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nothing here, but I also show kids and people when they seem interested and if I find clad while showing kids I give it to them. I also have given kids toys I've found while out there, cars, costume jewellery.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Nothing here, but I also show kids and people when they seem interested and if I find clad while showing kids I give it to them. I also have given kids toys I've found while out there, cars, costume jewellery.

I do the same.

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
ON the cute side, there were this mother daughter duo walking by and the daughter, who is about 3 or 4 years old says, "Mommy, why is that man vacuuming the grass?"

Nick79

Jan 28, 2018
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ON the cute side, there were this mother daughter duo walking by and the daughter, who is about 3 or 4 years old says, "Mommy, why is that man vacuuming the grass?"
Hahaha! Kids say the funniest things. I sell plants and a guy bought a dormant hosta, the kid says, "dad, why did you buy a can of dirt?!"

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like s few others have said, I hunt 99% fields, woods and old permissions out of the city limits. When I first started out, I hunted some parks and schools, never had much trouble...just the "finding buried treasure?" line...yawn. The cows and hay bales don't say much...Ddf.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
I am usually visibly well armed when detecting and for some reason, folks leave me alone. I did have one moron tell me that my gun had better be registered and I better have a permit for it or I was in big trouble. He had no clue that in my state, there is no such thing as a "registered" gun and no such thing as a gun "permit" either. We do have a concealed carry license, which I have had for 20 years, but nothing is required to open carry which I was doing as I usually do.

Bill

One has to be a moron to tell a person who is armed that they better be in compliance with the law or they will be "in big trouble". There are plenty of places in the U.S. where such a stupid approach would wind up with the person having "a cap busted in their a$$". You've really got to wonder.
HH
dts

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread