What kind of West Coast succulent plant is this?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spotted on the Pacific Coast just below San Francisco. IMG_1399.jpg

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. It was growing right on the San Andreas fault in a park.

holepuncher

Oct 5, 2014
Amboy Wa.
Detector(s) used
AT Pro. Equinox.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Look in the center of all the get on and off ramps in so ca that is their grass.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is an ice plant it has red or yellow flowers when it blooms Google ice plant California you can find it there.They use it to help with stabilizing the cliffs on the coast to help with the erosion.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crassula sp? Possibly non-native. Looks like a Crassula though. I’m not good with succulents. This site may help:

https://calscape.org/loc-California/cat-Succulents/ord-species/vw-list?view_style=list

Did some looking into ice plant, as azdirtdigger suggested... could be: Carpobrotus edulis. It’s an invasive exotic species in California.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck
Let me add also. It was used a lot on the embankments of overpasses etc from Orange county south to hold soil preventing erosion. Worked pretty good for firebreak around structures. Forget walking on it or trying to stop with two tires on it! For years you could see the skid marks on the SB side of the Bristol overpass of the 405 Fwy. from us attempting this. Has pretty little yellow flowers.

Holyground

May 17, 2014
Not in the can
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT GOLD, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ice Plant. Serious fun for kids because it attracts lizards, snakes, bugs, and bees. I used to take my little brother in it, catch bees by the wings, then apply the stinger to his tender flesh. I would revel in his horrendous screams of agony. I won't tell you what I did with the snakes.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ice Plant. Serious fun for kids because it attracts lizards, snakes, bugs, and bees. I used to take my little brother in it, catch bees by the wings, then apply the stinger to his tender flesh. I would revel in his horrendous screams of agony. I won't tell you what I did with the snakes.

Brutal! Reminds me of all the messed up stuff my brother and I did to each other.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread