Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dad told me about a phone booth near his house that was torn out around 1980. He went to look at the disturbed dirt and would up eyeballing (probably combed around with fingers too) around 20 silver dimes plus plenty of other coins. Remarkable for an eyeballed haul "from the wild".

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
OLD cemetery parking areas. Especially Catholic cemeteries. Not the actual cemetery....But the old ones where the attendees came by wagon and the deceased's casket was carried on a bier to their grave site from the parking area. If there's a church next to it or across the road where the service was or where folks parked, that's a great area to search too.

You'll find a lot of silver coins, jewelry, medallions and broken rosaries there.

I like the old fair ground and revival sites too.

Kace

Clay Slayer

Jan 4, 2011
Cajun Country
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I enjoy aerial mapping so I use Google Earth and it's "Back in Time" feature to find old drive-in theaters and other things.

Here are a couple of images, 1998 and present, of a demolished twin drive-in from the 60's. You can still make out the parking rows and concession in the '98 black & white image. I've hunted it recently where there is still some grassy areas near the long-gone concession stand and found a good bit of clad going back to the 40's.

I believe if you click on the photos they will enlarge.

North of Town drive-in 1998.jpg

North of Town drive-in TODAY.jpg

Here's another one in the middle of town. Using the graveyard in the NE corner as a reference I was able to find old clad and a little silver in that tree-filled grass strip behind the current theater. It was also very near the original concession. This original photo was an aerial taken from a plane back in the 50's and is just a thumbnail so it can't be enlarged.

Showtown Twin drive-in.jpg

Showtown Twin drive-in TODAY.jpg

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I did not read all of the posts but believe that locations where Carnival and Fairground Rides were set up would be most productive for newer coins and if they have used the same locations for many years, then there is the possibility of finding some older coins. The Carnival and Fairground Rides that turned folks upside down many times are the best. When I stayed the Summer with my Sister and Brother-In-Law in Newport, Rhode Island back in 1962 or 1963, they had a Carnival set up at King's Beach/Park and we used to find all kinds of change and even currency laying on top of the grass during the times when the Carnival was open, under and around these types of rides. The Carnies would do their best to run us off when we would search around the rides for money as they would do the same each night after closing and each day before opening and also once the Carnival broke down to leave. We got to play a lot of games and go on a lot of rides from the money we found around and under the rides.

Last edited:

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What’s a phone booth?

It's one of those 3' x 3' squares that you try to put 15 Hippi's in. They are now Antiques.
Marvin

Places to hunt.---------------old train station spots.

Last edited:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I stopped to a new low today....
I fished a dime out of a urinal.
Ahhh.... not really a new low, I acquired a handful of pennies the same way a few years ago.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coins are like gold. They are where you find them. I like crawl holes to houses. Practically have to stand on your head to get in there.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many years ago I was hitting the old Trail Drive In in Sarasota and it was hunted to death but always gave up old silver but one day I decided to hunt where the entry pay booth was and low and behold, I found 5 mercs,3 rosier and 2 silver washingtons.This was in about 3 inches of dirt that lay on top of the original concrete drive. Fortunately no rebar in the concrete, and it seemed it was not ever searched.

holepuncher

Oct 5, 2014
Amboy Wa.
Detector(s) used
AT Pro. Equinox.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I stopped to a new low today....
I fished a dime out of a urinal.
Ahhh.... not really a new low, I acquired a handful of pennies the same way a few years ago.

I think a like would say I agree with doing this. Just can't bring myself to do either. Sorry

EdHartzel

Jun 12, 2018
Bucks County PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett GTI 2500, JW Fisher Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A few members already touched on this but- old picnic areas. My father told me about a picnic spot everyone would go to after church in the 1930s. Found it with great results! Pre 1950s coins outnumbered post 4:1.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
A few members already touched on this but- old picnic areas. My father told me about a picnic spot everyone would go to after church in the 1930s. Found it with great results! Pre 1950s coins outnumbered post 4:1.
Dug my first Morgan dollar at a picnic area behind a church, great spot.

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Old Board Walks!

This one I am looking forward to doing.

Ghost Towns of Northern BC 3.jpg

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Mackaydon I think is going to be very helpful :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread