Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All , I would not this to happen to another person in our hobbie .About 3 years a metal detectorist found ancient roman coin on the bank of a river in a rural area.The person who made the find posted the coin on another forum . Well this started a war . This person was attacked all over social media. You easily see why this could happen .Finding ancient roman coins on Australian farms. No too many people would believe such a thing . Also at this time the finder became a dealer for EU made metal detectors . Just a man starting a new shop so he make a living.
His reputation and his livelyhood was doomed before long. Left penny less and owing huge a mounts of money..Then more nasty vile attackes continued.All over the local news. All those persons including the person attacked and the many that did the attacking are known to me. Few were close friends of mine.Because the shop owner lived in same town as me and never wronged me any way. I made a decision not to get involved in this matter. Gee suddenly I was on the outer .Thats right . Not one them can near me again.No hostile words were ever said to me just a polite dumping. Well I felt a bit shattered by this and decided to go my own way. About 7 months a go my brother in law gave some WW1 documents .The document was an account written by an Australian Officer who served in the Middle East . The 4000 word document contains the names of anicent ruins from Egypt to Beersheba. Many of these anicents were search for ancient coins and relics by the ANZACS. The account talks of many hundred of troops find large amounts. At one site the word thousands is clearly used .Title Sourenir Hunting Collecting Currios In The Firing Line.Greek , Roman ,and even a Crusaders Fort was mentioned. When WW 1 ended a lot of men that came there was not enough jobs.So the government started the Soldier Settler Program . Service were give farm land at cost price payable without interest. Thousands of these grants were given.The data base came down loaded off the net with no restriction. A lot of these land holding just so happen to be in the area where the Ancient Roman Coin was found. OMG Everyone who attacked the finder were very wrong .Some still make nasty remarks about this occurrence very now again.Well I tried to tell one person that was involved in this matter and he just changed the subject.The document has a copyright on it and it would be in my best interest to publish it on the net. Also the document contain a nasty piece of history looting battlefeild dead. Including their own dead was not Australians but another country which I am not going to name.Just a bit to sensitive .It is forbidden to snitch on matters of nature in full where I come from. So I am damed if do and I damed if I donot.Could give a man the justice and respect that was taken away from him. He has disappeared off the face of the earth and his present location in unknown.If I knew I could secretly posted the documemt to him. I am still torn and shattered by the whole subject. I am not looking for pity or support this a burden that i have take care off.Even our hobbie life can be a real ***** Thanks for reading .Sorry about the spelling and grammar this a every hard thing for to write under pressure. Opinions are welcome TP

OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All , I would not this to happen to another person in our hobbie .About 3 years a metal detectorist found ancient roman coin on the bank of a river in a rural area.The person who made the find posted the coin on another forum . Well this started a war . This person was attacked all over social media. You easily see why this could happen .Finding ancient roman coins on Australian farms. No too many people would believe such a thing . Also at this time the finder became a dealer for EU made metal detectors . Just a man starting a new shop so he make a living.
His reputation and his livelyhood was doomed before long. Left penny less and owing huge a mounts of money..Then more nasty vile attackes continued.All over the local news. All those persons including the person attacked and the many that did the attacking are known to me. Few were close friends of mine.Because the shop owner lived in same town as me and never wronged me any way. I made a decision not to get involved in this matter. Gee suddenly I was on the outer .Thats right . Not one them can near me again.No hostile words were ever said to me just a polite dumping. Well I felt a bit shattered by this and decided to go my own way. About 7 months a go my brother in law gave some WW1 documents .The document was an account written by an Australian Officer who served in the Middle East . The 4000 word document contains the names of anicent ruins from Egypt to Beersheba. Many of these anicents were search for ancient coins and relics by the ANZACS. The account talks of many hundred of troops find large amounts. At one site the word thousands is clearly used .Title Sourenir Hunting Collecting Currios In The Firing Line.Greek , Roman ,and even a Crusaders Fort was mentioned. When WW 1 ended a lot of men that came there was not enough jobs.So the government started the Soldier Settler Program . Service were give farm land at cost price payable without interest. Thousands of these grants were given.The data base came down loaded off the net with no restriction. A lot of these land holding just so happen to be in the area where the Ancient Roman Coin was found. OMG Everyone who attacked the finder were very wrong .Some still make nasty remarks about this occurrence very now again.Well I tried to tell one person that was involved in this matter and he just changed the subject.The document has a copyright on it and it would be in my best interest to publish it on the net. Also the document contain a nasty piece of history looting battlefeild dead. Including their own dead was not Australians but another country which I am not going to name.Just a bit to sensitive .It is forbidden to snitch on matters of nature in full where I come from. So I am damed if do and I damed if I donot.Could give a man the justice and respect that was taken away from him. He has disappeared off the face of the earth and his present location in unknown.If I knew I could secretly posted the documemt to him. I am still torn and shattered by the whole subject. I am not looking for pity or support this a burden that i have take care off.Even our hobbie life can be a real ***** Thanks for reading .Sorry about the spelling and grammar this a every hard thing for to write under pressure. Opinions are welcome TP

Sorry I just cannot go through and correct this post I am a bit scambled in the mind over the whole matter

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's perfectly well-known that ancient coin and artifact souvenirs have been lost by the thousands in locations far from the ancient origins of the items. I myself lost an ancient Greek coin at school (in Maryland) in 1st grade. If someone were to detect the coin it wouldn't mean that the Greeks settled Maryland, and it didn't sound like this poor guy was claiming that the Romans settled Australia. Several people here have detected ancient coins in the USA, and I've read that others found bizarre medieval or ancient items on the coast or along waterways, but it was determined that the items were transported from England where the ancient artifact-saturated Thames river sediments were dug up and used as ballast on empty ships heading here to buy American goods/commodities, which was then dumped. People have collected ancient coins academically since at least the 17th century, and many more people have picked up a few as interesting curiosities to show friends and family.

It sounds like the attackers of the poor guy are a bunch of ignorant rubes casting judgments without possessing even the slightest knowledge about what they're talking about. It's perfectly normal for people to detect ancient coins lost in the relatively recent past. Just like detecting foreign coins from far-away, all it means is someone lost it where it was dug.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This account seems a bit extreme, and strange. I can't imagine people reacting in the way you describe, for finding a foreign, or ancient coin. The only way their reaction would make sense is if this friend of yours claimed the find to be proof the Romans were in Australia. I don't doubt your story, I just can't see anyone caring that much about someone finding a coin.

I found an Australian silver Florin here on my property in Georgetown SC, but it did not mean that Australians lived here. Obviously a drop by someone who had been there, or was gifted the coin, or acquired it some other way. How it actually happened is speculation.

Good luck to you and yours.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also lost a nice Roman silvered follis of Maximian (respectable 10 gram coin), in my yard I believe, here in Wyoming. If I don't wind up finding it and someone else detects it in the future, again it doesn't mean that the Romans were hunting Buffalo in the high-plains of Wyoming, only that some goofball drank a few too many beers to responsibly handle his collection, lol.

OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All this is not a dramatic account. Ask American Gold Detectorist Steve Herschbach what happened to him when did a on line review on a Australian site in Nokta Promotion. Email him be my guest. Unless my eyesight is really poor i did see a rather savage attack .TP

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread