Just got my first metal detector!

QuartermasterD

May 17, 2018
Gainesville, FL
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well... I guess this will be how it officially started. My girlfriend surprised me over the weekend with an early Christmas gift - a Bounty Hunter Tracker 4. It wasn't very expensive, but it's certainly the most valuable one I'll ever own now. I guess I've just been holding out until I could afford a professional level detector, so it was a perfect opportunity for her. And of course she knew I wanted one, because our beach trips usually include lectures on the local history and several "isn't it just crazy that we could be walking on top of that right now?"

Any advice on when/where/how to use this detector? I live in Gainesville now and frequent St. Augustine. Do I need a digging tool of some sort? Any rules I'm probably not aware of?

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello,

Welcome to the best hobby in the world!

IHMO: You need to read the manual several times, then with machine in hand, go through menus and settings to gain familiarity. Watch some YouTube videos of the machine in action and of course get out and practice. I would go to somewhere "easy" to hunt like a playground or semi-clean park to learn how the machine operates in the field. Dig everything for a while to learn what objects sound like and end up being.

You must learn proper target retrieval techniques...again YouTube may have some good videos or a local club or friend can show you the way. Become a master at pinpointing with your machine...makes recovery much easier.

You will need a small hand digger for places that people can watch you, sensitive areas and groomed lawns (NO shovels). You can use shovels in the woods, farm fields or areas that are not groomed.

I suggest a pin pointer to aid you in target recovery.

The keys are; Find the target, Recover the target and LEAVE no trace of you being there.

If you should have any specific questions, please feel free to PM me.

Good Luck and Happy hunting

Doc

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome. This is a great hobby and can be addictive. Good way to start. My son started with an Ace 250 and on many occasions out hunted me with me using a detector that cost 3x that his cost. It is the operator not the detector.
stick around this forum and you will learn plus learning from some youtube videos. There are some very smart guys on this forum and they really know their stuff and always are inclined to share and answer questions. Being from Gainsville you can visit the 1715 fleet treasure coast from time to time on the east coast. 10 or 11 wrecks not far off shore and from time to time gold and silver washes up or is uncovered on the beach were beach combers have actually recovered some nice stuff. Best time to go is after a pretty good tropical storm that makes some nice cuts on the beach. But get there early there is quite a bit of competition during those times.

HH

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will love this hobby and be hooked before you know it hide those gold rings

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also welcome from Mi Tommy

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Salt in the sand can mess with the metal detector...so dig almost everything - of course, after guessing what the target is....
Learn the all the tricks it can do, and its limits
I assume the machine has pre-set ground balance, so do the best you can......yet notice that Time just flies by,
and all your cares in the world are somehow, not there - while metal detecting...!
WARNING! Metal Detecting is ADDICTIVE!

Renaebri

Apr 11, 2018
florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Tracker IV, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome! That's a really good detector to start with, I only recently got an at pro but I still prefer the bounty tracker iv sometimes lol. Compared to the at pro, the bounty hunter discriminates so much junk out, but still finds good stuff. You should get some headphones for the beach!

Another tip for the beach is dig everything, all metal, and lower the sensitivity if it's making false signals because of the salt. Might just be where I go but it's hard for me to find any signals. Also while your sweeping the coil, if you accidentally hit the sand at the end of the sweep it might false signal.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Q

QuartermasterD

May 17, 2018
Gainesville, FL
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone. Thanks for all the welcome messages and advice. I finally made it out today - and what a beautiful day it was! I took the Tracker IV along with a cheap plastic scoop and digger that I got on Amazon. I didn't realize the Tracker IV headphone jack was 1/4" so I couldn't use headphones. I think I'll just order an adapter so I can use regular ear buds. Anyway, I hit the beach just after sunrise and to my surprise I actually found a few modern coins and some other items. I really enjoyed it. Today's finds included: 1 quarter (2003), 2 dimes (1987, 1995), 2 nickels (1995, unknown), 2 pennies (1995, unknown), a key, a can tab, and some assorted pieces of presumably aluminum cans. I also found something kinda big that was deeply embedded and very corroded. I assumed it was junk, looked like an electric fence post, so I let it be instead of digging a giant hole. Here's a few pics from today I thought you all might enjoy. Have a great holiday everyone!

20181223_130354494_iOS.jpg 20181223_130511408_iOS.jpg 20181223_130601551_iOS.jpg 20181224_014921939_iOS.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread