Tarnished Silver Plate Issues

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,

I have some silver plated items I was trying to remove the tarnish from. Some of it came off easily...and yet some of it will not budge.

What I think the issue is, is that as the silver is very thin...I believe that somewhere between the thin layer of silver and the vessel itself oxidation has been able to occur due to compromised adhesion. Think of an old mirror where the mirror coating has become blackened with spots.

And there isn't a way to get underneath, between the plating and the vessel, to remove the tarnish without destroying the object...near as I can tell.

It's only a slight disappointment at this time. Didn't spend very much on the articles anyway. I'll just re-goodwill them I suppose.

Any thoughts on the subject are welcome and appreciated.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
What is the base metal? This, and the type of polish used, could be contributing factors to your problem.

Time for more coffee.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Learned that lesson about silver plate years ago when I thought it had some collectible value. Some plate is thin and wears off with polishing or use and there is no way to bring it back.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions