Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Most reservoirs around America were knowingly covering up and flooding thousands of ancient Indian sites when they were built. The archies were fighting for time to study these but lost the fight.
It's one of the main reasons they cant tie timelines together in early America. What wasnt looted or ransacked earlier in the 1900's has been finished off now in the name of progress.
Does anyone still believe it's about preservation? Haha

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't stand a bad liar. In years past we had great liars, not like today. In the past they would at least make an attempt to fool you. Not anymore. They don't even try to conceal the fact that it's a lie. I guess lies have there place because the truth is hard to consume. Can I get a wetness!

Clever lies, such as "plausible deniability" have been replaced by sheer volume and repetition of easily disproved lies. It reminds me of the diner review that says the food is bad, but the portions are generous. Good policy should be based on facts. In the past, we ridiculed the liars - and they became marginalized, at least until recently. Are we seeing the "revenge of the liars"?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
....Does anyone still believe it's about preservation? Haha

The best "preservation" is done at the hands of the private sector.

It's kind of humorous, but , when a purist archie goes to identify a button (date, origin, etc...) who does he turn to ? : The books of the evil private sector digger/hobbyist. If/when a purist archie goes to identify age, ID, origin, etc... of a bottle or glass, who's reference works does he turn to ? : The private sector hobbyist digger bottle collector reference works.

And so on down the line. Thus if it wasn't for the "evil" private sector hobbyist digger collector mentality: We would know MUCH LESS about our history.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clever lies, such as "plausible deniability" have been replaced by sheer volume and repetition of easily disproved lies. It reminds me of the diner review that says the food is bad, but the portions are generous. Good policy should be based on facts. In the past, we ridiculed the liars - and they became marginalized, at least until recently. Are we seeing the "revenge of the liars"?

Good policy should be based on fact, but even fact based policy can have unforeseen unintended consequences in which case it is bad policy.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Most of those sites were pillaged by the first people to find them. All the coolest stuff was taken for private collections long before scientists studied them and before they were ever protected.
The biggest damage was done before any of us were born.
Same with the petrified forest near Florissant where we used to live. There are old black and white photos of people climbing on them and whacking the stumps with sledge hammers so they could take the big pieces. One giant petrified redwood stump still has a saw blade stuck in it from over 100 years ago and it will be there until it rusts away.

The touristy national parks have already studied their areas and alot of those ruins have been reconstructed or rebuilt to make them safe. There wouldn't be much to find that hasn't been found already.
It sucks that most has been stolen and damaged but I'm just mad it wasnt me that was there first!
When I find old cabin ruins in the mountains I dig them without ever thinking twice. If theres something of value or something that is protected I want to find it!

There as many private scientists that contribute as much as government granted, just dont have the backing. Unless you had a trust fund theres no way a person could afford to do the research that's involved. That's when the feds help out with funding.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most reservoirs around America were knowingly covering up and flooding thousands of ancient Indian sites when they were built. The archies were fighting for time to study these but lost the fight.
It's one of the main reasons they cant tie timelines together in early America. What wasnt looted or ransacked earlier in the 1900's has been finished off now in the name of progress.
Does anyone still believe it's about preservation? Haha

Time lines for early America are documented very well and we are learning all the time. Most sites like say Mississippian will be covered up because they do not contain any new knowledge. I have seen it time and again on ancient native American sites. Museums basements are stuffed full of things that will never see the light of day. I am in The Tn Valley and much is under water but hardly all of it.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Most of those sites were pillaged by the first people to find them.....

I notice you use the word "pillage". Which has negative connotations to some people.

What would you say about Mel Fisher ? To use him as an example, his successes (excuse me ... "pillaging") resulted in UN-TOLD enjoyment, by the public, by the un-told 10's of thousands of visitors that have toured the museum, watched the TV documentaries, learned about world history of the item's eras, etc.....

Granted, not everyone will publish their digs , and create museums, for the enjoyment of all. It will never be a perfect system. However, we can be assured of this: NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS would the government have gone and funded risky treasure hunts like that. The tax-paying Americans would have had a hissy fit if governments had gone waltzing about, with tax-payer dollars, on risky treasure hunts.

Call it pillaging if you want. Fine then: we'll "pillage" :hello:

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes it only has one definition that I'm aware of.
The groups and individuals that stole and vandalized the sites weren't in it for a museum or to preserve anything. I dont know any mel fisher, TV personality?

Last edited:

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Antarctica belongs to Japan and the USA ? Removing 37 000 meteorites alone for the purpose of Scientific Research . Own unregulated airstrips , planes in planes out. What else is being taken. Private and Government reseach teams . Different sets of rules ? Looks like LOOTING for a green back to me. TP

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
to all the desperado's hurry go get you gold pans and pan for gold. get out there before the government comes to their senses. hurry, hurry

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Government shut down does not mean laws have changed. You can still be arrested and charged for breaking the laws.

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
People are slobs. The litterers are responsible for the no trespassing, no fishing and no hunting signs. Pack it in, then pack it out.

i'm down with that. i clean up my own mess. a little respect goes along way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread