Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree14Likes
  • 4 Post By aeromed73
  • 2 Post By DizzyDigger
  • 2 Post By Professor of Engineering
  • 2 Post By A#1
  • 2 Post By dirtlooter
  • 1 Post By SD51
  • 1 Post By A#1

Thread: Before I get started.....

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mar 2018
    South Carolina
    Garrett Ace 300
    13 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Before I get started.....

Through studying old maps and talking to numerous people I have located a very small village that was burned down during Sherman's march that been largely forgotten. It's literally in the middle of the woods with absolutely nothing around but forest. I've found the foundation stones for a couple houses, a small store, and an old church dating back to 1784. No building are present. The land is corporation owned and I have been granted permission to metal detect.

The only thing still there is a very old graveyard. Most of the headstones and markers are so worn I cant make out anything on them.

I have zero intention of MD'ing in or near the graveyard but am curious about whats a respectful distance to stay from it.

us
    Dec 2012
    Concrete, WA
    Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
    5643 times
    Prospecting
    Can only speak for myself, but I would feel comfortable detecting
    up to the outer boundaries of the cemetary. Cemeteries usually
    have some type of wall, fence or structure that defines the area
    of the cemetery..staying outside of that should be OK.

Kudo's for doing the needed research to locate that old town.
    Hope you find a treasure of goodies they left behind..
    aeromed73 and Megalodon like this.
    Mike (aka Dizz)

"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude better than the animating contest
    of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick
    the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you
    were our countrymen." ~~ Samuel Adams, 1776

Dizzy's Super-Simple, Universal Rule of Forum Conduct: Don't be an ass.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II & X-terra 705; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i & DFX
    23298 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Good Luck on the new site!

In regards to graveyards, just stay outside the boundaries. If no markings are found use your good judgement.
    Loco-Digger and Megalodon like this.

A#1
    us
    El Supremo!!

Feb 2018
    Traverse City, Michigan
    Eagle Spectrum, Equinox 600, Carrot, LeTrap, Moby, Darby
    362 times
    Other Peoples Trash
    Quote Originally Posted by DizzyDigger View Post
    Can only speak for myself, but I would feel comfortable detecting
    up to the outer boundaries of the cemetary. Cemeteries usually
    have some type of wall, fence or structure that defines the area
    of the cemetery..staying outside of that should be OK.

Kudo's for doing the needed research to locate that old town.
    Hope you find a treasure of goodies they left behind..
    I conpletely agree with this.

I try my best to stay outside the perimiter "burial ground"......solely because others may frown upon things and whine about it.

Personally, although i don't feel it' truly immoral, I wouldnt desecrate an actual grave by digging a plug, simply because I don't want to.
    DizzyDigger and Megalodon like this.

us
    Title? old fart

Jun 2014
    mid western ARK
    XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
    11378 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    you would have to dig pretty deep most of the time to be disturbing the actual grave. There is no telling how many times we have detected and dug over a grave that has been lost to time. A maintained or enclosed cemetery is obvious. We have a rock walk way that has an old tombstone, face down in it. It was a discarded one that was replaced by a newer and better one nearly a hundred years ago. the family had replaced it and they had thrown it away. My family were caretakers of the cemetery and still keep it in order. Respect the site as best as you can but remember that even in cemeteries, maintenance occurs in and around the graves.
    LUKE 15 : 8 "OR WHAT WOMAN, IF SHE HAS TEN SILVER COINS AND LOSES ONE COIN,DOES NOT LIGHT A LAMP AND SWEEP THE HOUSE AND SEARCH CAREFULLY UNTIL SHE FINDS IT?" 15 : 9 "AND WHEN SHE HAS FOUND IT, SHE CALLS TOGETHER HER FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS, SAYING, "REJOICE WITH ME, FOR I HAVE FOUND THE COIN WHICH I HAD LOST!"

Aug 2016
    MI
    E-TRAC
    2908 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I agree with everything that's been said. Just another thought... maybe place a stake at each of the four corners that you consider to be the boundaries of the cemetery, In that way, you can show anybody that you fully respect the cemetery. Sometimes onlookers need some form of actual proof, otherwise they can assume things and we all know how that works out in the end. Best of luck detecting there and let us all know how you've done!

A#1
    us
    El Supremo!!

Feb 2018
    Traverse City, Michigan
    Eagle Spectrum, Equinox 600, Carrot, LeTrap, Moby, Darby
    362 times
    Other Peoples Trash
    Give or take the size, era, and lifespan of the cemetery itself, to me the the area outside the actual burial grounds is more desirable anyhow.

The buggy lot, hitchin post, two-holer, picnic area, shade tree, walkways, Things of that nature.

ETA: I guess I mean.....Huggies!!!! and hankies weren't just graveside. A cemetery was also kinda like a party spot, just not a happy party. I always pictured it more like a church gathering. And consider there were bigger springtime burial parties, when the ground finally thawed enough for the spring planting of the skull orchard, they had a winters worth of seeds, and no time to waste.
    Last edited by A#1; Jan 20, 2019 at 01:47 PM.
    DizzyDigger likes this.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links