Is this person the best coin shooter ever?

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
I have been sent a few great articles on coinshooters and coinshooting. To help keep me motivated...thanks.. But I think this one tops them all. I had seen an Explorer user who claimed over 19,000 coins in one year. But this guy Paul Campbell has found over 221,000 coins (from 1975 to 1998)and over 23,000 in one year. Ever heard any better? He was using a Tesoro detector and the magazine article I received was from 1999! So who knows what he is up to now! :)

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
Seems a bit strong but who knows. I do know I tried out a Tesoro last week at a park. Those puppies are very LITE and quick. I am not sure how they would do on a relic hunt and I don't know about depth but I do know you can buzz through a park, pick up a bunch of coins and hunt a long time without wearing yourself out.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
I guess opinions vary. A lot of experienced coin hunters simply ignore recent clad and go after deep old coinage.

My philosophy is quality over quantity. For example Tom in Ca with 11 gold coins or UK Brian( gold coin totals- I believe are in the three figures)would be my nominees.

George

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
"quality over quantity", I like that bakergeol ;) I know spots where I can dig 100 coins in 2 hours (granted, mostly memorial pennies), but I'd rather spend all day angling for a single seated or reale.

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
bakergeol said:
I guess opinions vary. A lot of experienced coin hunters simply ignore recent clad and go after deep old coinage.

My philosophy is quality over quantity. For example Tom in Ca with 11 gold coins or UK Brian( gold coin totals- I believe are in the three figures)would be my nominees.

George

I am familar with UK Brian...he also sent me a pic and easily has found more silver then anyone on this forum...but without all the bragging! ;)

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Tin Nugget said:
Seems a bit strong but who knows. I do know I tried out a Tesoro last week at a park. Those puppies are very LITE and quick. I am not sure how they would do on a relic hunt and I don't know about depth but I do know you can buzz through a park, pick up a bunch of coins and hunt a long time without wearing yourself out.

The article was featured in Lost Treasure May 1999.

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Boobydoo said:
This Paul guy must be true pro... with all that clad he can buy 100 gold coins.

I can't even imagine that. I find a lot of clad, but I am mainly looking for jewelry keepers and I dig it all, so clad (and junque) are just by products of the way I search. I don't have the time to dig that much. I have 7900 in 188 hours of hunting this year.

3 gold coins too, so I must be dooing something right. ;D

You are the clad master Greg, now go get 10,000!

Smiles!
BDoo

At this point I just want to get it over with! Cash it in the clad and probably use it to buy some more detecting goodies! :) I could not imagine finding that many coins...imagine an average of almost 10,000 a year. He also hit 1000 within a week...which is an interesting goal to shoot for...but would need right hunting conditions and great motivation...or tons of coin spills! :D

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom_in_CA said:
"quality over quantity", I like that bakergeol ;) I know spots where I can dig 100 coins in 2 hours (granted, mostly memorial pennies), but I'd rather spend all day angling for a single seated or reale.
Heck, wish I had places like that here...I would be worse than a dog at digging holes...To be honest, I'm not gonna turn down any coin.

dave-enc

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Eastern North Carolina
Hey greg, Mr Campbell had at least a couple of articles in western and eastern back in late 80's and 90's I believe. As I recall he was from Fairmont WV, and would winter on west coast of florida. The last article I read which was when he found his 100,000 coin he was using a tesoro golden sabre then. Im afraid I havent read a copy of W+E treasures inlast 9 years. As i recall he kept very meticulous records, and recorded the number of the coin on the mount ie 25,000 and the date, and 100,000 and date
the old copies of these magazines are priceless. The old treasure found magazines were great also
hh
dave+bobbie

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
SC_hunter said:
Tom_in_CA said:
Heck, wish I had places like that here...I would be worse than a dog at digging holes...To be honest, I'm not gonna turn down any coin.

Digging 100 coins in 2 hours is hard...but in woodchip at the right area very possible. I know what he means about those penny farms...I have found a ton of penny trees and often go on rolls picking them up like litter...when they are just scattered everywhere i am always hopeful a wheatie will come up... :)

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
dave-enc said:
Hey greg, Mr Campbell had at least a couple of articles in western and eastern back in late 80's and 90's I believe. As I recall he was from Fairmont WV, and would winter on west coast of florida. The last article I read which was when he found his 100,000 coin he was using a tesoro golden sabre then. Im afraid I havent read a copy of W+E treasures inlast 9 years. As i recall he kept very meticulous records, and recorded the number of the coin on the mount ie 25,000 and the date, and 100,000 and date
the old copies of these magazines are priceless. The old treasure found magazines were great also
hh
dave+bobbie

Yes that is him... :) He would keep every thousandth coin in a binder according to the article...a lot of people were asking me who found the most coins in one year...then someone offered to send me an article to read about him... incredible knowing these were ground finds!

rebelLT

Feb 26, 2007
SE Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE PRO, XLT, Teknetics Omega
I couldnt dig that many coins with a EX II, my arm would fall off like some stupid cartoon character! I did dig over 200 wheats one day years ago with an XLT, thought I would die. :P

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
With the right beach, and the right beach erosion storm, I have had several times where I was diggin in excess of 100 coins per hour (albeit mostly clad). When you think of it, after adding in a few car keys, fishing sinkers, and some jewelry, that's actually digging "as fast as you can" (ie. finish retrieving one, and you're already pinpointing and digging the next). But the fastest ever for me was 466 coins in about 3 hours after a storm. That's basically several coins in every sand-basket full, for as fast as I could dig for 3 hours. The beach was eroded down to bedrock that day, and mother nature dumped all the targets in defined narrow zones. Got a $2.50 gold that day, over 100 wheaties, etc... ;D

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
rebelLT said:
I couldnt dig that many coins with a EX II, my arm would fall off like some stupid cartoon character! I did dig over 200 wheats one day years ago with an XLT, thought I would die. :P

Wow! If I find more than one wheatie in a day...I feel like Indiana Jones! :D ;)

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Tom_in_CA said:
With the right beach, and the right beach erosion storm, I have had several times where I was diggin in excess of 100 coins per hour (albeit mostly clad). When you think of it, after adding in a few car keys, fishing sinkers, and some jewelry, that's actually digging "as fast as you can" (ie. finish retrieving one, and you're already pinpointing and digging the next). But the fastest ever for me was 466 coins in about 3 hours after a storm. That's basically several coins in every sand-basket full, for as fast as I could dig for 3 hours. The beach was eroded down to bedrock that day, and mother nature dumped all the targets in defined narrow zones. Got a $2.50 gold that day, over 100 wheaties, etc... ;D

Holy cow that is great...I think Boobydoo just dug 400-500 coins in a few hours on Saturday...He had a contest and also found a lot of other stuff...not sure if I won yet... :D

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Hey Gregg, I believe this possible only if you actually have the time in your hands. Did the guy have a job? House paid off type of situation?There is no way in hell I could get 25% of his numbers in a year, but if I didn't have a job and lived with my parents, seriously, I see it possible, especially in this part of the US. I don't know how fertile things would be year after year, but as of now, you can dig coins until you wear yourself out. If this guy was legit (We all know not everyone is), and he does sound to be, that is an amazing count plus career/rep.

Bodyguard

Mar 11, 2007
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
BH Sharpshooter II
heck..... I had over 300 coins in about 20 minutes.... Then the cops came and kicked me out of the city park fountain. ;D JR

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Bodyguard said:
heck..... I had over 300 coins in about 20 minutes.... Then the cops came and kicked me out of the city park fountain. ;D JR

Ha,ha,ha,ha! :D

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Bodyguard said:
It took you 20 minutes to get 300 coins from a fountain ? I used to do 1000 coins in 1/2 hour in my hobo days ! :D ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread