proper distance from toes to coil in a swing question.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was using a swing harness for the 800 stock coil. Then I got the 15 x 12" coil and the swing harness works, but still a little heavy with the 15" coil. Noticed in one of Calabash's video he had his 800 shaft shortened so the coil was about 6 or 7" in front of his toes, almost straight down.

Well I shortened my 800 about 3 notches and it is much easier to swing this way for me especially with the 15" coil. It does cause my swing arc to be a little more narrow, but with the 15" coil I am getting extra coverage anyway. Before I had the coil about 2-3 feet in front of me. With the 15" coil that was just too much weight extending out for my right forearm that is blessed with carpal tunnel syndrome. Maybe having the coil extended way out in front is not the right way to do it anyway. Who knows?

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So long as you aren't wearing shoes with metal in them it doesn't matter how close you swing to them. Just do what's comfortable and keep your coil low to the ground.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
To add to Icewing; keeping proper posture is very important. Otherwise, your swing will be compromised and of course your back, neck and legs will suffer.

OP
OP
pulltabfelix

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
To add to Icewing; keeping proper posture is very important. Otherwise, your swing will be compromised and of course your back, neck and legs will suffer.

good advice. I have a tendency to hunch over some or so my wife has indicated on numerous occasions. So I will try to watch that since I have some minor back issues.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread