Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: Professional hunters: how do you make money?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Aug 2015
    Raleigh, NC
    NOX 800
    83 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by sawmill man View Post
    You You Tube it. if your a women you just put on some very tight fitting clothes and strut around ,dosent matter if you find anything or not , or if your a man just act like your stoned and giggle and laugh at everything and poke at toad frogs and every bone you find. heck its working for some . just shoot for a million views.
    **THIS***
    Nitric likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro Tejon
    19062 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    Now if you are retired, then the best way would be to go through about $5k in boxed half dollars a week to try and pull out silver.

I however, am not doing that! Around here the banks look at you like you're a troll or something if you just ask if they have any loose ones.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    22048 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Dont quit your job we are lucky to find what we do your better off studying antiques and hope to know enough to turn a profit but that takes alot of time and money and mistakes
    RustyGold and Loco-Digger like this.
    Still Available ​Approved TreasureNet Stickers
    .:: $3.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::.
    .:: $2.25 for 1" x 4" Detector Sticker ::.
    (Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    19062 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    A2coins, I am best at making the "mistakes" part, but since I generally don't resell anything, it doesn't really matter much, and these items aren't too expensive either.
    A2coins likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    OC, CA
    XP Deus, Equinox 800 & 600 720i Stealth Scoop
    6254 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by sawmill man View Post
    You You Tube it. if your a women you just put on some very tight fitting clothes and strut around ,dosent matter if you find anything or not , or if your a man just act like your stoned and giggle and laugh at everything and poke at toad frogs and every bone you find. heck its working for some . just shoot for a million views.
    You could call yourself “He Detector” 🤑
    Loco-Digger, A2coins and lastleg like this.

We are not what we take, we are what we leave.

Charter Member
    us
    Coin Rescue Tech

Jun 2014
    Northern O-H-I-O
    F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & an F2 (loaner)
    16849 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz12 View Post
    If you want to get rich in this business you should design a "new" shovel or some other trinket and market as a "must have" for everyone who is serious about the hobby
    I agree, those that made their riches during the gold rush, sold the necessities to the miners...
    Rescuing Coins 1 Beep at a time

Charter Member
    us
    Coin Rescue Tech

Jun 2014
    Northern O-H-I-O
    F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & an F2 (loaner)
    16849 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    I do pretty well keeping my hobby account full of cash from detecting and keeping my eyes open for dirt cheap detectors that I resell for a meager profit, while still leaving meat on the bone for the next guy.

I dig less clad than I did the 1st season, since many kids no longer run around with change in their pockets like they used to and once you've gridded a spot, it does not regenerate cash as fast as it used to in days gone by.
    A2coins, RustyGold, Nitric and 1 others like this.
    Rescuing Coins 1 Beep at a time

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    22048 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeythecat View Post
    A2coins, I am best at making the "mistakes" part, but since I generally don't resell anything, it doesn't really matter much, and these items aren't too expensive either.
    Im the same way lol
    RustyGold and Loco-Digger like this.
    Still Available ​Approved TreasureNet Stickers
    .:: $3.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::.
    .:: $2.25 for 1" x 4" Detector Sticker ::.
    (Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

Charter Member
    us
    WolfPack member

Aug 2009
    New Hampshire
    Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
    7931 times
    The Truth
    Professional hunters: how do you make money?
    You have to learn,read.Get to the library and get books on antiques.The only way to make money at it is to know what youre looking at.Whether you dig it,find it at a yard sale or a thrift store.If you go by guesses youll starve.
    Loco-Digger, RustyGold and Nitric like this.

us
    Ed

Jul 2018
    Eastern Connecticut
    Garrett AT Pro Garrett Ace 400 Garrett Pro Pointer
    1255 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz12 View Post
    If you want to get rich in this business you should design a "new" shovel or some other trinket and market as a "must have" for everyone who is serious about the hobby
    Just remember to make that new shovel or other trinket available in "CAMO".
    smokeythecat likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    19062 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    Regarding antiques, I begged my mother to buy me an oak dresser for $35 at a junk store when I was 12. Back then turn of the century oak didn't bring much. It does now. I still have it. I have watched antiques for more years than I can admit to. With notable exceptions, right now if you can name the antique, you could probably find one and buy it, if you had the funds.

This one place had a very nice item for sale for over a year now. The price started at $1195. It was a nice item, but...then a few months later it dropped to $999...still nice, but...then they dropped the price to $800...still nice, but...when it went to $600 I bought it.

Prices on a lot of items are dropping. The one store I visit deals in militaria. They have over 300 WWI German helmets in stock. They bought a big collection. A lot of collections are on the market right now. And with a flooded market, the prices on some stuff is coming down.

HOWEVER, with that said, anything with camo should be fine!
    RustyGold and dsrtdwg1 like this.

Charter Member
    us
    DEPLORABLE

Jul 2015
    Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
    E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
    19879 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Even if you find a rare date gold coin and sell it for a Million dollars. After taxes, that's probably less than $30,000 a year over the next 20 years. That's not a lot of money. I first picked up a metal detector in 1970 and still haven't found my first gold coin.
    Keep it fun by enjoying it as a hobby.
    Toecutter and Loco-Digger like this.
    SOMETIMES I WISH I DIDN'T KNOW NOW ,,, WHAT I DIDN'T KNOW THEN,, Bob Seger

us
    WP

Mar 2014
    Dallas,GA
    CZ6A
    5993 times
    Kind of depends on what your definition of treasure hunting is. And what "make a living" means. There are people that do it every day. But I look at "treasure hunting" as a huge category!! To me even a coin dealer is a type of treasure hunter. A guy finding the rare car in a field is a treasure hunter too....Combine a bunch of different interests and go for it!! Hopefully one will carry the other when one or more goes through a "dry" period.

I'm a believer that you can make money at anything!!! Just depends on how dedicated, hard working, and creative you are. "make a living" means something different to everyone.

There are people that go to a day job 9 to 5 every day, where the pay check is consistent.....Then...There are treasure hunters. Neither is bad, just different way of living.
    Last edited by Nitric; Feb 04, 2019 at 10:30 PM.
    3cylbill and Loco-Digger like this.

us
    Jul 2011
    Garrett AT Pro
    4 times
    I guess, if you dig up enough pull tabs, aluminum foil and cans, you could always cash them in at the scrap metal place. Key word here is "enough". You might be able to make a living at it.
    Loco-Digger and lastleg like this.

Charter Member
    us
    TerryrSoloman.com

May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000; Equinox 600 -- Tesoro Mojave -- Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger -- Bunk's Hermit Pick
    21578 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by TintedSnow View Post
    For the professional treasure hunters that do it full time, how do you make your money? Is there a way to live off treasure hunting? Can it be a stable job or is it hit or miss for days, weeks, months?
    Yes, there is a way. You must have a legitimate treasure that you have researched (yourself, or with a team you have put together). You then package that research into a 12-14 minute "video pitch," which you show to potential investors, along with your business plan/perspective. Once you have raised $5-million you can hire your team and lease/buy your equipment while being paid a six-figure salary. Easy right? Not on your life.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links