Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Wonderful story DL and Brad. I find myself doing the very same thing. Iā€™m not afraid to talk to strangers and after a few exchanges they just open up and I know their name, where they live and so on.
Itā€™s amazing how one goes from Hero to Zero as one ages so if you see me dropping my keys and fiddling in the parking lot stop by for a chat! Lol!

JoeVal

Oct 28, 2018
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 & 800
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Bounty Hunter Tracker Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are very fortunate to have one of the best VA hospitals in the country in Cleveland Ohio. Every time I have to go to the main campus instead of the satellite office, Iā€™m impressed with the number of volunteers to help vets get back to their vehicles and load their chairs for them. Nobody has to go it alone once on campus. Regardless of which campaign we were connected with, we're still brothers and sisters in arms right to the end. So many proudly wear their caps to the VA hospital, defining their service connection. I was Vietnam era non combat, and always try to strike up a conversation with someone in the waiting room. I just ask when they were in and where weā€™re they stationed. Then I sit back and just listen. Weā€™re all proud of service time, regardless of length.

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at the VA hospital in Little Rock, there were as usual, a lot of people there. As I sat there waiting, there was another man across from me that seemed to be a nervous wreck. I tried to talk to him but he wasn't very responsive but I continued with the light talk. Finally he opened up and the flood gates were wide open. He was about to get a shot in his eye and was totally afraid of a needle going into his eye. I explained that I had been apprehensive of my first shot too and that I had been getting them for over three years now. He had a lot of questions and I had some answers.

Anyways, we got separated as he went in to see a doctor and then I did. So a little bit later, while I sat waiting to ride the van back to Mena, the man saw me and hurried over to me. He shook my hand and thanked me for helping him to calm down before the shot. I told him that anyone else would have done the same thing. It only takes a minute or so out of our time to talk to someone. we have the ability to lift someone up, to encourage them or to even calm them down but only if we open our mouths or physically do something. Look around you, even metal detecting you might make a difference in someone's life or day. May not seem like much to you but to them it can be gigantic. Just saying. DL
100% top man!!

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at the VA hospital in Little Rock, there were as usual, a lot of people there. As I sat there waiting, there was another man across from me that seemed to be a nervous wreck. I tried to talk to him but he wasn't very responsive but I continued with the light talk. Finally he opened up and the flood gates were wide open. He was about to get a shot in his eye and was totally afraid of a needle going into his eye. I explained that I had been apprehensive of my first shot too and that I had been getting them for over three years now. He had a lot of questions and I had some answers.

Anyways, we got separated as he went in to see a doctor and then I did. So a little bit later, while I sat waiting to ride the van back to Mena, the man saw me and hurried over to me. He shook my hand and thanked me for helping him to calm down before the shot. I told him that anyone else would have done the same thing. It only takes a minute or so out of our time to talk to someone. we have the ability to lift someone up, to encourage them or to even calm them down but only if we open our mouths or physically do something. Look around you, even metal detecting you might make a difference in someone's life or day. May not seem like much to you but to them it can be gigantic. Just saying. DL

Dude, you can never understand how much this makes me smile.

Being someone that suffers REAL BAD with depression, and severe social anxiety, I get to talk to nobody and I mean nobody all day, everyday.....ever since my best mate killed himself over 10 years ago, my head is absolutely shot!

I would pay a million dollars if somebody would take the time to have even a 5 second conversation with me.

Christ, if somebody even said " hi mate, you alright?"

....I'd be on CLOUD nine for a month!!!!

You are the one in a million guy's.

Seriously...well done mate!

Matt

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Mate, you alright?

Matt, there ain't no person on this Earth who does not have issues. In person I've been a very quiet person = all my life. Don't want nobody to even notice me. I'm better hidden from the world, happier that way. In life I've met and known thousands of persons. Thus I now hide up a holler away from humanity. TNet is my only social media - a group of fellow dreamers with whom I relate.

Grizz12

Dec 22, 2018
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thought of shots to the eye is freaking me out!!

I had lazik on my eyes back in 2001 and felt zero pain. They put drops in my eyes that numbed everything up and I didnt feel anything.

When I go to the VA most everyone does not look like they are interested in talking but I still smile and say hi.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMG_1967.jpg

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The thought of shots to the eye is freaking me out!!

I had lazik on my eyes back in 2001 and felt zero pain. They put drops in my eyes that numbed everything up and I didnt feel anything.

When I go to the VA most everyone does not look like they are interested in talking but I still smile and say hi.

For some reason, people seem to be attracted to me and just start talking. I am now a pretty good listener. Sometimes the ice just needs to be broken with just a few words and then they open up. Then I let them talk about whatever is on their minds

Lunch Bag

Dec 23, 2018
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Iā€™ve had a few needles in my eyes and other than feeling a little pressure there was no pain at all.

The alternative for me is to lose my vision so I am grateful for the shot.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Dude, you can never understand how much this makes me smile.

Being someone that suffers REAL BAD with depression, and severe social anxiety, I get to talk to nobody and I mean nobody all day, everyday.....ever since my best mate killed himself over 10 years ago, my head is absolutely shot!

I would pay a million dollars if somebody would take the time to have even a 5 second conversation with me.

Christ, if somebody even said " hi mate, you alright?"

....I'd be on CLOUD nine for a month!!!!

You are the one in a million guy's.

Seriously...well done mate!

Matt

Matt,

Hi mate, you alright? And I sure do hope you are alright! Like DeepseekerADS stated, there ain't no person on this Earth who does not have issues. I have depression from time to time due all of the financial difficulties I face every month, from the constant pain in my' back, legs and butt from an injury in the U.S. Army, from the loss of loved ones and friends and out of worry for my' middle daughter who has depression and anxiety worse than her two sisters and her mother (my ex-wife). However, I try to look on the bright side of things and get out and talk to people I know. When I think things are bad, I think about my' youngest daughter's fiance, Kevin who not only had a rough life coming up but also while serving two tours in Iraq. Kevin lost his mother at an early age to a cancerous brain tumor and before she died, the kids on the school bus would laugh at him and his mother...who would often fall when she saw him off to school because her balance was affected severely, seeing his dad die shortly after he turned 16 from Liver cancer and then having his whole Marine Unit wiped out in the first Battle of Fallujah with the exception of himself and one other Marine who he stays in contact with to this day. Please try to look for the good things in life, don't spend time watching or reading depressing news and most of all, please find some friends and an activity where you can make more friends and talk with them. Heck, most would want to know that you are having problems and will likely do what they can to help.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Matt,

Hi mate, you alright? And I sure do hope you are alright! Like DeepseekerADS stated, there ain't no person on this Earth who does not have issues. I have depression from time to time due all of the financial difficulties I face every month, from the constant pain in my' back, legs and butt from an injury in the U.S. Army, from the loss of loved ones and friends and out of worry for my' middle daughter who has depression and anxiety worse than her two sisters and her mother (my ex-wife). However, I try to look on the bright side of things and get out and talk to people I know. When I think things are bad, I think about my' youngest daughter's fiance, Kevin who not only had a rough life coming up but also while serving two tours in Iraq. Kevin lost his mother at an early age to a cancerous brain tumor and before she died, the kids on the school bus would laugh at him and his mother...who would often fall when she saw him off to school because her balance was affected severely, seeing his dad die shortly after he turned 16 from Liver cancer and then having his whole Marine Unit wiped out in the first Battle of Fallujah with the exception of himself and one other Marine who he stays in contact with to this day. Please try to look for the good things in life, don't spend time watching or reading depressing news and most of all, please find some friends and an activity where you can make more friends and talk with them. Heck, most would want to know that you are having problems and will likely do what they can to help.

sent Matt a PM, probably could use some more of us to reach out to him. A lot of us can relate to him and give some of our time to him. Vets need to help other Vets when we can. Jerry

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread