Found Barn foundation - Need help

Rock22

Sep 9, 2013
Erie Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This past summer was very dry in Erie Pennsylvania and the land that I live on was once a beef cattle farm. The previous owner told me that on dry summers you could see the shape of the barn that was once there. I know that the original settlers were German so I will assume it was a bank barn? My question is , should I dig it up and then detect as I go or would it only be about a foot or so deep and not worth tearing up my side yard? Many giant rocks were piled in my back woods that must have been its foundation but it can be seen and I have driven a metal rod into the ground and have definitely found some sort of foundation that still remains.
Could it have been a basement? I have done some barn research but just can't find good information.

Thanks for any help!

Bill

Last edited:

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have seen the outline of filled in 1800’s barn foundations appear when there is a really hot spell in the ground cover. This makes sense.

I would not waste time trying to excavate the barn foundation. This would be a ton of work for most likely minimal return. I would google Penn Pilot and down load the 1937 aerial of your property. This should give you a good idea where the homesite was located, Well, paths, access roads, out buildings and this barn. Then you can focus on the areas with the most activity. You might even find the outline of a 1930’s baseball field on your property. Good luck!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a fun project

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good Luck on the new adventure! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread