Seven Cabins Canyon - See my post listed for New Mexico

Feb 8, 2008
ROSWELL, NEW MEXICO
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-Fisher 2 box & others
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SEVEN CABINS CANYON - A PLACE OF HISTORY, MYSTERY AND INTRIGUE
When my family lived at the old Kranz Seven Cabins Sawmill where we worked during the winter of 1937-'38, we have heard many tales about the old settlement that had existed at the springs for many years before, and my brother and I explored every avenue to uncover some of the mystery and intrigue that surrounded the region.
About a mile below the old mounds, which was the site of the cabins, was an ancient peach orchard whose trees still for the most delicious fruit. Although the small trees had "gone back" and the peaches were small, that didn't keep them from making the best peach cobbler that you could smack your teeth into — especially after my mom I got through with them.
We had heard that the settlers who had come into the canyon perhaps a hundred years before had been a Spanish decent — and perhaps they were since many small mountain hamlets had been born in this manner.
One thing is pretty certain; the pioneers at Seven Cabins were farmers. Although the area is heavily timbered today, when the orchard was there, there were signs of old cultivated fields and even a system of irrigation ditches which were done in the side of the hill and ran from the spring down the canyon to the fields below.
I often when exporting for artifacts in the old fields. A friend, Guy Crandall, told me about the treasure that was thought at one time to be buried near the cabin sites. However, the treasures I found were of a different nature. I know the settlers there use oxen for working their fields because I found an ox shoe along with other old-time farm implements such as a broad-axe, and a few small pieces of old carts and the wagons.
Most folks may not know it, but there's a trail across them mountain from Seven Cabins Springs to the Bonito Valley. Legend tells us that Billy the Kid used the trail as his escape route when Pat Garrett and his deputies were pursuing him.
I thought old Billy's ghost was still riding that trail, and might even be after me one evening as I sat hid in some wild cherry tree brush waiting at the spring for a fat buck to come into water.
I had wanted time and again about that ancient trail and about all those who might have traveled across old Capitan Summit during the ages before, going to or from old Lincoln town. Did Billy Bonney have friends who lived at the "cabins" in those days? Maybe he had a lady friend there. One thing is fairly certain. If there had been a settlement there in the 1870's and '80's you can bet your boots El Chivito, as he traveled to Fort Sumner, and places on north, was welcome there.
Well, as I sat there behind the brush thinking about what might have happened there at those very mounds a half century before, I reckon it kinda' gave me a little chill. It wasn't that I was superstitious, but it gave me something to think about. What if Billy's ghost was still riding that trail?
I sat there until almost dark in the more I thought about the stories I had heard, the more jittery I became. I figured the best way to help my feelings would be to get out of there and go to the house. I couldn't see my sights on my rifle any longer anyway.
Then I heard it — hooves pounding down the trail — coming hard! I really don't remember what my thoughts were at that moment, but they might have been something like this! "Lord help me; Old Billy's makin' another ride!" Although I don't remember too much about my actions right then I do remember what happened minutes later.
I thought I was hid pretty well, but I was right close to the trail — the very trail that the rider was on, coming right toward me. Then, I saw the silhouette of the horseman in the late evening twilight. "Well, at least it's not a ghost," I thought. Then I had another quick idea — and it scared me. This thought alone brought me out of there. So out I jumped and headed for heavier cover.
That rider was really in a hurry. I could make out who it was for my new hiding place — and it sure wasn't Billy Bonney's ghost, nor was it the forest ranger or game warden. It was Guy Lee Nix, a young Block cowboy who lived in the old house at the Arroyo Seco place down in the foothills.
Well, I always like to pass the time a day with our neighbors and Guy Lee was about my age. So out I jumped now that I was sure who it wasn't.
"Hey, what's your hurry?" I yelled, after he had pounded by me.
The young cowboy reined down fast, acting as glad to see me as I was him, and we had quite a talk. He had been to Lincoln, he said, and was "tryin' to get home before late." We talk about old times a bit as I walked along beside him while he "breathed" his horse for a spell. But our palaver had to end soon — too soon, as we were shortly at the sawmill and I had to bid Guy Lee adios. Moments later I heard his horse hit a lope as they made their way toward Arroyo Seco.
I always like to visit the area around Seven Cabins Spring. Every time I go up there I recall that night on the trail. I like to think back again about the legendary tales of the folks who live there, how they made their living, about their environment, and most intriguing of all — I wonder where they went! Maybe someday I — or someone, will uncover some of the mystery that surrounds the ancient settlement that no longer exists — except in my mind — at the springs in Seven Cabins Canyon near the old Kranz sawmill site.
I have discovered where this site is located high up on the North slope of the Capitan Mountains. There is indeed a treasure story associated with this outlaw hide-out. If interested, see my post listed under New Mexico. Post any comments about this place if you know of it. There are not that many people left beside myself that know anything about this forgotten place.

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great read I would love to hunt somewhere like that Thanks for the cool post

Top Member Reactions