Ever look back and see where God had to be protecting you?

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well you asked for it or should I say them!

Fell off the top bunk of a bunk bed when I was 5 years old, literally head first onto a tongue & groove hardwood floor with a solid heavy plank sub-floor underneath. I apparently cracked my' skull as even into my' 30's, you could feel the separation of my' skull bones. I likely suffered a severe concussion but since we were poor and I could talk and walk, although somewhat unstable, my parents never took me to the Hospital or to a Doctor. I had severe headaches for almost a week and although I can remember my' grandmother dying when I was 3 1/2 years old and a couple of places we lived, I really don't remember much of anything when I was 5 years old.

Fell off the back of a Chevrolet pickup when I was 8 years old in the busiest intersection of Knoxville, Tennessee. My friend Steve Haynes and myself worked for a used Appliance Store. We would clean the traded in appliances, a repairman would fix any problems with them and then they would go out for resell. The boss asked me a Steve to ride in the bed of the truck to make sure that the refrigerator we were delivering did not break loose and fall. Coming off Western Avenue on to Henley Street, we caught a red light and when the boss pulled out, he punched it and popped the clutch. I had been talking to Steve and do not have a good hold of the rope and I went back-stepping across the length of the bed. I went over the back head first and somehow did a 180 or something in mid-air and grabbed the bumper of the truck. The impact of my' head and body into the pavement, knocked me out and I was being drug up Henley Street. I awoke to people screaming and yelling, Steve yelling at the boss to stop because I fell out and seeing cars rapidly approaching me from between my' legs. Well, the boss wouldn't stop because he thought Steve was joking and since the cars behind us (in my case, those I could see between my' legs) were getting closer and closer, I let go of the bumper, rolled to the sidewalk and started running for the truck with people still screaming. I was a fast runner and due to heavy traffic, I had almost caught up with the truck by the time finally pulled over and stopped. It is funny but I only suffered some scrapes on the back of my' head and on my' shoulders and elbows.

I will save some others for later and the most significant event for last and sorry that the stories are somewhat long-winded even though I shortened them a lot from all that actually happened!

I feel bad clicking like, but they are interesting stories

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I feel bad clicking like, but they are interesting stories

I feel exactly the same Jeff when someone describes some horrors they went through or describe injuries they received but feel it is better to acknowledge what happened to them and thus are acknowledging them and are indicating that you read what they wrote.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
When I was about 16 years old, we (me and some friends) were riding trail bikes on the road, in the fields and in the woods one day. We got the bright idea to ride the trail bikes to the top of a steep ridge. On the way back down the trail, it was really hard to brake because it was so steep but then I hit a wet spot with wet ground and wet leaves and went out of control. No matter how hard I tried, I could not slow the bike down which was rapidly accelerating down the trail nor could I steer. About halfway down the trail, I was heading straight for a nearly 3 foot diameter Oak tree at 40+ mph and since I could not slow down or steer, I closed my' eyes and braced for the impact. A few seconds passed and I opened my' eyes only to find that I was past the big Oak tree and had somehow missed it or did I. My friends could not believe that I did not hit the tree and neither could I, so we walked back up the trail to try to determine what happened. Well, the wet trail clearly showed the tracks of the trail bike that I rode, going right up to the center of the tree on the uphill side and clearly showed them again starting again at the center of the tree on the downhill side and continuing down the trail. Did I actually go through the tree, well I think so and my friends thought so and I truly believe that God or my' Guardian Angel made it happen.

Last edited:

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My whole life has been an example that there is a God who loves me and wants me to be happy. I have had a few near-misses that, without divine intervention, would have turned out rather poorly. Those incidents are not my proof.

As I look back on my years, I realize that I have always been in the place I needed to be and that I have always been prepared for whatever comes my way. I have never been out of work for more than two weeks and have always landed in a better place than I left. I had two careers that allowed me to do significant work, one of which was as a teacher. The only thing that bothers me about that is found in the book of James where we are told: "Not many of you should become teachers, my fellow believers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly". I think I did well at that job.

I have been blessed with two wonderful children who are a true joy. Same thing for my three grand-children. I have been married to my best friend for 44 years. I lack for nothing I need and have most of what I want. To be exact, it has become difficult for me to give hints for gifts at Christmas, birthday, etc.

Life is, indeed, good.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seems He's pushing me into just as many problems and pitfalls as He's nudging me out of. :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Our Father sent us here to learn and without the trials, tribulations, grief, joy, love and life itself, we would never learn!

ah the life moldings that shape us into what we are today. The ones that draw us closer to Him. But through out the book of Life, He reminds us that if we are His, He will never leave nor forsake us. So He is with us always no matter what. a great feeling indeed.

Shankersbend

Dec 6, 2016
Oroville, WA.
Detector(s) used
Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone have an NDE? I had one in Viet Nam. It was the best 'treasure' I ever 'found', but after 50 years I still don't know what I'm supposed to do with it (actually I do). Semper Fi, God.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
My grandfather always told me to "Never look back .. something might be gaining!" I never did know quite what he meant by that.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Numerous times God saved me while others around me were killed or wounded.

Countless times I had wished it was me and not them.

Try to let that go. Easier said than done, right? I still struggle with the same question, why them and not me? I sure as h@ll don't deserve to be the one still here.
Still lookin' for answers...
dts

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That time I was seriously considering a Nokta Impact....guided to the F75. Makes the hair on my neck stand up every time I think about it.

Chub

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend once told me that believing in God is not unlike believing in wind. You cannot see the air, but you can see the waves on the water and the rustling of the trees. You can see the effect, if you look for it.

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I was 19 I worked as a welder in a structural steel shop. It was really a dangerous place, but I was young and ignorant and just happy to have a job. We got in a big shipment of iron wideflange beams. 40ft lengths, probably 24" wide and roughly 120lbs a foot or so. The guys stacked it up inside the shop with railroad ties as dunnage between each layer. It was probably stacked 15 or 20 feet high. My work area was right next to the pile.

We all go to lunch and sit at a picknick table on the outside of the building. It was literally 5 feet away from my work area on the other side of the wall. All the sudden, we hear this horrendous cracking noise and we knew the iron was coming down inside. We ran like hell to get away from the wall in case it came through. Went to check it out after the earthquake, and there were probably six forty foot wideflange beams laying where I had been working not 5 minutes before. The railroad ties (four of em) had been sheared in half like it had been done with a chainsaw. The falling beams literally squashed my 600 amp welder down to the thickness of a pancake. I don't have to explain what would have happened to me had I been there. There would have been no escape.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
A friend once told me that believing in God is not unlike believing in wind. You cannot see the air, but you can see the waves on the water and the rustling of the trees. You can see the effect, if you look for it.

The same holds true for evil,you don't see it but you sure see it's effects using PEOPLE.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seems He's pushing me into just as many problems and pitfalls as He's nudging me out of. :icon_scratch:

HE only puts you in those situations that you can handle......which is a Blessing...! Think of your Trials and Tribulations as Tests...! Remember, not passing a TEST, means you'll have to take-it-AGAIN...! :p

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had three close calls while driving, one just a month ago. Here in Michigan, they will turn a two-way stop into a four-way stop without using lights. They just put up Stop signs and expect people that have been driving on these roads for years to now stop instead of driving through the intersection going 50 mph. When I come up to these intersections now, I always look and make sure the oncoming cars stop.

Three times, I waited at the stop sign and had cars roar through the intersection. The most recent one, I saw a SUV coming up fast and she blew right through. They would have T-Boned me and I know I would not be here right now if I had pulled out. Thank-you God for watching out for me!

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
In 1965, I was stationed at Fort Lewis. I had been in the 32nd Artillery in North Fort, but a bunch of us escaped to Crash Rescue at Gray Air Base in South Fort.

Probably in August 1965, a buddy from Far Rockway Beach and I took our weekend passes and drove to the resort on the south side of Mt. Rainier. It was a beautiful day, and the only time I ever saw the mountain with almost all the snow melted off. The only snow was small bits under rocks, etcetera.

Hank and I walked up on the grass, over by the glacier, then across the grass to the rocks which are the upper part of the mountain. It is still a long way to the summit area. On a wild impulse that can only be explained by testosterone, we decided to walk up a way. Instead of following those trails which wind around and around, probably for miles, I raised my arm and pointed up; the mountain as far as we could say, and that is where we went.

At age 23, we were as strong as we would ever be. We charged up that mountain, jumping over small rocks, and going around small ones. After several hours, we found ourselves with no where else to go. The top is not flat, but gradually sloping up as it goes north. But, we thought it would take us another hour round trip to cross the summit area to the peak, so we looked around, then went back down, hoping to get there before dark. We did.

If you have never been to the top of a mountain, I don't know how to explain it. We could see a very long ways, and it is an exciting experience. The story of my life; my camera was broken so, unlike Halliburton on Mount Fuji, we have no photos. But, I will never forget that afternoon. Everything went perfectly.

So, why am I including an event with no bad moments ,in this thread? Fifty years later, I finally found a video on Youtube which shows the summit area, albeit covered with snow, and learned we could have encountered sixty mile hour winds and freezing rains, with no more than 15 minutes notice. Only by the grace of God did Hank and I survive that climb, and we were so stupid we didn't suspect a thing.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HE only puts you in those situations that you can handle......which is a Blessing...! Think of your Trials and Tribulations as Tests...! Remember, not passing a TEST, means you'll have to take-it-AGAIN...! :p

I used to think that He allowed these things to happen so that He could see how I would react.but then I realized that He was all knowing and they were for me to see how I would react LOL. Sometimes very poorly.

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me, every day is a blessing and a gift from God. I've had several brushes with death, and I'm still here. Moral of the story is to live each day as if it was your last, and to never take this wonderful life we have for granted.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread