First Detector Help Please ??

Pikeslumber

Greenie
Feb 26, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a question if anyone wants to share their experience or expertise, I'm looking for my first detector. I am interested in hunting mostly fields, parks, churchs, old home places, etc. I will be detecting in areas that have a lot of trash so discrimination and being able to block out a lot of that would be great. I want to buy a used detector because I believe I can get a better unit for my money. I guess along with the above importance to me would be good depth, discrimination, etc. I will not be around water and will be looking primarily for old coins.
I have read a lot but wondering about personal experiences. I have looked at the following as possibilities.

Teknetics Patriot
Teknetics Delta 4000
Teknetics EuroPro
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Vaquero
Garrett Ace line, can't afford the AT
Fisher F4 or F5
Minelab xterra 305

Any thoughts on the above or something I'm missing? Thanks

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome! First sit down and think about the REAL costs. Proper hand digger $25-$50; Kneepads $12-$40; Gloves $12-$25; Finds Bag $5-$20; Handheld Pinpointer $50-$120; Detetector $$$

Get what you can afford. They all find good stuff to around 6"-8". Big Silver & Gold!:skullflag:

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Vaquero is a serious machine it doesn't have VDI but is has very fast recovery and very good unmasking. You can't go wrong with the Cibola either (FYI there may be one still for sale in the classifieds section).
Those machines are super light, easy to use, great depth (as good as some high end machines) and they don't miss much at all. You can pick those two machines up for under $300 dollars used and at that price you can't go wrong.

Always heard pretty good things about the F5 as well if you must have VDI.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
eman1000 is correct. Those Tesoros do very well. I found my first gold coin with a Cibola. I still have it. The Cibola has no ground balance. I can state personally the Vaquero does go deeper and you can ground balance it.

Both are extremely light weight. The AT Pro weighs a lot more than either Tesoro. A lot of folks do what Terry does, including me, we go out and buy accessories. Depending where you dig, some digging tools are readily accessible at a hardware store. My first shovel was a WWII vintage folding army shovel. (I don't do parks). I used an old 7" long knife for a digger for awhile.

I have a nice pro digging tool now but don't ever use it. For a long time I used a nail apron, but some days I just shove stuff in my pockets. My gloves are the $3.99 kind at the convenience store, when I wear them out, I get a new pair. I do not use knee pads. I don't get down on the ground - don't think I'd get up again.

See if you can find a local dealer to test drive a machine you're interested in. You'll get lots of opinions, best to try one out if at all possible.

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For the money the White's TreasureMaster is a nice machine. My girlfriend uses one and she found these seated coins with it. The quarter was 9 inches deep so it'll get the silver for you. It's lightweight and runs on only two AA batteries. DSCN2359.JPG IMG_0138.JPG

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use my MXT for 90% of my detecting, very good detector, well balanced, and you can find them pre owned for decent price sometimes, but the Garrett Ace series is a good choice, the architectural profile is smaller on those and Tesoro's vs. the MXT.
You may also like the Minelab Equinox.
Jon :occasion14: :headbang:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
check this F2 out that is for sale here on Tnet, it comes with 2 coils. You can't beat the price. The F2 is a great little machine and could have found the majority of my keeper finds since they were between 4 to 7 inches deep. This will allow you to buy a nice pinpointer and other accessories.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/treasure-related-stuff-sale/589147-fisher-f2-metal-detector-w-8-concentric-4-sniper-coils-2.html

I use an 88 cent nail apron for my finds, trash on the left and coins.keepers on the right. Gloves can be had for about a buck a pair at Lowes if you buy a 5 pack.

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
By the way I did swing the F4 as my second machine and never used the all metal mode which is the only mode which allows the ground balance to work. I am not a fan of VCO tones that are used in most machines in all metal mode. The F2 is an F4 without GB capabilities.

I still have an F2, great little machine for the price, I bought mine used locally for about the price the for sale here is going for.

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Pikeslumber, "Welcome" Terry, Smokey and Loco are great sources of information on here, if you ever have any questions on things. On your list the Teknetics Patriot is probably the hottest running detector, (Its a re-branded Fisher F70) The Tesorro stuff is excellent too, but the company is out of business now and only following up on certain warranty claims. That said their Machines have a history of great quality, so I don't think buying one is anything to worry about. They can be had well discounted on new machines. The F4 is a good machine I loved mine when I had it, and like Loco I love the F2 had one for years, a close fried has mine now. I like the accessory advice you have been given and here is where I'll add to it. What ever machine you get, get one that has a selection of accessories. Coils will be the main thing but after market rods and face plate covers are now being made for some. If you buy right/correct now it can save you latter. When its time to advance sometimes its a simple case of adding an accessory, a new coil can create a complete change in almost any detector and this topic is not brought up enough on here in my opinion. Don't give in to who says what, detectorists are more band loyal than truck enthusiasts. Ford Dodge or Chevy which is better? Well their all trucks!! So too are metal detectors, buy based on what you will do and be looking for, there is no such thing as a one perfect machine over another.
Good Luck!
Stay Gold!
Opie

WyoMike

Sep 21, 2013
Wyoming -- Kansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO
BH Discovery 3300
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just make sure it is a machine that you are comfortable with, because you are going to spend a lot of hours to learn what it is telling you.

Papalittle

Apr 17, 2013
Hardy, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Eurotek Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Ace 250 Teknetics Delta4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Teknetics Delta 4000
Teknetics EuroPro

Love em both

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I haven't used any of the ones on your list, so I can't comment on those. I see some people mentioning the F2, and I can say with confidence that it is a great metal detector, I used it for a year and didn't have a problem with it. Teknetics is also a great company, I've heard plenty of good things about the models you mentioned too. They also have incredible great customer service, once I sent in my T2 for an $80 tune up and upgrade, and they sent me back a brand new one. I also once had a coil problem, and they also cleaned up my whole metal detector, all covered by warranty

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had 6 from the 8 detectors you want to choose from (did not have Xterra 305 and Patriot)
The 2 i liked best where the Teknetics Eurotek Pro with the 11" coil and the Tesoro Vaquero. If you don't mind to go analog, the Vaquero would be the best choice. But i have to say that i also hear good things about the Teknetics Patriot to.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread