When Does Your Metal Detecting Season Typically Start and Finish?

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in Illinois, and I usually have to take January off. I move to the woods when the ground is frozen elsewhere. The cold Illinois temps don't bother me, as I've worked outside all of my life. As long as I can sink my shovel into the ground, I'm going !

Capone

Apr 28, 2017
MINNESOTA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mid-November to early April is typically frozen solid ground here In Minnesota. Undiggable. Hoping to get into some wooded areas in a few weeks.

SCdigger

Apr 6, 2003
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher F75/F70, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In SC...January 2 to mid March.

Upham

Feb 27, 2019
North Attleboro, MA
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, AT Max & ATX (new)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out today. Some areas are frozen to about 3-4” others when you wipe away the snow it’s soft ground. I only found nails and washers IMG_1705.JPG IMG_1706.JPG IMG_1709.JPG

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Went out today. Some areas are frozen to about 3-4” others when you wipe away the snow it’s soft ground. I only found nails and washers View attachment 1686739 View attachment 1686740 View attachment 1686741

That's how the woods look here right now too, except with a bit more snow. I tried to metal detect in those conditions, but the snow made it so it was hard to find anything deeper than a few inches, and the ground was completely frozen except for in a few areas. Good job getting out there and being able to find stuff!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread