Dec 12, 2018
NW FL
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI Beach Hunter
Equinox 800, Equinox 600
XP DEUS, XP DEUS 2
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Here in Ft Lauderdale. Found an area, small, on the beach, about 30’ x 30’, maybe smaller, I have picked up over 200 coins in this small area. Pennies, nickels, dimes, and only one quarter. Dates on these coins vary from the mid 50’s to 2017. Digging 2-3 coins at a time. Using whites tdi beach hunter. Ever time I set coil down it’s hits a target. Got tired of digging, literally wore out. Could it be someone may have lost something and trying to mask it?

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe just helping out on the mortgage.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... Could it be someone may have lost something and trying to mask it?

Huh ? Why would someone think to-such-conclusions (eg.: "someone might come along with a detector, I guess I better seed 200 clad coins over the spot, so they don't find my item..." ) The chain-of-events/motives seems highly implausible.

There is a spot, within 30 minutes of me, that I have pulled well over 1000 coins in an area no bigger than your living room. Any day I choose to hunt there, I can pull 30 or 40 more coins (used to be 100 at-a-pop) anytime I care to hunt there. Trouble is: It's all modern (with an occasional wheatie or silver dime). So I don't bother.

For the spot, in my case, it's below the scenic outlook of high-end restaurants on a wharf, that over-looks a little mud-flat beach below. And for 40-ish years, coins roll off the wharf (tips from the tables/deck above) and rain down on the little cove below. As you can see, a perfectly logical explanation.

Don't get "lost in the example". But just saying: A conspiracy theory need-not-be-applied necessarily.

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Huh ? Why would someone think to-such-conclusions (eg.: "someone might come along with a detector, I guess I better seed 200 clad coins over the spot, so they don't find my item..." ) The chain-of-events/motives seems highly implausible.

There is a spot, within 30 minutes of me, that I have pulled well over 1000 coins in an area no bigger than your living room. Any day I choose to hunt there, I can pull 30 or 40 more coins (used to be 100 at-a-pop) anytime I care to hunt there. Trouble is: It's all modern (with an occasional wheatie or silver dime). So I don't bother.

For the spot, in my case, it's below the scenic outlook of high-end restaurants on a wharf, that over-looks a little mud-flat beach below. And for 40-ish years, coins roll off the wharf (tips from the tables/deck above) and rain down on the little cove below. As you can see, a perfectly logical explanation.

Don't get "lost in the example". But just saying: A conspiracy theory need-not-be-applied necessarily.

I feel you Tom!
When they closed down all the local drive-in movie theaters back in the day, one of those concession stands had been collecting change of patrons since the 40's.
I dug 1300 coins in a 20x20 piece of grass.
Ended up just shoveling and sifting the dirt.
Detector went nuts lol.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... Detector went nuts lol.

BC1969, thanx for the input. And here is another example explanation (so that "conspiracy theories" need-not-be the first conclusion someone needs to come to) :

Where I live, in CA , has a lot of leaf veggie Ag. industry. Thus ......... it has attracted a lot of immigrant farm-workers , for the last 60+ yrs, from Mexico. Thus the town I live in , is easily 50% hispanic. And one of the cultural trends they have is: Pinata's , at their festivals and parties for kids. Right ? And in addition to putting candy in the pinata, another favorite, to stuff in with the candy is: Coins. They'll put 100+ coins (pennies, dimes, nickels, quarters, etc...) in with the candy as well. So when the pinata finally breaks, all the kids scurry to the ground trying to scoop up all the stuff, eh ?

And there is a particular county park, that is a big draw in that community. And a giant stately oak tree in the middle of the group event area. With a large conspicuous limbs that stick out over the grassy lawns.

A buddy of mine was hunting this park one day, and his detector started to go nuts under the tree's larger limbs. So many coins, that he could barely pinpoint one-from-another. He eventually just stayed on his hands and knees for a few hours, digging non-stop coins with his pinpointer. All clad, but as fast as he could dig. He ended up with something 300 coins, and finally just got tired of digging.

He figured out that it was because of the pinata phenomenon. Since it was plain to see he was directly beneath the giant limbs, from which pinatas would have been hung. Mystery solved. No "conspiracy theory" needed. Aren't "more plausible explanations" wonderful ? (yet, ..... I agree .... less fun to muse over, haha)

Last edited:

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
BC1969, thanx for the input. And here is another example explanation (so that "conspiracy theories" need-not-be the first conclusion someone needs to come to) :

Where I live, in CA , has a lot of leaf veggie Ag. industry. Thus ......... it has attracted a lot of immigrant farm-workers , for the last 60+ yrs, from Mexico. Thus the town I live in , is easily 50% hispanic. And one of the cultural trends they have is: Pinata's , at their festivals and parties for kids. Right ? And in addition to putting candy in the pinata, another favorite, to stuff in with the candy is: Coins. They'll put 100+ coins (pennies, dimes, nickels, quarters, etc...) in with the candy as well. So when the pinata finally breaks, all the kids scurry to the ground trying to scoop up all the stuff, eh ?

And there is a particular county park, that is a big draw in that community. And a giant stately oak tree in the middle of the group event area. With a large conspicuous limbs that stick out over the grassy lawns.

A buddy of mine was hunting this park one day, and his detector started to go nuts under the tree's larger limbs. So many coins, that he could barely pinpoint one-from-another. He eventually just stayed on his hands and knees for a few hours, digging non-stop coins with his pinpointer. All clad, but as fast as he could dig. He ended up with something 300 coins, and finally just got tired of digging.

He figured out that it was because of the pinata phenomenon. Since it was plain to see he was directly beneath the giant limbs, from which pinatas would have been hung. Mystery solved. No "conspiracy theory" needed. Aren't "more plausible explanations" wonderful ? (yet, ..... I agree .... less fun to muse over, haha)

Great story Tom.
Even better the points that you made.
You're one of those guys that I'd love to just sit down and have a beer and just talk.

BC

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A sand pile would serve the same purpose as a small sawdust pile created in parks by an uncle (and others of course) for kids to "hunt" in.
Coins,trinkets,tootsie rolls , ect.

Or , you just found a pocket of accumulation created over time.

A visitor detecting a local pounded for decades park and I estimated the coins coming out of it would equal several buckets full. Of course bucket sizes would be next on debate...L.o.l..
There are still coins there. And still "pockets" of them clustered in small areas.

Got on some tokens one day in a small area when conditions were just right , (for me anyways) and wondered how they had been left so long. It happens though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread