Open carry pistol while metal detekting

Nevada Prospector

Aug 16, 2017
Southern Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher GB II, Etc, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Other
My brother and I were detecting along a gold bearing creek one day when we came upon a black bear. I ran to my truck for my gun and the bear let out a snort and ran for the woods. My brother is always giving me a bad time because I don't pack my .44 with me. If I do carry it's in my pack where I won't be able to access it very quickly but at least it's there just in case.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi You wouldn't put a bill board with a picture of Winnie The Pooh Bear up. The next morning there would 500 bullet holes in it . TP

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was metal detecting at night a few years ago. Distinctly heard large kittens playing around in the brush, not 20' away.
I only had a digging tool with me. Decided to call it a night.
Next morning my dad sighted a mountain lion with two little ones right near where I was detecting.
I've also come face to face with a lion a different time. It didn't take off running, rather it stood there considered it's options, then slowly walked away. My dog knew better than to move away from my side. What are the odds of that? It's only happened once so far.

Does not hurt to carry in my opinion.

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was sitting in a lawn chair in the dark once (watching a forest fire burning on the ridge above).
Thought I saw something moving in the dark..flipped on the flashlight and saw a bear about 15' away walking towards me.
I hollered and it ran off. I went and got a shotgun just in case.
It walked back up on me twice more, but always retreated when I lighted him up.
I think I was between him and a plum tree.
That kind of stuff doesn't happen to most people I don't think.

Last edited:

holepuncher

Oct 5, 2014
Amboy Wa.
Detector(s) used
AT Pro. Equinox.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My brother and I were detecting along a gold bearing creek one day when we came upon a black bear. I ran to my truck for my gun and the bear let out a snort and ran for the woods. My brother is always giving me a bad time because I don't pack my .44 with me. If I do carry it's in my pack where I won't be able to access it very quickly but at least it's there just in case.

If you can not access it quickly and need it you might as well not have it.

holepuncher

Oct 5, 2014
Amboy Wa.
Detector(s) used
AT Pro. Equinox.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi The chances of being bitten or attacked is 2.4 million to 1 in the USA . The risk goes higher if live in the area where bears dwell to 2400 to 1 . Again minimum factor to zero factor .

Just hope you are not the unlucky 1.

PirateLabs

Feb 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was born and raised in NJ and thank God I got out of there some 35 years ago. I live in Kentucky where open carry is in the state Constitution and, they just passed a bill last week to allow anyone qualified to open carry (of legal age, not a felon ) to carry concealed without a license. This is great as now I will not have to renew my license which I have had for some 20 years. Now, after the Governor signs this bill which he said he will, we can open or conceal carry our weapons! God bless Kentucky. I feel sorry for those of you still living in states where you are losing your rights, and get to pay high taxes as well.

Bill

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Read a statistic written in 1987 (DOJ), that the odds of becoming a murder victim at some point in your life was 1 in 133!
It doesn't say when or where it might happen..could be in the woods down by the creek I guess.
https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/llv.pdf
I wonder if they have issued updated statistics?

EDIT: 1997 stat. 1 in 240!
Mexican drug cartel is probably a decent thing to prepare for considering the odds.

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm really not worried about wild animals when I detect. How hard is it to push a snake out of the way with your coil?

Humans are by far the scariest thing hereabouts. Seems they cause more fatalities than sharks and rattlesnakes and lions and tigers and bears combined.

OreCart

Jan 23, 2019
Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A person's best defense is what is between their ears and behind their eyes.

99-1/2% of the time, making noise will scare a wild animal away, and people can talk your way out of 99-1/2% of the incidents with people if they are smart about it. I am not that gutsy, but when I confronted those armed hunters when I was unarmed, it came down to common sense; what are they going to do, kill me over the right to hunt deer?

People live their lives based too much on fear.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was going to carry a 9mm down to south Atlanta in a rough part of the ghetto where all the old good parks are located. then I pictured myself getting into a gun battle with a drug dealing gang and figure the odds were in their favor so I just don't even go to that part of town. Bears, are another story. Where are you hunting with bears? Most national and state parks where you find bears you cannot metal detect. Have you just thought about a heavy duty can of bear mace?

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you choose to carry in the woods, make sure and select an appropriate holster.
They are not all made the same. Your not going to want your weapon in the same area as your pouch and digging tools. Good retention..safe carry considering brush and limbs. Hammer should be strapped.

Last edited:

mikeg71

Tenderfoot
Mar 9, 2019
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 and Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always carry a 40cal unless I'm on school property. I'll open carry if I'm out in the country.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a city dweller. My attitude on guns is that they are nothing but trouble. I've had some close calls in really stupid situations where I could have been shot or killed due to stupid gun owners. 1) While I was on the phone my mothers boyfriend who I barely knew handed me a loaded pistol that had no safety on it. without telling me it was a real gun. I had no prior knowledge that he owned a gun. He's lucky I didn't pull the trigger by mistake thinking it was a toy.
2) I was at my friends house and he was showing myself and another guy an AK47 that he had. I went to the bathroom. I stepped out of the bathroom and the other guy was pointing the AK47 at my chest and pulled the trigger as a joke. The amount of times that scenario unfolded in other situations and the "unloaded" gun was actually loaded but they didn't know it or made a mistake happens all the time.
I've also had someone attempt to rob me with a gun (turned out to be a bb gun but still pretty scary), and I was beat up for being in the wrong place at the wrong time by two guys dressed in black. I have a good feeling that if I had a gun I would have shot them. Looking back it was bad to be defenseless in those situations but I made it out okay. I can't say it would have ended well if I had a gun. Some of you would think that those last two situations should have inspired me to get a gun. Nope I'm all set with not owning a gun. Take a look at the stats you put your life and your families life on the line by owning one. As for protection from bears? I don't have a good answer on that. I think owning a gun is due to a need by people to feel powerful. I was at a business conference in CA. and a fellow businessman admitted that he felt absolutely naked because he didn't have his gun on him as he wasn't allowed to leave his state with it. It's true we live in a world of sick psychopaths I just don't want to be part of the problem.

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any of you guys open carrey a pistol while metal detekting, Im looking at getting a p320 M17 for protection aginst black bears, 17 rounds 9mm should be enough rounds to scare him away and have enough rounds left over if he doesnt scare easily, Black bears around here are usally around 250lbs....

Your question was "protection against black bears". But so many posters got side tracked and commented about protection against people. I will stick to your bear question. Around here black bears do go over 600 lbs. I have been hiking for more then 5 decades...alone. I have seen bear, bobcat and coyotes. I have never carried a gun while out in the woods, and never felt threatened by them. Sure, you're going to say, what about the rabid animal. Those chances are very slim. What about the bear with cubs. I have seen them and mama chased the cubs up a tree while she stood guard. I changed my course and all was fine. Animals are more afraid of you then you are of them. Well maybe some people, but not all.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread