Important detecting questions.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It really primarily depends on how prone the creek, river, or stream is to flooding and how much trash gets deposited by said floods.

I've got lucky a few times and found great stuff along creeks and rivers but more often than not they are usually loaded with cans and flood debris. The only way to really find out is to get out there and start digging.

Last edited:

Darke

Aug 16, 2018
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My results have been the same as Icewing's. But it's not my favorite hunting area. But people who put a lot of time and effort into it like Beau Ouimette (aquachigger) have good results.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Along the Tuscarawas river near Dover Ohio is a High on the bank old Indial trail. I was just wondering if anyone else has detected a spot like this. I guess i was looking fro pointers > Anyone ???

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well , you just can't know until you get out there and work it for a while - asking others if they have had good results hunting areas along rivers , will obviously get vastly different responses . Assuming you have legal access to the land , go hunt the heck out of it then " inform us " as to your results .

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Gare, there are effects that take place along these embankments or hillsides, any steep inclined location. Targets can roll off the location due to the natural flow of the surface (erosion, wash area) so the obvious bottom area is the better hunt location. This is where river detectorists go in the water looking for targets or they magnet fish the location. My location has snow pack moments on some areas where the snow pack actually slides off the hill side along locations or the weight of the snow packs the area down more. I take you question to include how or where to hunt these locations?
Stay Gold
Opie

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
people are drawn to water ,fishing , camping , swimming . I have found trails along streams and rivers productive...

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry, Damn Phone! Anyway, consider the climate, natural lay of the land and soil type. Include other possible issues like livestock in the area or irrigation of fields or earth quake prone location with liquefaction issues, (The targets will fall out of the detection zone) use old maps to see if the river changed course and if it did, How? where? when?
Anyway good luck!
Opie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread