Metal Detecting
Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I still use the old method of X-marks the spot by sweeping my coil over the target in an X pattern and determining where the target is located. I mainly use the pinpoint function to ID depth.

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Just to throw it out there. I think I had to do a factory reset when changing coils on the ATP. Not familiar with the 200 tho.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman your not the only one. It can be pretty frustrating at first - Two options

1. - Loco mentioned already the X method and this is works fine (After you know the sweet spot on your DD coil that a coin is usually under)

2. - Wiggle method - I prefer this because you don't have to move 90 degrees. Find the target and then wiggle the coil back to you until you don't hear it anymore then move forward slow until you hear it and it is usually right at the front of the coil.
This can be affected by depth though and takes a few hours to learn but if the target is shallow you will get a good tone/vdi at the front of the DD coil if the target is deeper it will be closer to the center of the shaft.

Small price to pay to separate trash -

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to learn where the "sweet spot" of your coil is when locating. here is one way.

Take about 4-6 pieces of cardboard maybe 2' wide and tape a coin on each one in different locations that are not in the center. Toss the cardboard pieces in your yard coin side down so you do not know where the coins are. Now locate each one where you think the coins are and mark with pencil then turn cardboard over and see where your mark is compared to the actual location. Once you learn where the sweet spot is locating will be a lot easier.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to learn where the "sweet spot" of your coil is when locating. here is one way.

Take about 4-6 pieces of cardboard maybe 2' wide and tape a coin on each one in different locations that are not in the center. Toss the cardboard pieces in your yard coin side down so you do not know where the coins are. Now locate each one where you think the coins are and mark with pencil then turn cardboard over and see where your mark is compared to the actual location. Once you learn where the sweet spot is locating will be a lot easier.

Very good advice here

OP
OP
SandMan1130

SandMan1130

Mar 6, 2019
Delray Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All

Thanks for the great advice.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Use the "DD Wiggle" for DD coils. I believe there are YouTube videos demonstrating the technique...it's the one I use. :occasion14: On concentric coils the target "sweet spot" in at the inner coil's center. :icon_thumleft:

Got-Good-Tones

Mar 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can also do the 360 degree move...:laughing7: :laughing7: Scan...adjust angle of swing by about 10-15 degrees...scan again...adjust angle of swing by about 10-15 degrees...repeat until full 360 degrees circle has been covered...make note of where the sweet spot is located on the coil for future reference...:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Got-Good-Tones

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Sandman, slow the swing speed on the Ace 200, and go heel to toe on the coil. When you hit the target, move the coil up still going over the target area, the goal here is to get the bottom of the coil to where its just picking up the target, then as you bring the coil down to the point you loose the target it will now be at the top of the coil. You can pivot to the opposite side and repeat this if you really want to be exact or dig a smaller plug.
Good luck!
Stay Gold!
Opie

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO .
Keep practicing or use a method suggested above, I always used concentric coils for 17+ years then got my g2+ & pin-pointing with it's DD was "Different " I found the sweet spot but then after a year & a half the sweet spot seemed to move to my 6 o-clock by a tad over an inch ???

You should not have to worry about that tho, you will have it down in no time. GL

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like Digger460 said do a factory reset.When you change coils your detector needs to recognize the new coil.Just hold the power button down until it beeps it will reset your machine, at least that is how mine resets. Check your manual for how you reset your machine.You will have to put new settings and need to do this each time you switch coils.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread