Layer of charcoal mixed with finds

Kevin75931

Oct 9, 2016
Jasper Texas
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Time period of dig: Early 1900s, say 1900 - to at most 1930s.

Combing an old homestead site that dates to the early 1900s and got a hit. Showed to be carbon steel. oh well, let's dig it up anyway.

Found a bunch of glass, complete bottom of a jar, top of a mason jar... etc. Something was under the glass so I kept digging. Mixed in with some of the glass was a layer of charcoal, a thick layer. Some of charcoal was intact and was a little larger than a nickle.

Layer of charcoal is maybe 4 inches thick?

Under all of that I found some kind of water manifold - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/603019-water-exhaust-mainfold.html Not sure of the manifold came off a car, or steam engine at the local sawmill that burned down in 1925. The manifold had pieces of charcoal in the dirt attached to it.

Maybe this was where someone threw out the ash from their fireplace or wood stove? Had to be a stove because there is no evidence of a brick fireplace.

One thought is a house burned down at the location? Maybe a barn burned down?

People tended to save their jars, reuse them and replace the lids when canning. So much broken glass, and a wide variety of glass does not make real sense. So far I have found maybe 6 or 8 different types of glass. Some of the glass is straight, line the window pane. Some of the glass looks very nice for the time period and area.

When it was all said and done, and I was tired of digging, the hole was around 14 inches deep, and the layer of charcoal was around 4 inches thick. It would seem someone had to throw a lot of ash out in that location for a long period of time.

Not like the winters here in southeast Texas get "that" cold.

Second thought, maybe this was a smokehouse, and the glass and manifold was trash pile near the smokehouse?

Next time I dig the area I will take pictures of the hole and charcoal.

Thoughts, ideas?

Anyone else find stuff like this?

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
almost sounds like a filter of some kind.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions