Need advice

Hunter1996

Mar 22, 2019
New York
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So I ran into an issue with what to do I found one of the 6 long lost treasure/relic in my state. was said to not exist and just a rumor the issue I'm having is I can't bring it up or the state / owner can confiscate it. I've spent many years trying to find this artifact tracing out all the possible routes, and so on and so fourth I just don't want to bring it up just to loose it to the state. on top of that the relic is in really rough shape and alot bigger than predicted, and the environment offers alot of safety hazards so I guess my question is should I just bite the bullet and loose it and at least be in the paper or should I just leave it where it's at and let it be lost intill the next man that was more crazy than me finds it give me your thought please.

Last edited:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard McCDig! Take a look at Forum: New York for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

eating_popcorn_tn_final.gif
2nd - Haven't a clue what you just said! Maybe it is just me...:laughing7:

OP
OP
H

Hunter1996

Mar 22, 2019
New York
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What I'm trying to say is i finally found a lost treasure in my state that I have been searching for. the only reason I made the account is to seek advice because as I know of in my state the gov has rights to all items found on public property / Waterways . the item I found is prob a few hundred pounds and I'm not going to completely uncover the item to just lose it in the end. so with that being said is there any kind of loop hole I can go through to be able to keep the said discovered item.

Last edited:

JoeInMO

Jan 12, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunter1996, I understand what you're asking but I don't think anyone can give you a correct answer. I have no idea what you're looking for or found, or the value. If the item is valuable and unique you probably can't get away with just laying low. If it's a known item it may actually be owned by an insurance company. I know a person that recovered a pretty valuable item and it was published in the newspaper... an insurance company soon said they owned the item since they had paid a claim. He tried to fight them, but he was faced with huge legal bills and was told he would likely lose.

In your case you're worried that the government has a claim to the item. Only you can decide if the risk vs reward is worth it to you. The government can fight you without considering the cost of the fight or how long it takes.

Whatever it is... best of luck.

-Joe

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a few approaches: 1 Get somebody to help you recover it. 2 Call the media and get 15 minutes of fame / make history and share it with the world. 3 leave it which would be the worst possible move. Can you give us some kind of clue as to what it is? A picture, a description? We need to know here! We spent the time thinking about it.….haha. But seriously if the thing is in rough shape maybe it's best to notify the authorities so that it can be properly conserved instead of left to disintegrate. Also a picture / proof would be nice. This doesn't have to be like that FBI gold thread that never ends. Help us help you!

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds interesting.
If you decide to photograph this item to share with someone, use analog film so no untraceable digital footprint (location) will exist.

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have nothing to gain by leaving it in the ground but also no reason to get in a hurry. It's hard to give advice with the limited information. I'd say if it's extremely valuable, you should probably contact an appropriate lawyer and seek their advice. Taking specific advice here could lead to problems unless we happen to have someone from NY that has dealt with a similar situation.

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And just for clarification...you said you "found" it. Do you mean you've actually put your eyes on it our you just know where it is?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
And just for clarification...you said you "found" it. Do you mean you've actually put your eyes on it our you just know where it is?

Bingo. This is a common trend here. People "know" where something is. Or they "found" it. And now it's merely a matter of getting a detector that goes 6 meters deep to pinpoint it . Or overcoming govt. obstacles. In order to dig it, or regain control of it. But rest assured they "know" where it is, and/or they've "found" it. And/or they "saw" it. Eh ? And in each case: I have no doubt the persons are quite sincere.

Another recent example :

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting/602997-please-help-me-i-need-your-help.html

RTH

Sep 22, 2015
Hunterdon County NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, White's MXT, Minelab EQ800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably the best bet is to contact an attorney. They would be able to guide you as far as what the state can and can't do. You may not be able to keep it, but you may be able to get some type of recognition that may "open some doors" for you in the future.

Good Luck

OP
OP
H

Hunter1996

Mar 22, 2019
New York
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So hears an update and I will try to anwser some of your questions did I find something yes. size of it unknown guessing by what I've uncovered so far about 22 inches length and about 10 inches wide approx weight I'm guessing is 600 pounds give or take. Went and talked to a few attorneys today and I was told to lay low and keep details at a minimum they have to do alot of research. But they believe that there is a loop hole that they can use. And to anwser another question I do have pictures but was told not to release them intill, the lawyers do what they have to do was also told to stay away from the area intill things are set. I hate to keep everyone in suspense but I have my fingers crossed that it will all work out and you will see what I found soon.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
22x10 inches and weighs 600 pounds?
Is it dark matter?

OP
OP
H

Hunter1996

Mar 22, 2019
New York
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's still in muck so that's what I've uncovered so far but based on the metal and thickness that's what I'm predicting for weight.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a cannon. The State of New York claims everything found on STATE LAND over either 50 or 75 years old, I don't remember which. I knew a couple folks a long, long time ago (ca 1987) who had located, so they said, Revolutionary War cannons on private property but never recovered them, and I suppose they could still be there. They never told me where they were, not even the county but it was in New York. The inaccessibility and weight of the items made it unworthy of the effort, I suppose.

If its on private property and you take it, they can nail you for theft and destruction of property.

The publicity idea is probably best, however, if you are on private land, forget it without the landowner's permission to be there.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
In all the years you have been after this....You now seek recovery legal options? If any.
Be legal first. You are on a forum asking advice , that is my advice.

Nothing reads like keeping it would be of benefit more than photo's of it. (If legal possession is not an option.) Let a museum stabilize it and hopefully display it. With credit to you for recovery.

Congrats though. You're hunting was a success.
Hopefully you covered you digging and blended in all sign of it till your possession question is answered. And had no eyes on you while on site.

Last edited:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on whatever it is. I hope you manage to get it to a place where no one can lay claim to it, like on a piece of property that you own.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... did I find something yes. ...

Past tense found "Something" ? Or found "Something of value" ? (eg.: a treasure/goodie) .

Why does this story (lawyers, govt., grand -revealings upcoming, tips-of-icebergs, etc...) sound familiar ?

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regardless of legal issues, if you leave it you will never possess it, if you tell somebody at least you have a shot to have it, and at worst a valuable piece of history can be saved from decaying into dust. I’d see what your lawyers say then get after it

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Being from NY all I can suggest is . . . shhhhhhhh.

Depending what it is you could dig and "own" it. But lost property is never "abandoned" in NY. If it is on public property EVERYONE owns it, so you can't all by yourself.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I ran into an issue with what to do I found one of the 6 long lost treasure/relic in my state. was said to not exist and just a rumor the issue I'm having is I can't bring it up or the state / owner can confiscate it. I've spent many years trying to find this artifact tracing out all the possible routes, and so on and so fourth I just don't want to bring it up just to loose it to the state. on top of that the relic is in really rough shape and alot bigger than predicted, and the environment offers alot of safety hazards so I guess my question is should I just bite the bullet and loose it and at least be in the paper or should I just leave it where it's at and let it be lost intill the next man that was more crazy than me finds it give me your thought please.

Really. Kinda silly going public already before making a decision. See ya.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread