Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
watched a kid ( staring down at his phone as he walked) walk into a closed glass door. he managed not to drop the phone, guess he expected the door to open for him but that was what the door handle was for. I also saw a large family sitting for a meal, no talking because everyone was looking down at their phones. No talking... ever been to a big Italian get together? LOUD!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dirtlooter you are correct! :icon_thumleft:

Nowadays everyone is so preoccupied with electronic devices no real verbal words are exchanged, no eye contact and human interaction is at an all time low...sad! :dontknow:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
People five feet from each other are texting each other rather than just talking, no emotion, nothing. Don't get started about texting and driving

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No matter where you go, the people around are staring at their phones. Why do they go anywhere? There is a fellow here who walks his dog around the neighbor hood several times a day. Head bent, staring at his phone. NEVER looks up. People walk on the beach, staring at their phone. An entire family at a restaurant, all staring at their phones. People, seemingly aimless, at the store, preoccupied with their phones.

All generations have succumbed, it seems. It's like the body snatchers...don't fall asleep.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No matter where you go, the people around are staring at their phones. Why do they go anywhere? There is a fellow here who walks his dog around the neighbor hood several times a day. Head bent, staring at his phone. NEVER looks up. People walk on the beach, staring at their phone. An entire family at a restaurant, all staring at their phones. People, seemingly aimless, at the store, preoccupied with their phones.
All generations have succumbed, it seems. It's like the body snatchers...don't fall asleep.

I've refused to give in to this madness, and am happier for it.

Still have only my 2005 model LG dumb phone. It does both analog
and digital signals and has a keyboard for texting. Has a screen
big enough to read texts, but you need a magnifying glass if you want
to look at pictures.

There are no "apps". I have to know where I am by the old school
methods..like looking at street signs, or even the stars if it's a clear
night.

I didn't set up voice mail, as I'm too deaf to understand what people
are saying. Only person that ever calls or texts me is my wife.

I like it that way...:occasion14:

Nicksan

Nov 17, 2005
So. Cal.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Stock and 6" coils
Whites M6 & MXT, Super 12 & 6x8 Detech coils
Miccus Bluetooth headphones & Ratphones
Lesche
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In the future all the smart phone (I hate that term) users will be walking around staring at the ground wheather they have a phone in they`re hand or not, LOL.

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I constantly have my eyes looking down when I am out walking. No phone, just scanning the ground for lost goodies.

Nicksan

Nov 17, 2005
So. Cal.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Stock and 6" coils
Whites M6 & MXT, Super 12 & 6x8 Detech coils
Miccus Bluetooth headphones & Ratphones
Lesche
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I constantly have my eyes looking down when I am out walking. No phone, just scanning the ground for lost goodies.

I guess us detectorists will have the same affliction................. LOL

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Us detectorists do have the same affliction. We are all looking down at the ground and at our electronic devices too right? Isn't this thread a little like the pot calling the kettle black? Granted, I'm not looking at my detector when I'm at the dinner table, but we all have our hobbies.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
i don't have a phone and i don't want one

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
There is little reason to stare at a detector. It also makes noises, so just listen and you won't walk into a tree.

But these devices called smart whatevers might be changing the way many humans interact with the world.
We don't know yet what the end results might be but I suspect humans are being re-wired to create a better human thru computers.
I see little difference between carbon based and silicon based intelligence.
Bill Gates said in an interview that there is good reason to FEAR computers. I got the impression he might be referring
to the likes of the HAL 9000 computer from 2001 A Space Odyssey.
The future of computers being design/build by computers requiring little or no input from humans will create something like Hal 9000.
If any here don't know Hal 9000, take a evening off and watch 2001. Science fiction has a way of predicting futures.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've watched young to very young children trying to get the attention of their "Mother, yes that would be Mom" and not succeeding as she was to Busy texting on the phone. And when that child is old enough to have a cell phone they will be trained to not even talk to its parents, who would want to!

It is a sad thing that is taking place in the U.S.A and other countries, very weak personal relationships and very weak human caring about others.

Not a good outlook out there..............63bkpkr

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I look down at the ground too while detecting but I'm not in some sort of trance oblivious to my surroundings. I used to respond to people who spoke to me on the street but not so much anymore after being told "I'm on my phone!!". In the break room it's quiet and they all have those phones out, and last week I finally asked a lady what she did on that. She showed me a video of a man dancing and falling down. I guess it was the popular thing making the rounds. But you know, back when I was actually able to get a break or regular lunch I was quiet and oblivious to others too. I worked crossword puzzles, so maybe I shouldn't judge people today, haha!

OP
OP
nomad 11

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
AND THEN ? what about these people with these blue tooths that walk up around your area ? and you start thinking to yourself ? are you talking to me ? or should i just go about my business and ignore them ? yeah ignore them they'll go away. and i can stay in my own little world. yeah yeah ok good

OP
OP
nomad 11

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
In the future all the smart phone (I hate that term) users will be walking around staring at the ground wheather they have a phone in they`re hand or not, LOL.
i'm not smart enough to use a smartphone. so i have a perfect excuse not to vote.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Hears one for ya!
This morning paper. Kliff (ya Kliff) Kingsbury, the AZ Cardinals first year coach is going to give his players a "cellphone break"
"Their itching to get at those things. You start to see kind of hands twitching and legs shaking, and you know they need to get to that social media fix." So every 25-30 min, he's going to turn the players loose on their cell phones.
Now by the coach's own words, a fix, leads to conclude an addiction. We are fairly sure addictions aren't helped or cured by supplying more of what ever the addiction is.

Imagine being in a room with a bunch of guys twitching and legs shaking because they needed their "fix"? This is too sad.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread