Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 64
Like Tree122Likes

Thread: Who are the people here that hunt the legendary lost treasures?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #16

    Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    13,524
    9856 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Jay View Post
    ....But don't ask me if I've ever found one of those legendary treasures because that's strictly between me and the IRS....
    This is my favorite, when it comes to discussion of "big ticket treasures" (and the oft-times unconventional methods that seem to go hand-in-hand with finding them) : When you press the believers/advocates for examples (proofs), then .... it's like here: The suggestion (albeit veiled) that big-ticket treasures are being found. But ... lo & behold : They don't show or tell anyone. Because they're afraid that the I.R.S. might come to claim taxes.

    Another variation on this is: They're afraid that thieves might target their house. Right ?

    But oddly: There is always accounts, made public , of treasures found. Even here on T'net, some mighty nice stuff (even caches) makes it's way on to our show & tell "Today's find" section (yes, even caches sometimes). Did any of them ever have the IRS come knocking on their door ? Were any of them the target of thieves ? And bigger ones found, for example, in the news, by const. workers. Or by someone walking their dog. Or by some dude named Mel Fisher, etc.... Doesn't seem to have stopped them from claiming their well-deserved bragging rights.
    Real of Tayopa likes this.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

  2. #17
    Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2012
    Blackfoot, Idaho
    White's GMT, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO 'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
    2,527
    2970 times
    Prospecting
    Anybody that claimed bragging rights to a truly large treasure hoard would be a fool. Or, so rich they didn't care about the money.
    Robert Ringer said it very well in one of his books..."your ego is the biggest overhead item you have" or words to that effect.
    Jim
    solx nys and Real of Tayopa like this.

  3. #18

    Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    13,524
    9856 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho View Post
    Anybody that claimed bragging rights to a truly large treasure hoard would be a fool. ...
    Ok then. So can we assume that big-ticket treasures are being found frequently. But that we just don't hear about them, because it was non-fools who found them. Right ? (and thus kept quiet). And those who HAVE told about finding them (headlines we read in the newspapers) were "fools". Right ?

    But: Rest assured big ticket treasure legend stuff is getting found. But no-proof need-be-forthcoming. Because of the dastardly IRS. Right ?

    Just making sure I understand you correctly.
    Real of Tayopa likes this.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

  4. #19

    Mar 2016
    1,561
    2349 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Frequently?
    Real of Tayopa likes this.
    All treasures found with permission on private property or on active mining claims.

  5. #20

    Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    13,524
    9856 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMAUDIGGER View Post
    Frequently?
    Even "infrequently". The point remains: It seems to be the easy "out". And sure: There are sure to be people who've stayed "hush hush". But .... on the other hand .... they can't have their cake and eat it too. Ie.: to claim "treasure" (via their own skills, or via their chosen TH'ing method), but then turn right around and say: "Sorry, no proof forthcoming".
    Real of Tayopa likes this.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

  6. #21
    us
    Feb 2019
    Burlington NC
    AT Max
    37
    66 times
    Metal Detecting
    we have a treasure legend in our town (Burlington NC) that started off with someone finding gold while plowing. It was found in the early 1900's and is pretty well documented. A man struck gold while plowing his field. There was a black man helping him to whom he gave some of the gold. When the black man started to spend the gold a lot of questions came up and the truth came out. The man who struck the gold with his plow packed up his family and left town. The rest of the town started digging up the farmers field but no more gold was found. Many more stories and legends came out of this one story. Now there seem to be 10 or 12 pots of Confederate gold missing somewhere along the railroad tracks in Alamance county. Makes for fun reading. It's all in the May Memorial Library in Burlington.
    Real of Tayopa likes this.

  7. #22
    Charter Member
    us
    IT COULD BE A VALUABLE PRIZE "YOU NEVER KNOW"

    Nov 2006
    N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
    ** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
    8,147
    2651 times
    ANY TYPE OF TREASURE HUNTING THAT PUTS MONEY IN MY POCKET
    I do not hunt legendary lost treasure reason ... I think it has all been found by some one by now and never told about . And some of the stories are just myths.
    Real of Tayopa likes this.
    ".. Let no one know what , when , or where ..'

  8. #23
    us
    Aug 2017
    Southern Oregon
    Whites MXT Pro, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher GB II, Etc, Etc.
    61
    114 times
    Relic & Nugget hunting, but I do it all
    I Don't have much interest in Lost Legends but my brother does. I have helped him search for a couple of them just for the fun of it. We haven't found any lost treasure but we have found some very interesting places in the process. At one area it was teeming with elk and I managed to shoot a bull elk on two different occasions. Without searching for the lost gold I never would have gotten an elk. What I'm trying to say is if it gets you out of civilization and into the great outdoors it's a worthwhile endeavor.
    Real of Tayopa likes this.

  9. #24
    si
    Nov 2017
    Countryside
    DBP2010, eeTH
    50
    55 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Well, i heared the history is the best teacher, so let us teke a glance on two stories, out of many. Once upon a time, over seven oceans, thare was a government founded agency of one country, found a shipwreack with alledge treasure on it. Another country clamed it inmediately and starded yares long legal fight..... i do not know how or if the dispute was resolved. Another, i would like to shine a light to, is a well known Lake Toplitz scam. There was a group of divers / investigators with all the proper govenment permitions and blessings, who clamed to found the pile of Nazi gold. The "gold" was confiscated so fast they didn't even have the time to notice it's a pile of worthless brass rather then gold. Once they realized it, they dully and "honestly" returned the "find" to the "finder". But the government of that country lerned well, the ban on diving and investigateing the lake was issued, and is still in force.
    Here is the bonus questione i urge you to anwswr to yourselfe only, not in here: if the Nazi gold would have been found, to whom would it belong: to the finder, to the country where it was found, to the Germany, to the German neo-nazi party, to the people of Israel, to the state of Israel or to someone else?
    It seems the inter/intra-national legal relations, laws and other legal stuff is utterly complicated, but we know better, don't we? It is very simple really, it's like showing something everybody would like to have in the pub - and the biggest bully gets it. And it's not just treasure hunting story; it used to be the cole mining story, the cooper ore story, the oil story, the on-going drinking water story, the on-going food prevaleing story......to keep things short, make no mistake - the only right you are allowed to keep is the one you are able to defend!

  10. #25

    Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    13,524
    9856 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreenBoy View Post
    ....
    Green-boy, let's just cut-to-the-chase:

    The various treasure legends might or are TRUE. However, a history of "govt. meddling" thwarts these stories from being substantiated. And/or the big-bad-govt. comes in and swoops it away. Right ? And we can ALL point out "suspicious circumstances" which ..... of course : All point to conspiracies, shady deals, proof, etc.... Right ?

    The lack-of-treasure to show NEVER means "no treasure". Instead, it only points to sneaky behind-the-scenes govt. ("bully") coverups. Right ?
    Keppy and Real of Tayopa like this.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

  11. #26
    si
    Nov 2017
    Countryside
    DBP2010, eeTH
    50
    55 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Oh, dear... i believe some legents are historicaly corect and verifiable to some degree, at least, some are not. I do belive there are treasures hidden out there, either described by some legend, or not, but in my oppinion finding of a greater value tresaure (material, not historical) is scarse an difficult and more a chance of good luck than anything else. I do not belive the governments are inheretly evil and bully, but if the value is large enough, there will be people and institutiones with different feelings and ideas of historical and legal right and wrong, usually leading in legal battels no one would really like to participate.

    There is a real treasure found every once in a blue moon, non the less.
    Last edited by TheGreenBoy; Apr 15, 2019 at 02:41 PM.
    Real of Tayopa likes this.

  12. #27
    us
    Sep 2016
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Equinox 800, White's Goldmaster
    124
    123 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Keppy View Post
    I do not hunt legendary lost treasure reason ... I think it has all been found by some one by now and never told about . And some of the stories are just myths.
    I disagree. I think there’s still TONS out there. I’m in Alaska. Lots of unexplored lands that we’re used by native Alaskans centuries ago as well as gold rush era stuff. Also depends on what you consider “treasure”. I absolutely love our native culture here. Finding that to me is a treasure. It may not be a treasure box from a pirate filled with gold, but it’s lost treasure.

  13. #28

    Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    13,524
    9856 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreenBoy View Post
    ... some legents are historicaly corect and verifiable to some degree, ....
    On the contrary. They are "99 % verifiable to some degree". Names, dates, events, etc... will all be true. All good treasure legends are built around true/real names/dates/events. The "gotcha" is: That dastardly 1% of the formula: "Is there a treasure ?". If that 1% isn't true, then .......... what good does it do that the other 99% is true ? Nothing at all
    Real of Tayopa likes this.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

  14. #29
    us
    Jun 2006
    Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
    WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
    4,108
    2602 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View Post
    Here is where the devil is in the details. I assume, that by the "research" you allude to, is to ascertain the validity and truthfulness of the various components of the story. Eg.: Names of actual persons that .... yes did exist, and yes did live there, etc... Right ? Names and dates of battles or bank-robberies, etc.... Right ? Factual-ness of persons who said they saw such & such, and therefore suspect such & such, etc.... Right ?


    And for every-single-one of the treasure legends: YES ! You can fill volumes full of "facts that line up". Eg.: Names, dates, events, probable conspiracy motives, "uncanny squiggles on rocks", fuel capacity of ships, fibers, etc....

    None of the legends ever starts with: "Once upon a time". And so your "research" would be a success. Right ? The treasure legend crowd can announce "true", eh ?

    But this fails to take into account that ALL treasure legends are based on facts. Eg.: Names, dates, events. Around which is spun a treasure story. So let's say that your "research" shows that 99% of the story is "true". Ok, but if the 1% (about the treasure) isn't true, then what good does the 99% true do ?
    Cliffsnotes version. ---- Tom in Ca. (aka Sheldon) says there's no such thing as a treasure legend, there are no caches, the Spanish buried nothing EVER! So don't even bother.
    Texas Jay and Real of Tayopa like this.
    I know it's here, just need a bigger coil!

    I think I know what my last words will be....
    "Hold my beer and watch this!"

  15. #30

    Oct 2016
    1,733
    937 times
    Researching Treasure Stories Author
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View Post
    Here is where the devil is in the details. I assume, that by the "research" you allude to, is to ascertain the validity and truthfulness of the various components of the story. Eg.: Names of actual persons that .... yes did exist, and yes did live there, etc... Right ? Names and dates of battles or bank-robberies, etc.... Right ? Factual-ness of persons who said they saw such & such, and therefore suspect such & such, etc.... Right ?


    And for every-single-one of the treasure legends: YES ! You can fill volumes full of "facts that line up". Eg.: Names, dates, events, probable conspiracy motives, "uncanny squiggles on rocks", fuel capacity of ships, fibers, etc....

    None of the legends ever starts with: "Once upon a time". And so your "research" would be a success. Right ? The treasure legend crowd can announce "true", eh ?

    But this fails to take into account that ALL treasure legends are based on facts. Eg.: Names, dates, events. Around which is spun a treasure story. So let's say that your "research" shows that 99% of the story is "true". Ok, but if the 1% (about the treasure) isn't true, then what good does the 99% true do ?
    Tom there isn't all that much to doing this sort of thing, taking the legends and turning it into books. All leads from the past can be traced back in time. Imagine a series of books selling over the years and receiving monthly royalities! Profit without leaving the house. The tourist locations are very interested in local history and Old West which I combine into the stories, to sell to those passing thru. I am more than willing to share my 60/40 with them.

 

 
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Viking Age treasures connected to legendary Danish king
    By enochsea7 in forum Treasure In The News!
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Apr 16, 2018, 09:47 AM
  2. [HONORABLE MENTION] Long-Lost Military Footlocker Found and Returned 51 Years Later - Legendary Pilot
    By parsonwalker in forum Honorable Mention
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: Mar 11, 2018, 11:04 PM
  3. [HONORABLE MENTION] Long-Lost Military Footlocker Found and Returned 51 Years Later - Legendary Pilot
    By parsonwalker in forum Today's Finds!
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: Mar 27, 2017, 10:32 PM
  4. El Dorado, Legendary Lost City of Gold, Found in Amazon
    By kc10bull in forum Treasure In The News!
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Apr 29, 2013, 10:50 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: Apr 07, 2007, 02:44 PM

Tags for this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0