Recovery speed

Murph

Jul 19, 2004
sarasota
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT
Since I began using a Minelab Sovereign I have become aware of "recovery speed". You cant miss it with this machine. Threshold nulls out and takes a second to come back. I hear people say its a slow sweep machine.

But don't all detectors have this recovery time? In silent search or SS only machines machines that don't null like this how do people know there detector has just passed over a target that has been rejected and know to slow down until there machine is ready for another target?

I consider this nulling a "feature" when it comes to the minelabs others just say its a slow machine. But without it how do they know just how slow or fast the machine they are comparing it to is?

I hear people with new detectors say they have gone right behind the next guy and found targets he missed. Is it not more likely that the guy with the new machine was just moving a tad slower which allowed his detector to recover thus avoiding walking right over good targets while the machine was in recovery.

At this point when I see my competition at the beach and the guy is moving a mile a minute with wildly arcing swing pattern I don't worry about it much.

doozis

Jul 31, 2007
Virginia
I think many people forget just how small the detection area is
when you get past a couple inches or depth , I know I do. Often the same person with the same machine will find items in the same place they have hit many times before. So sweep speed is not the only factor , overlap coverage certainly plays a big part.

Doozis

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
i have never used a Sovereign, would like to , but dont think i would have the pateince, ive watched the Exp. in action. i use the T-2 and it will hit targets so fast, it can be hard to follow whats happening, im talking really trashy areas,there is no delay. I have found nice small brass pieces in heavy nails where my QXT had missed. will try a sovereign at some point, at least for the experiance at some point, see if i can slow down, it could help. i do love my T-2 though, my only complaint is the coil proved not to be water proof

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I just passed up the opportunity to grab a Minelab Quattro at a great price. One of the things that concerned me was the extremely slow recovery time on the machine. I know I may have made a mistake passing it up, but hindsight is 20-20. The recovery time on both of my Garrett machines is very fast, although neither one can attain the depth of the Minelab machines. On the other hand, I have made great coin finds right next to trash and iron nails, especially with the older CXIII. I may have missed these coins with a slower machine.

The "nulling" feature found on the Minelab machines is purely a visible feature on the Garrett Machine. You must watch the screen for the discriminated items. I think the nulling would be a great feature on the Garretts. I tend to use my ears more than my eyes while detecting.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I'm convinced that the long "boonnnggg" produced by the Sovereign and Excaliber, does indeed create a shadow that can mask nearby targets. I suppose you can go real slow in sweep speed, but at some point, you'd be going too slow (afterall, it IS a motion machine, right?). For this reason, I prefer the Explorer, which has fast quick beeps, that I feel are less prone to masking. JMHO

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Recovery speed is one reason I have been very happy with my Tesoros and my MXT. Each has a very quick recovery which, in spite of several posts from others, the particualr Garrett I used to have did not. It's very frustrating to swing the coil back over an area that just beeped and get no response as you try to pinpoint the signal. A quick, sharp response is always a plus and truly needed in competition hunts. My two bits.
Happy Hunting,
Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread