So it has begun...

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got home from church yesterday and had to access my email in order to print postage for a package I had sold that morning. I had a email from paypal security in French. That is weird because I don't speak French. I ignored it then while in my email I received another one in French that stated my security questions had been changed. Now I am concerned. I tried to log in to paypal and it wouldn't let me in. So I called paypal and cancelled my account. After being on the phone for well over an hour they informed me that I was transferring 2 transactions from my bank to my paypal account...I was not. I told them it was fraud and I can't read these emails since it is in French. Finally got my account closed and proceeded to call fraud protection at my bank and closed my account there and stopped all payments stating that my paypal was hacked and stolen. I did get a update from paypal the they agreed with me and stopped these transactions one was for $1000 and one for $2000. So even though I have a headache I still have my money...just not using paypal anymore.. Has anyone else experienced this lately and is there just an uptick in hackers?

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have that translated. The email might have some clues and might even have been from an Algerian or what not bank rejecting the transfer or asking for authorization.

BUT! Beware of translating personal information online using a translator like Bablefish. If it were me, and I tried to translate online, I would at the very least delete any numerals, or recognizable passwords, from the French entered! If I have any friends that speak French I would use them instead.

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, it's not the paypal - it's the computer age with all its pros and cons, new tools and the same old people....
I have opened the paypal account with the pre-paied Visa card i am using for net transactions only. I keep the card account empty until i need the money, than i put the small amounth on it for a short time. We say in our country that not even an army can take what's not there.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A while back I woke up and had a couple emails from paypal for withdraws i didn't make, 3 transactions started out like 30 cents then 7$ then 43$ wasn't much but i called paypal they noticed that they where fraudulent and refunded my money and havent had a problem since that was 5 years ago...

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never had a problem. However, my passwords are beyond stupid.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A long time back, I opened a Paypal account with a $1000 balance (and maximum) to keep the money separate from our other accounts in case someone got into my Paypal account. Because of stories I have heard, I now keep the account balance at no more than $200. I only used Paypal for Ebay purchases, and I dont buy much on Ebay anymore so problem solved !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread