Hunting corn fields.

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
I live near a river system rich with history and along it are several cornfield. How and where do you start? I look at these big fields and my 9.5 coil and get a little overwelmed?

Also, any experiences and finds in corn or large fields would be great information as well as inspiring to get out there. May not be able to this season, as Pheasant season is about to start, but we will see.

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I haven't used a metal detector in the corn fields around my house but I do hunt for artifacts. I look for chips of flint and find the general area where there would have been a camp. I don't find very many whole arrowheads in those, they're usually broken. I find the whole ones quite a distance from the heavily flinted areas.

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Near the road. New roads generally follow the old. At the tree lines that seem out of place. These were sometimes where people would put in the old roads to access their property. At the highest spots in the fields. Talk to the land owner and ask if they remember any old houses ever being on the property. You would be suprised at what they tell you was there before it was cleared to make tillable ground.

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Walk the fields and look for signs of habitation...pottery shards, glass, or brick.
Maybe you can tell where or if there was a crossing at one time.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
teverly said:
Walk the fields and look for signs of habitation...pottery shards, glass, or brick.
Maybe you can tell where or if there was a crossing at one time.
I agree. Good advice. If the field isnt flat and is near water, I might suggest starting with the higher areas in the field.

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree..also keep your eyes open for those indian artifacts!!!!
Also if you can find an old county atlas or old maps,look for old home sites.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread