Nox 800 question

rjeffw

Mar 27, 2017
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I started with a Garrett At Pro and made the move to the Nox, mainly for the beach stuff. That aside, on the AT nails and most iron stuff always rang up in the 1-25 range, so I pretty much discriminated them out, and I was left with what I wanted to find. So Saturday night I hit my new permission for a few hours and so many nails, rusty old iron ones are ringing up in the positive numbers between 1-17. I though they would ring up in the - numbers that are automatically discriminated out on the Nox. Anybody else run into this? Hard to tell what to dig, when nails are ringing up the same as gold and nickels. I am using the presets, nothing custom.

gklug

Jul 22, 2014
Wilkes-Barre
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro with 8.5x11 DD stock coil, 5x8 DD and NEL Storm coil. Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I started with a Garrett At Pro and made the move to the Nox, mainly for the beach stuff. That aside, on the AT nails and most iron stuff always rang up in the 1-25 range, so I pretty much discriminated them out, and I was left with what I wanted to find. So Saturday night I hit my new permission for a few hours and so many nails, rusty old iron ones are ringing up in the positive numbers between 1-17. I though they would ring up in the - numbers that are automatically discriminated out on the Nox. Anybody else run into this? Hard to tell what to dig, when nails are ringing up the same as gold and nickels. I am using the presets, nothing custom.

rjeffw...I am in the same boat coming from five years using the AT Pro and switching to the Nox 800. I've watched so many videos, read the manual and even did a little test garden in my side yard with a lot of the main coin finds to see what range they come up in. I probably have a good 30-40 hours on the Nox and what I have come up with is not to trust the numbers; LOL. The only things that I have found to be consistent number wise are the old beaver tail pull tabs which normally ring up between 16-19 for me. I have come across rusty nails of all lengths and thickness and they sound like clad dimes or better but nope. So basically I trust my ears over the screen. Sorry, just my opinion.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Usually when I dig a rusty nail it because I desided to take a chance with a iffy signal or its mixed in with a good target... The more you use your Nox the more you can tell whats under your coil, the only time I dig 17s is on a solid tone in every direction, now if I get a 17 but hear a high tone mixed in Ill dig it and alot of the times come up with a Indian or wheat from down deep... I hit alot of trashy parks and leveled lots mostly coin shooting park 1 , but when Im on old home site Ill use park2 5 tone and dig 15s on up all day as long has they are constant...

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After you pin point those jumpier signals swing over pointed spot in your program again. Often the "good" signal you are getting is to the side of the nail or iron.

OP
OP
rjeffw

rjeffw

Mar 27, 2017
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Usually when I dig a rusty nail it because I desided to take a chance with a iffy signal or its mixed in with a good target... The more you use your Nox the more you can tell whats under your coil, the only time I dig 17s is on a solid tone in every direction, now if I get a 17 but hear a high tone mixed in Ill dig it and alot of the times come up with a Indian or wheat from down deep... I hit alot of trashy parks and leveled lots mostly coin shooting park 1 , but when Im on old home site Ill use park2 5 tone and dig 15s on up all day as long has they are constant...

From what I can tell the difference between the park 1 or 2 farm 1 or 2 is the 2 setting has multi tones. What is the purpose of the 1 setting, and is their that much difference between the 1 and 2 setting?

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the only things that still throws me off (rarely) is really rusted out crown caps. Sometimes they ring in a solid 13 like a nickel. Nails have not been a problem for me. The EQ800 will separate extremely well with trash items like crown caps and nails. This weekend I found a Mercury dime in the same hole with a rusty crown cap, I dug it because it was giving a high squeak on a really scratchy signal. I hunt primarily in Park 1, with 50 tones. 50 tones helps ME "discriminate" much better than 5 tones does. The sounds take some getting used to, but it's been killer in one of the huge parks I often hunt. Got a dime trifecta on Saturday, Barber/Merc/Rosie, I love my Equinox!

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I can tell the difference between the park 1 or 2 farm 1 or 2 is the 2 setting has multi tones. What is the purpose of the 1 setting, and is their that much difference between the 1 and 2 setting?

not exactly sure but I have noticed that brass picks up alot better in park 2 and seems all around more sensitive, I usually only use park2 in old yards or at the beach (fresh water)...

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some thing Iv bin doing when watching youtube people is guessing the target by their vdi numbers I can usually get them right, might help ya a little...

Check out Square Nail Squirrel he does a great job of showing numbers and elaborating on finds...

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With my 800, as long as its a solid signal, I dig it. I am an old fashioned audio hunter, and rarely look at the numbers. Although I do look at them occasionally, It doesn't matter how high or low the number is. If it rings solid, I'm digging it !

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tzeurehunter and I are in agreement. If it's even CLOSE, dig it! Gold likes to hide.

Last edited:

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I moved to the Nox after starting with a Garrett for a couple years.

On the Nox...
*VDI 17 is the main # I get for rusty nails. If you pinpoint and it is big, pass. If you get bouncy 17’s and other varying numbers, pass. If you go to Horseshoe mode and hear iron along with 17, pass.

Note. Park1 will help minimize falsing iron vs Field2

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On my Nox 600 if it’s solid in all directions I dig it. I usually dig everything anyway. Sometimes I will switch over to horseshoe all metal mode to see if it gives an iron grunt and if it does I won’t dig it unless of course I’m relic hunting.

OP
OP
rjeffw

rjeffw

Mar 27, 2017
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the info. One thing I noticed, and not sure if this is a issue or not, but my sensitivity was, and always has been at the max. I turned it down. I know this will help on town square where I get the chatter, but maybe it will help in other ways.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all the info. One thing I noticed, and not sure if this is a issue or not, but my sensitivity was, and always has been at the max. I turned it down. I know this will help on town square where I get the chatter, but maybe it will help in other ways.

Dropping sensitivity down to 21 really cuts down on the amount of pings and pop signals. It will also help reduce falsing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread