Which one to get rid of?

btripp6

Jul 6, 2015
Grovetown, GA
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer AT, XP MI-6 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thinking of getting rid of my Deus or 3030 and getting a Nox 800. Ideas, comments, or recommendations.

I have a 3030 already but looking for a more economic all around machine, especially for salt water. I know the Deus is great at relic hunting but so is the 3030. This decision shouldn't be as hard as I am making it out to be.

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
don't fuss about it , just buy the 800 and you will have 3 fantastic metal detectors , you know you want to...

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's kind of a downgrade. Maybe what 3cylbill said, just pop for either the 600 or 800 and have three.

OP
OP
B

btripp6

Jul 6, 2015
Grovetown, GA
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer AT, XP MI-6 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's more than likely what I'll end up doing. Now to present it to my financial advisor!! LOL

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm pretty sure the Deus has a faster speed than the 3030. It will be interesting to see what the manufacturers come up with by Christmas. It might be wise to wait a bit since you have two powerful machines already.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's more than likely what I'll end up doing. Now to present it to my financial advisor!! LOL
Best of luck to you in your presentation to your financial advisor. If she is anything like mine, I'm most likely to hear her reply. Lol But that's not too terribly far away......I'm a Georgian too.

Last edited:

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As you can see I have an 800 and a Sea Hunter.
Got the 800 in Jan., have maybe 100 hours beach hunting with it. Was done with it after that. with the exception of one hurricane ravaged beach.
Had the Mark II since first month of production, whenever that was, it's spent a lot of time on the beach and made some great finds and dug even more junk.

Keep whichever one you like best. They're both good detectors.
With what you have now, I would not buy an 800, if I were you.
Other than the ability to hunt saltwater, your other two detectors are as good as or better than the 800 for upland detecting.
The 800 will hunt saltwater better than any other VLF detector but, it doesn't compare to a PI detector in salt water.
No VLF detector will give you the depth and stability of a PI detector.
If you want to get serious about salt water detecting, buy a PI detector.
By serious, I mean you are going to dig every target.
Look at the Garrett Sea Hunter:

https://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_sea_hunter_main_en.aspx

You can buy a new one for the low $600s or $700s with both coils or a used one for less.
Count on buying the 10X14 coil.
If you what to be a little more picky and not dig iron when you are beach hunting and don't mind losing stability and depth, then the 800 is a good choice.
Other than ferrous metals, good targets cover the full spectrum of positive numbers on a VLF detector when beach hunting.
I dig foil, bottle caps, pulltabs, tent pegs along with all the other junk with both detectors, I just dig it deeper, along with good targets with a PI detector.
So essentially you want to spend $899 on a detector + $239 on a big coil, that gives less than optimal performance for what you want to use it for, when you can buy something much better suited for your purpose for less.
Whatever beach detector you buy, get a big coil.

boohboak

May 28, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know how to advise you properly but I think 800 is reasonable,
apkafe.com

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deep1 is correct. The PI's are best at the beach, although I found my 1774 Gold Guinea at a saltwater beach with a $329 Tesoro Cibola. I could detune it a little and get good stuff.

I'd wait until the fall, see what comes out, and try not to be the first guinea pig on a new model.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I can tell you, is that I really like my 800. Good deep seeking detector, that is light to swing, and the cordless headphones are a plus for me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread