Minelab X-Terra 70 any good??? ANy thoughts?

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
very good machine ! and with the 6x10 DD coil its great also ;)

OP
OP
R

robert roy

I notice it resembles the F75 and F4 in apperance. Is there any similarity in how it operates? I understand that it is considered a good all around MD like my MXT. Unlike my MXT I have heard that MineLab has a high learning curve. Can anyone set me straight on this?
RR

OP
OP
R

robert roy

Oh, by the way, I found these comments on Metal Detector reviews.net and while most were good, I found there were some negatives but I wonder if this has anything to do with the learning curve?

"The best ??? Think again
fed up in london in london uk -
I have had this minelab for a few months but i was very dissapointed with its performance on farm land it failed to find small hammerd ( i put one in the ground 1 inch down it missed it !!
i checked the settings and tried again in all metal nothing !! it may be good on a beach but thats no good if you live 100miles away its light yes but the quality is not there the side headphone socket is a pain it should be on the handle the stem is very light but i wonder if will stand up to hard work if you are just starting i would not pick this machine save your $800 or £600 in england and by a tesoro or whites any of them is better than this one i wish i had
Oct 04, 2006

Not so good in Europe
dennis in netherlands -
It's great what they did at minelab , they build a lightweight detector ! And it's realy a great detector when you are looking for big coins ! But here in the netherlands we have tried to find little coins , like hammered coins , but no signal at all ! That's to bad for such a good machine ! It won't detect fibula's in anyway but the prospectmodus , and we can't use that here , to bad , but further it's a great machine , weight, display and the simple use .
So it's not so great for finding roman and celtic artefacts, but maybe someone has some good info about the sttings???? hope to hear them !
thanks
dennis
[email protected]

When I read this I have to wonder what KIND of coins, what kind of metal content?
Am I wrong in thinking that coins in the USA, Canada, Australia....and Europe may have different electrical conductivity die to the amount of each alloy (if any) used?
ANy experts out there?

Robert R

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
i have not used one but my buddy got one and had no problems and he never tryed metal detecting before. it has plenty of funtions but you dont need to use all at once, the videos are pretty good for learning the XT's

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
Easy to use and pretty powerful. I don't know about hammered coinsat one inch or what size they were but I have persoanlly seen someone get a dime at 9+ here in CT. Over all a good selection for a detector.

EBCIII

Jul 24, 2007
I have been using mine now for a bit over a month. This is my first detector and I really like it. I read as much as I could, and watched the vids on it. I think the learning curve is pretty easy. It has some preset modes, and once you get used to what it is telling you it works very well.

I like the light weight, big number ID, and mutiple coils, Beale.

OP
OP
R

robert roy

Sandman:
Yes, saw the report/review at Lost Treasure but I like to hear from the people useing the MD on a daily basis.
Thanks Again.

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Colonie, NY , That's around Albany
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So far so good, easy to learn and I was able to get right out and start finding.
You just have to learn the ID # and what they mean and it gets somewhat confusing so, I basically just try to listen to what its telling me and that seems to work better.

MrMorph

Aug 16, 2007
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70
I've had mine for a couple of months now. I love it. It is extremely accurate. I have 4 different coils and each does exactly what it is meant to do. I am very please with mine.

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
Very happy with mine also. Just used it in an orginized hunt in Cullman AL and did very well using the high frequency 6 x 10 DD coil. I believe I was the only one there using a Minelab! Man with that coil you can cover some ground in a hunt and the detector is feather light. I didn't even have to switch arms during the hunt. I prefer the 10 inch DD coil for out in the field and find myself using the XT70 as much as the Explorer II. Great machine. As far as the review from the UK, I don't live in the UK so I don't think I will have worry about find a hammered anything.

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Sounds to me like the review from the user who couldn't nail that planted coin at one inch didn't know how to set up his unit correctly or had a faulty one. I don't have one, but I have heard they are good..........my true advice would be to forget about one altogether and for the money you are going to pay, buy the cleanest used Minelab Explorer. I got the older XS model, and trust me, it's a monster.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread