Link for Newspaper Story on 17th Century Red Sea Pirate Coins Found in New England

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Providence Journal (Rhode Island's largest newspaper) has a detailed story running tomorrow in their Sunday edition on the latest research of 17th century Arabian silver coins being found my detectorists in New England? :icon_scratch:??? Yes - New England, and the online format is available now :icon_thumright::icon_thumright::icon_thumright: if anyone want to read up on the ongoing recovery of these intriguing coins. The article presents the evidence connecting these detecting finds to one of the greatest robberies in the history of piracy, Henry Every's capture of the Mughal treasure ship Gunsway in 1695. :skullflag::skullflag::skullflag: Lots of great pics.
Here's the link:

https://www.providencejournal.com/news/20190705/pirate-tale-unearthed-by-amateur-historian-from-warwick

My connection to this story began with my own recovery of one such coin back in 2014, which I posted on TNet in 2014. It made TNet's banner. Here's a link to for that thread as well.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/417331-1693-hammered-silver-pirates-coin-updated-below.html

Thank you,

Jim Bailey
STC

Samanthy

Apr 22, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
White‘s Sierra Madre
White‘s TM–600
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Good job Jim! And not a professional archaeologist in sight!

OP
OP
Silver Tree Chaser

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job Jim! And not a professional archaeologist in sight!

Thank you. Availability of primary source documents online is a big game changer for detectorists who want to step up their research.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a really interesting story! I especially like it because I am from and live in new England. I'm currently reading God, War and Providence which is a fascinating look into the formation of Rhode Island. I'm guessing you probably already read it! Thanks for sharing and I also greatly appreciate your post about the coin you found. I've read it a couple times.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Time to get out there before its snatched up

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread