Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Re: It's HERE!

Heheheh, don't ya just hate that itch?

Well, get better soon so ya can amaze us with your finds! :)

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark

Sounds like you need some good home made chicken soup and a good sleep. Hope you are feeling better soon.

OP
OP
D

Demrok

May 24, 2007

haha yeah chicken soup hit the spot =D
Feeling better today, and yeah I read the "manuals" lol online tips and the such
Crackbadgers videos on YouTube were awesome help

Also been trying to find out the laws in Sarasota/Bradenton/Florida on metal detectors in parks and beaches...
seems it's legal in most places so long as I patch up the "divets" well enough and leave no trace I was there..

Found a site suggesting some good beaches..
Anyone have any first hand info on Florida Detecting?

Murph

Jul 19, 2004
sarasota
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT

Demrok said:
haha yeah chicken soup hit the spot =D
Feeling better today, and yeah I read the "manuals" lol online tips and the such
Crackbadgers videos on YouTube were awesome help

Also been trying to find out the laws in Sarasota/Bradenton/Florida on metal detectors in parks and beaches...
seems it's legal in most places so long as I patch up the "divets" well enough and leave no trace I was there..

Found a site suggesting some good beaches..
Anyone have any first hand info on Florida Detecting?

ya got miles of beach that are open to detecting. Don't know how close you are to Siesta but a good first spot for you to hit and an area where I always find at least a pocket full of clad on Saturday morning (sometimes even before turning on the detector) is the Terrace condo beach access. It is the first access after you get through the village and right at the the curve back around toward Siesta pavilion. Ya cant miss it; there is a six story building with the word "Terrace" on it. I will be there first lite on sat morning swinging a Sovereign GT. Don't hesitate to give a shout if you see me.

There is pretty productive area of dry sand here to hunt with reasonably spread out targets and a good place for you to start to get a handle on the ace without tons of trash to confuse you. Like you I started out with an ace but switched to the sov to get some more depth and most importantly stability in the wet. Wont be much wet this weekend with a high tide sat morning. There have been some storms out in the gulf and hopefully there will be a ridge of dry sand build up right at waters edge where some good targets got pushed up.

If your closer to Bradenton; from Anna Maria all the way to the bridge at Long Boat was relatively trash free last week with decently spread out targets. Unfortunately value targets where also pretty slim when I was there. I would pass on the densely populated areas in front of the siesta pavilion and lido until you get use to your new detector. They are infested with aluminum can shreds right now and might frustrate you a bit. I would stay on the edges of these public areas. North end of lido south until you hit the trash. South lido park along the pass should be good too.

Shell road access on siesta is always worth a shot also. Turtle beach on the vary south end of Siesta is always worth a try but was re-nourished not so long ago so recent finds may be it for this area. I will probably hit this area Sunday morning as I have not checked it out in a few months.

Good luck with your new detector.

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab

Congrats on your new Ace 250. Get over that crud and get out there. hehe It sounds like you and Murph should hook up and hunt together. Its always a kick to have a huting buddy and there is safty in numbers too. Good luck and Happy Hunting.

Desertfox

OP
OP
D

Demrok

May 24, 2007

Thanks you two =)

And Murph that's some great advice =D I'm about 30 min or so from Siesta
Hopefully I'll see you out there lol

Are we allowed to search the whole beach? I read someplace from where the water meets at high tide to the end of the dune, meaning not where the waves lap? Just not sure on that... although I don't expect anyone who would enforce that kinda stuff to be out there at 6am >_< Just wanna know what not to do ^_^

Murph

Jul 19, 2004
sarasota
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT

you can hunt anywhere just stay off the sea oats. Not likely to find anything there any way most people don't venture into them to drop something. Hit it first light and you should have three hours of comfortable hunting time before the heat gets to you.

OP
OP
D

Demrok

May 24, 2007

Sweet =D

Do you hunt other places or just beaches? I see the whole State Parks are off limits..
but what about Tot lots and playgrounds? Permission based?

Murph

Jul 19, 2004
sarasota
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT

Every once in a while I will try a park or playground. Public property is just that and if I don't see a sign saying otherwise I just assume it ok and hunt it. State parks excluded.

We are lucky with all the beaches. They have a lot to offer. First off with a sand scoop digging is quick and easy. There is a constant flow of "depositors". People are use to seeing metal detectors here and don't give it a second thought. You are not digging up someones sports area. Fall is here meaning comfortable temps and lower tides. Targets are usually spread out better which is ideal for those just learning there machines.

I bet if you hit the beaches on just weekend mornings you can pay for the ace on clad finds within a year. Consider the silver and gold bonus pay. The ace is a good detector but I give ten to one odds that if you become a beach hunter you will end up wanting to move to a detector more stable for the wet sand. I am planning on moving up to an excal this spring and will sell you the sov GT at a big savings. IMO you cant beat the minelabs for beach use but you sure can beat them for trashy inland sites which is what you have in the ace. I sold my ace when I upgraded to the sov but to be honest if I still had it and on the rare occasion I hit and inland sight I would probably grab it over the sov especially if I expected to encounter a trashy site.

OP
OP
D

Demrok

May 24, 2007

Hmmm very good advice
and yeah I my original idea was to get it for hunting around old house sites and stuff, knowing it may not work well on the beach/sand. But after seeing CrackBadgers video I decided it was a great price (because it was used) and I was gonna do this already =)
So I guess I'll have to try some parks sometime then.

Annnnnnnnnnd... I never made it out this morning... :-[
I stayed up late watching a movie.. and at 5am I was sitting on the bed waiting a little longer to get ready to leave and I think I blinked 2 times.. when I opened my eyes the second time it was 9am >_> Soooooo I think I'd going to hit Lido Key beach Sunday at the crack of dawn. It's kinda cloudy today so I doubt many people will have been there but I'll still be hopeful ;)

Thanks for the tips Murph =D and once I pay off the ACE I may just take you up on that offer ;)

OP
OP
D

Demrok

May 24, 2007

Well I hit Lido Key Beach this morning
6:50am, the sun wasn't even up and I was swinging, using my cell phone to light up my LCD so I could see what the Ace "thought" it might be..

Dug A LOT of pop can bottoms, sheared off and jaggy.. the deepest one was about 10 inches down o_O a fully intact aluminum can that was registering as a quarter in the wet sand lol

despite the many signs I saw posted saying "Lost Ring with MG initials... Reward" I didn't find the poor mans ring =/
no location where it was.. just posted along the beach multiple times...

and not even a penny to be found..
only thing I found worth keeping was a Motorola Cell phone belt clip, in good condition

But I had a blast and swung it for 2 hours straight =) if I didn't have to drive the GFs 2 brothers to church for 9:30 I would have stayed out another 2 xD

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Tesoro, Whites DFX, Nokta Impact Pro, Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

some times when i hunt the beach I set my machine on pin point and leave it...lol
dig it all esspecialy the aluminum hits,...i know its boring but most gold rings hit as aluminum.
Rick

Murph

Jul 19, 2004
sarasota
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT

Yep the beaches are a mess right now in Sarasota. Hit siesta Sunday and mounds and mounds of seaweed was washing up. They were trying to clean it up and had formed piles of it 30 yards along by 30 feet high. And then trashy to boot. Aluminum can shreds every ten feet. What a mess. Found a bit of clad but all the trash digging wore me out pretty quick. All the clad was deep to but not the can slaw.

Probably best hitting an inland sight for now or hit the passes. N. Shell road on siesta or south lido park along the pass. We really need a storm but it so bad right now I would just settle for temps under 90. Is it fall yet? It must be I saw someone selling pumpkins along the side of the road. :D

Funny thing was when I was watching the tube after my hunt on Sunday there was a travel show on rating Siesta beach as the second best beach in the state. Hard to believe they were talking about the same beach I had just come from. I wouldnt even let a kid dig in the sand there right now. There likely to pull back a bloody stump from lacerating themselfs on the can slaw.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions