Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 1000,
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to familiarize myself with the new Nox 800 so I roughed out a test garden.
test garden.jpg
I used some common junk items I previously found and combined them with some silver and gold.
test items02.jpg
I cleared the area of .22 birdshot shells (around here they are a common way to deal with buzzworms). These consistently came up '9' and a medium-low tone. The wire sounded like two targets around 9.
test bed cleared.jpg
I marked the targets with numbered poker chips corresponding to the sketch.
test bed 02.jpg
I placed the targets about three feet apart and started in Park 1, noise cancelled and ground balanced.
That discrimination is phenomenal. The buckle gave up a minor squeak and that's about it. The old copper coin rang in around 9. I got very little from the clad dime and almost nothing from the old nickel. The detector completely ignored the lag screw! I was a little disappointed with the signal from the gold ring but I'll try that again from various angles and depths. The payoff was the small silver bracelet. The signal was distinctly high and strong. I looked at the display and it read a consistent '26'.
Damn, I like this machine already.

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buzzworm = Rattlesnake?

Put a quarter 2" under the lag screw and see what you get. I play around with putting trash over or beside the good items in my test garden to see what my detectors react like.

OP
OP
Pick_axe

Pick_axe

May 3, 2015
Columbus NM
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 1000,
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, rattlesnake. Southwestern diamondbacks. I use a .357 with a Glazer shot shell.
I'll try the quarter under the lag screw, thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread