How do you label your individual civil war bullets?

MrMarsHill

Jan 15, 2019
Mars Hill NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 300, current main user.
Garret AT Propointer, current main user.
Garrett GTAX750, classic machine and I love it!
Bounty hunter tracker iv, missing knob bought used on eBay... Still find
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi! I am starting to build quite a collection of civil war bullets, coins, buttons etc. About half are dug by me, but I've bought a few items to fill out my collection. It's getting to the point where I have trouble keeping up with exactly which bullet was dug where. I see all the time where people have "labeled" the bullets directly on the bullet. Is this acceptable? I've searched here and google and can find no mention of this being a good or bad idea. I dont plan to sell my collection and I wouldnt personally mind to have the provenance literally on the bullet, but is this acceptable practice? I surely wouldnt write on one of my dug coins, but that's a no brainer. Is there a special ink/marker/pen I would use? I also have seen some people who have used a small amount of liquid paper on the bullet to write on, is this better(more easily removed etc)? I understand the bullets are mine and I can do whatever I want with them, but I dont want them to get mixed up and lose their provenance either. I will probably eventually build a case, but at the moment my wife has given me the mantle! I guess the question is simply, is it acceptable to write a dug bullet's provenance ON the bullet? I'd hate to think I "ruined" them, but losing the story would be almost just as sad to me. I currently have detailed pics and descriptions etc in a catalog, but it's still confusing and plenty of the bullets are almost identical to each other. Thanks for your opinions and advice and happy hunting!
Jim Brown
Bonez Customs and Collectables
@bonezcustoms on IG

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have many many relics I need to finish labeling, but here is how I do my things. When I dig them and return home, I wash things and bag either in ziploc or walmart bags. I then label the bags or put a note in them with date and location of those bags of relics. With battlefield relics in recent years I've gotten to where I print out a google earth image and best as I can I pinpoint where I dug the artifact and mark it on the map (my brother uses gps, but I just prefer this method myself as you have no visual with the coordinates alone.) Anyway, when I finally get to labeling. I use acrylic paint and put a dab on the relic and with the finest pen I have( I use copic multiliner and have a selection of 0.03, 0.3, 0.1 and 0.7) I use jeweler's glasses and label it clearly and as small as I can. I've never heard of anyone saying it detracts and provenance on artifacts only adds to the importance and value. The reason why, if it's just mixed in with other bullets, it loses the history and knowing where and what an artifact was involved in makes it much more important. Also, one day when we are long gone, I guarantee it will be much appreciated that time was taken to label information on dug relics and helping to preserve their history. If they are just tossed into a jar all together, that would be lost forever.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like old mason jars with a label where they were found

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I personally would never, ever, ever, under any circumstances EVER label a bullet with a pen, sharpie etc., but that's personal preference. I use Lineup Multi collector, a free cataloging system. With a quick tutorial, it's really simple and easy, and you can customize it to a point as well.

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of my early NA stuff I numbered right on the artifact with white latex paint and a straight pin. I can easily scrape the paint off with a finger nail and it shows well for me. Relics that make it to a display will get grouped by where I found them.

OP
OP
MrMarsHill

MrMarsHill

Jan 15, 2019
Mars Hill NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 300, current main user.
Garret AT Propointer, current main user.
Garrett GTAX750, classic machine and I love it!
Bounty hunter tracker iv, missing knob bought used on eBay... Still find
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like the white latex paint idea(easily removed if desired), and the google earth cataloguing for the locations. I have a CW spot with a particularly important provenance and I dont want these relics to get mixed up with everything else. My catalog now has pics, measurements, dig location, date etc, but I know I will lose track one day and I dont want to be guessing. The provenance of an item is of utmost importance to me. I appreciate all the replies, all solid advice. Personally, I think I'm labeling my "special" finds directly on the surface. I know I'll feel a lot better! Now to just get my daughter to do the labeling... I have the handwriting of an 8 year old using his feet lol. Any further opinions and methods are MUCH appreciated. It was also just interesting hearing you guy's individual methods! Thanks again!
Jim Brown
Bonez Customs and Collectables
@bonezcustoms on IG

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just used numbers on the piece and cataloged the numbers in a notebook where I could go back for reference.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread