Buried gun

SpareSomeChange

Aug 17, 2019
The 3rd Planet
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After not finding much but some rusty junk i was ready to leave, there was only 1 target left and i didn't want to dig it because after 2" of topsoil the earth turned to all rocks and sand and roots but what the heck. This is about 1/4 to 1/2 mile up a mountain in the middle of the woods, right next to a tree. This area was strange to me because i have never seen so many ghost flowers in my life, i had actually stopped to take some pics of them when i decided to break out the detector.
20190914_112531.jpg 20190914_144619.jpg 20190914_144523.jpg

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most likely used in a Crime. why else would someone go out of there way to bury it in a remote area.

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Might want to turn over to local PD or Sheriff's Dept. YOU don't want to be charged with a crime if caught with that. You should be able to get it back if it comes back clean.

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anything buried beneath it? And yeah, like they said, I'd call the sheriff's dept.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All of the above. You don't want to get caught with that in your possession if it was involved in a crime.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find but like everyone says I would pass it to the police. What is a Ghost Flower?

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Call the LE agency with jurisdiction. If there is more than one agency - such as local sheriff's ofc or state police, call the one you trust more. In my area, that means the state police and not the Sheriff's Ofc, but there is great variation depending on where you are located.

OP
OP
S

SpareSomeChange

Aug 17, 2019
The 3rd Planet
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all, Yeah the gun was passed on to the police yesterday. It was completely unusable and seized up. Doing a little research on it while i had it showed it was a super cheap gun. in 1968 the Gov't passed a law banning cheap foreign guns being imported in some way and this (Raven Arms) company was one that had stepped up to fill the gap. They came into business in 1970 and went to 1991 i believe. I held on to it just long enough to give the rest of the area a proper search for anything else valuable buried that would be better placed in my hands than a police evidence locker :ruby::3coins::3barsgold: but no such luck. The police did what they do best and made me regret ever talking to them by giving me a hard time but they took it. I ended up have more good luck just a short distance away and left a lot of good targets to go back to! 20190914_100729.jpg These are ghost flowers BLK HOLE.

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, that's a nickel plated .25 Raven Arms. I own an identical one. Bought it new-in-box in the 80's for less than $50. Although I have no practical use for it, it's actually a reliable gun if you use quality hardball ammo. Took it to the gun range a couple of years ago and it still functioned perfectly. I recall the 1985 Gun Digest stating it was one of the best low-priced guns in production. More than 1 million made. FYI.

TCK

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Might want to turn over to local PD or Sheriff's Dept. YOU don't want to be charged with a crime if caught with that. You should be able to get it back if it comes back clean.
GET A RECEIPT when turning it in! Take someone with you to document turning it in. If stolen, you will not get it back. If used in a crime, you MAY not get it back. Tell the police exactly where you found it. If there is other forensic evidence in the immediate area, you may be credited with solving the case and may be due reward money. NOTE: If you just keep it and it is stolen, YOU may be facing jail time for possessing stolen property-firearm.... a felony in most states. Just be aware. ╦╦C

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Ghost Flowers" we call "Indian Pipe" around here. It's a unique plant that does not have chlorophyll and doesn't need sunlight.

I agree about turning it over to the police. In this county of NY you'd have to have it on your permit (other counties are more restrictive). It's probably toast as far as evidence though it might be traceable by the serial number.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
if the gun has been in the ground very long, the inside of the barrel would most likely be too rusty up to prove one way or another that it had been used in a crime. the biggest issue would be whether or not it was a reported stolen gun and this would show up in the law running a check on it. and then there is of course local laws to deal with. And yes, this was a cheap gun back then that classified for being a Saturday Night Special or a "throw away gun." I had one back in the mid 70s but preferred to have a .22 than the .25. you probably could have soaked it in something like Navel Jelly and got it freed up but most of the small parts inside would be useless now and not worth trying to repair at all. Still, an awesome find to find.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if the gun has been in the ground very long, the inside of the barrel would most likely be too rusty up to prove one way or another that it had been used in a crime. the biggest issue would be whether or not it was a reported stolen gun and this would show up in the law running a check on it. and then there is of course local laws to deal with. And yes, this was a cheap gun back then that classified for being a Saturday Night Special or a "throw away gun." I had one back in the mid 70s but preferred to have a .22 than the .25. you probably could have soaked it in something like Navel Jelly and got it freed up but most of the small parts inside would be useless now and not worth trying to repair at all. Still, an awesome find to find.
'
The original intent of the Saturday Night Special law was to keep firearms out of the inner cities. The people in the "ghettos" could only afford cheap handguns. Make cheap guns illegal and you've disarmed the inner city population.... in theory. Didn't work. ╦╦C

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Should you ever find a lever action 30-30 send it to me

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread